General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail vs Road King

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012 | 11:51 AM
phxsunbum
|
Intermediate

Wow... thanks for all your great feedback.

All things considered I believe it's the Road King for me.

Thanks again everyone for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

Old 04-04-2012 | 12:51 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

I have wanted a Heritage for a long time. Then I saw the Switchback and fell in love. Then I saw what they wanted for each of those bikes. Then I saw a leftover new RK for 1,000 less than they wanted for the SB. After changing bars, I knew I'd made the right choice. Get one with cruise!!! You will appreciate it on long rides.

Old 04-04-2012 | 01:25 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

I have both, and prefer the King for long trips. But, the comparo ain't fair because my Fatty doesn't have bags or a windsheild. Still prefer the rubber mount to the counterbalanced--feels more "Harleyish".

Only thing is, if you buy a King '08 or up, you will have the TBW--which IMHO really kills the input "feel" of the engine--the throttle doesn't feel "connected" to the motor, and there is a noticeable lag when you clutch away from a stop. Plus, the TBW can behave kinda funky at times when you least expect it. For me, really makes riding unpleasant, so I would never own one. But, I hear they improved 'em for '012, so who knows. If you buy an '07 like I did, you get the best of both worlds--96" motor, 6 speed tranny, and throttle CABLES. Only year of this combo.

Yea; that's it. Get an '07 King. But be sure it has the ESP.

Old 04-04-2012 | 05:28 PM
Hot Rod King
Tourer

I went from a Deuce to Road King and the ride is so much better imo. I loved the Deuce as a bar hopper bike but the King has been great for longer rides and have the wife tag along from time to time. Good luck either way

Old 04-04-2012 | 07:10 PM
Moonrider
Road Master

Great Choice!

Old 04-04-2012 | 09:33 PM
zjones
Cruiser

I think The King has spoken.......

Old 04-04-2012 | 09:56 PM
Ben E
Road Captain

Had it narrowed down to a ST Deluxe and FLHR. Felt like the ST rode easier and sat in it rather then on it. So glad I decided on the RK. You might have to invest more in it to get it right (seat, bars, etc), but it has it all;;;jmho.

Old 04-04-2012 | 10:32 PM
Roadking Cal
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Very High Plain Drifter
Given the choice:

Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King

...although, the Switchback might be an option.

Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King Road King ineedtogoandliedown
Badgers Badgers Badgers Badgers Badgers Badgers....
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/badgers

Old 04-05-2012 | 12:12 AM

I ended up buying my dream bike.

But, when I was contemplating buying a BRAND NEW bike.... I tossed a new heritage around, and a new RK Classic. "Almost" the same price.

I HATED the bars on the RK.... absolutely hated them.

But.... RK had cruise, more options, larger bags.... all around just "more" bike for the same $$$.

For NEW bikes? RK all the way.

Old 04-05-2012 | 12:18 AM
a10182
Road Captain

ya there is not harm in trying every bike not just the road king to make sure that is what you want, but the sportster we know wont cut it

Quick Reply: Softail vs Road King