General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome vs. Polished Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 02:33 PM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Chrome vs. Polished Wheels

Thinking about getting solid wheels for my 07 Fat Boy and I have heardtwo sides of the storywith Chrome vs. Polished wheels. I like the look of the chrome. But I have been told that it can be troublesome on wheels. Any advice?

Old 12-28-2006, 02:35 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Chrome vs. Polished Wheels

As long as you clean them and keep them dry (i.e. - no standing water beads for long periods of time), chrome wheels are great. If you like, get them

Old 12-28-2006, 02:44 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Polished wheels look great when they are polished. However, they are a major pain to keep up.

Chrome wheels are easy to maintain. Just keep them fairly drya and you will be fine. Some cheap chromed things are known to peel. Howver, a set of good chromed wheels or a good job done on your stockers shouldn't be a problem.

I'd go with chrome. Matter of fact, I'd have my stockers smoothed and chromed.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

My opinion: The Alum. wheelshould weigh less, and will never rust or flake. It should cost less I believe. You can always polishany imperfections that may occur. The chrome wheel looks betterwhen clean. Either,when clean look very good. I would probably go for the best deal available.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:28 PM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have polished solid wheels on my RKC. See below in large photo. They are a bit of a pain to keep looking nice but I like the look and don't have the chrome worries. I do believe the polished are cheaper in general.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:48 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer polished. Chrome - if not done really well - can crack and peel. Or it can be damaged from road trauma or during a tire change. Oxidation can occur under the chrome and it can bubble. When it does, it can't be repaired. If you get small damage on polished, you can usually polish it out to look like new.

On my '97, I had a polished 3 spoke wheel on the front, and achrome solid wheel on the back. Never had a problem with either one.

I have chrome wheels for my track car. The chrome is peeling off in a number of spots, and there's not much I can do about it. But they're for the track, so I don't really care.

I don't find polished to be a big deal to care for. Once or twice a year give it a good polish with Mothers billit creamand a power ball. Clean with whatever you clean the bike with. Lemon Pledge does a very nice quick job in between polishes.

In the end, it's your choice. Both have pluses and minues. It's up to you to decide what's more important.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:55 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A solid wheel is going to be chrome plated aluminum. Get the chrome.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:00 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Polished? Too much work, would rather[sm=biker.gif]

Old 12-28-2006, 05:03 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Chrome! Polished wheels only look good when they are new and it takes so much elbow grease to keep them looking nice. I'd rather spend the time riding than polishing.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:13 PM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Mikey 1450
My opinion: The Alum. wheelshould weigh less, and will never rust or flake. It should cost less I believe. You can always polishany imperfections that may occur. The chrome wheel looks betterwhen clean. Either,when clean look very good. I would probably go for the best deal available.
There is about a $400 differencebetween chrome & polished, which isn't chicken feed, but I want to get the ones that would look nicer and be more maitnance free. HogPro appears to be the only company that offers (Smoothie) solids for the 07's that I can find.

Quick Reply: Chrome vs. Polished Wheels