Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another phase 7 review.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 05:45 AM
Biker90
Road Warrior
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Another phase 7 review.

I figured since I was looking for as many reviews as I can find before spending $400 plus, I'll add another one.
So I purchased the headlight and the driving lights for my 11 eg ultra limited, the spot lights I got from phat performance for $204.95 includes shipping, and the headlight I got on eBay for $235.00 including shipping.
I received the spots yesterday and installed, still waiting for the headlight.
So this morning I left my house at 4:30 am drove to NYC ( about 40 miles) and first of all a HUGE difference in lighting, I could see much further in front of me, it was just like I was in my car with hid lights. The 1 thing I noticed and tested by turning on/off a few times was that it seems to shine a little upwards, I'm not sure if I'm only noticing it because they're stronger then the old ones or because they actually point a little more up. I will wait for my headlight and see if they need adjustment once I have everything installed. So all in all I am very happy with the purchase so far.
A side note be careful when tightening the screws on the trim rings, I over tightened and the screw head widened the hole and came thru, I had to bend it back to shape.
I will update once I get the headlight. Good day.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Biker90
Road Warrior

Update:
Got the headlight today, installed in 3 minutes, I read about these lights sticking out but I thaught it was only phase 6. But I see that phase 7 also sticks out, will go get a French ring tomorrow.
So after installing the light I went out for a drive and WOW it's like 3D amazing light up in front of me.
At first it looked like I might have to adjust the beam a little lower but I asked a friend to drive in front of me with his car and see if I blind him and he said that they were fine, so I'll leave it the way it is.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Biker90
Road Warrior

Ok here is the scoop.
Now that I had a chance to drive it in daytime, I'm not happy. I parked the bike and walked to the front and you can barely see that the lights are on unless you're directly in front of it, and being that Im very safety minded I will be putting back the original headlight and staying with the led passing lamps.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:38 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking to buy one. I'll give you $100 for your phase 7 headlamp.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Biker90
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HarleyRanger
I'm looking to buy one. I'll give you $100 for your phase 7 headlamp.
Its for sale $200.00 plus shipping.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:55 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker90
I will be putting back the original headlight and staying with the led passing lamps.
What if you did the reverse? Would you still see lighting benefits? I ask because I was thinking of going with the Phase 7 headlight and leave the stock driving lights. I guess that is no different than if you had a Street Glide

Old 04-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker90
Ok here is the scoop.
Now that I had a chance to drive it in daytime, I'm not happy. I parked the bike and walked to the front and you can barely see that the lights are on unless you're directly in front of it, and being that Im very safety minded I will be putting back the original headlight and staying with the led passing lamps.
You might want to reconsider. The TL7 LED headlight focuses the light different than the stock halogen. When the bike is parked and leaning to the side you won't see the beam like you would if the bike was level and you stood back a distance as if you were on a side street. The light is a lot more visible. And it's very bright. Have a friend help you check it out. Also, the only real safety is to never take your attention off those ahead who could possibly pull out in front of you. Ride like you are invisible. Having a light on doesn't really add a whole lot, if anything, to safety. People just don't pay enough attention to what they're doing. But having lots of bright light for night riding? That's a real increase in safety. JMHO.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Biker90
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bingee
You might want to reconsider. The TL7 LED headlight focuses the light different than the stock halogen. When the bike is parked and leaning to the side you won't see the beam like you would if the bike was level and you stood back a distance as if you were on a side street. The light is a lot more visible. And it's very bright. Have a friend help you check it out. Also, the only real safety is to never take your attention off those ahead who could possibly pull out in front of you. Ride like you are invisible. Having a light on doesn't really add a whole lot, if anything, to safety. People just don't pay enough attention to what they're doing. But having lots of bright light for night riding? That's a real increase in safety. JMHO.
Believe me when I tell you that I tried everything. I didn't want to give up this light I had waited for it. I had a friend sit on the bike holding it straight and I was looking at it from every angle and unless you were in line of sight you could barely see it.
I do volunteer ems work on the side and have picked up way too many bikers, 90 percent of the time the driver of the car " never saw the bike" so I gotta do what I gotta do. Even if it helps me just once it was worth it.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Markymannn
What if you did the reverse? Would you still see lighting benefits? I ask because I was thinking of going with the Phase 7 headlight and leave the stock driving lights. I guess that is no different than if you had a Street Glide
Marky,

Just FWIW, I've got the HD LED Headlight and Passing Lamps. I thought about doing the same thing, but it just looks terrible with the Yellow Passing Lamps next to the White Headlight.

My suggestion is to either do them all, or leave everything stock.

Quick Reply: Another phase 7 review.