General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another phase 7 review.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Biker90
Road Warrior
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Talldog
Marky,

Just FWIW, I've got the HD LED Headlight and Passing Lamps. I thought about doing the same thing, but it just looks terrible with the Yellow Passing Lamps next to the White Headlight.

My suggestion is to either do them all, or leave everything stock.
That is true if your doing it for looks, By me safety is more important then looks so I figured by leaving the headlight stock I have the option of keeping the passing lamps off and only use them at night when I need the lighting. Again this is just my pet peeve but I have to agree that all 3 led look awsome bit I'm not willing to sacrifice.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:59 AM
BSAA65T
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker90
Ok here is the scoop.
Now that I had a chance to drive it in daytime, I'm not happy. I parked the bike and walked to the front and you can barely see that the lights are on unless you're directly in front of it, and being that Im very safety minded I will be putting back the original headlight and staying with the led passing lamps.

I echo Biker90's assessment of the daytime visibility of the Kuryakyn/Truck-Lite Phase 7 headlights. Last weekend I installed a Phase 7 headlight in my '11 FLHTK. I was astounded at how much less visible this headlight is during the day when compared to the stock halogen passing lights. Its a huge difference. The passing lights are bright and very noticeable. The headlight isn't bright at all unless you're viewing it from a limited angle. After installing the headlight, I took the bike for a daytime test ride. I pulled into a restaurant parking space and could see the reflection of my bike in the restaurant window directly in front of me. The reflection showed my passing lights glowing brightly. The headlight was much dimmer and didn't appear to be bright enough to catch another driver's attention. That evening, I tested the headlight's nighttime performance and was very pleased with how white and bright the light was (at least on low beam).

Like Biker90, I'm concerned the Phase 7 headlight poses a safety risk during the day. It just isn't visible unless viewed from a limited viewing angle.

I should also mention that the headlight I ordered online from LSHD1.com was defective. The low beam works fine. The high beam didn't work at all. I noticed in another post that another forum member had the same problem with the first Phase 7 headlight he received. Lake Shore H-D has been great to work with. When I sent an e-mail to them to report I received a defective headlight, they responded immediately with instructions on how to return the headlight and a promise to pay my return postage.

I'm on the fence whether to install the replacement Phase 7 headlight when I receive it from Lake Shore H-D or to just put it up for sale. The daylight visibility of this light really concerns me.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:42 AM
2008RKC08
Cruiser

I recently converted all my front lights with the phase 7 lights. I did have an issue with the hi-beam portion not working but had it replaced with no problems. All I can say is that the phase 7 at night is far and above the stock lights. I have my lights set up so that I can clearly see at least 1/4 mile ahead when on hi-beam. Also I have the passing lamps set to illuminate the sides of the road and the ditch lines. Its nice to see deer and such 100 yards from the road side. Will not go back to stock lights of I can help it. I bought my lights for 2 reasons, less power requirement nad better nighttime visibility.

As far as safety during the day and using these lights over stock is kind of a wash. People will either see you or not no matter what light you have on the front. The only thing that might help is flashers and sirens that emergency vehicles use then one might be safe. I've had 2 different people pull out in front of me while wearing my mandatory hi visibility vests and such, standard headlight, broad daylight. A headlight isn't gonna make a difference.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008RKC08
As far as safety during the day and using these lights over stock is kind of a wash. People will either see you or not no matter what light you have on the front. The only thing that might help is flashers and sirens that emergency vehicles use then one might be safe. I've had 2 different people pull out in front of me while wearing my mandatory hi visibility vests and such, standard headlight, broad daylight. A headlight isn't gonna make a difference.
I agree with what you say. And there are some opinions by safety experts that can back this up. Whatever somebody wants to believe about lights will not change the reality. Just consider the number of accidents that happen even when the headlights were on. So don't ever rely on them to save you. They won't. Always look ahead. Scan like crazy looking for that driver who "could" pull out in front of you. Then get ready to stop. It's not hard to do. After a while it's like second nature.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:29 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Here's my story:

Started with the TL 5 headlight only. Great at night, and OK in daytime, guess the light color temperature is so close to natural light that it's less noticeable than halogen light. I kept the halogen passing lamps for over a year, because of the above reason. It did look weird with the white headlight and 2 yellow-ish passing lamps.

Then I got a good deal from a forum member here on the passing lamp (phase 6). Now they're all white. I'm surprised that the passing lamps are a lot more noticeable in daytime than the headlight. So, that's a good move.

Ironically, the main reason I switched to LED is not due to brightness, but because of the charging system. 2 amps, heated seat and heated clothings, and planing on adding heated grips as well.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:24 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you get down where 90% of the car drivers sit while in their cars, you will notice the lighting is greatly improved. Standing at or near 6', you are higher than most all car drivers eyes. I have people flashing brake lights to have me dim the already dimmed headlight. Try adjusting it up some, the factory adjustment is waaay low.

Mark