General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Guardian Angel rode with me yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:34 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by warrconn
Yet another case where common sense and road-smarts and NOT a gremlin bell made the difference. Good job. Ride safe!

More like hanging on for dear life and praying the fastest prayer in history! LOL

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I don't think I'll be taking any more bridges with crosswinds like that again if I can help it.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:01 PM
BigPappa
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Grow a pair

years ago coming into Bellefourche 4 lane used all of'em to get into town 2up and still entered in left lane... talk about wind that was some wind.. no one could even leave town that nite, the ones that tried were back at camp within minutes... lots of used side rubber that day....

Old 04-03-2012, 02:09 PM
pt4u2nv
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My **** puckering event came when we went across the 7 mile bridge into Key West with a 45-50 MPH crosswind. Try handling that for 7 miles over the water with a overloaded bagger and a passenger on back. Definetly a life changing event for sure. I drank my share of alcohol that night and then some. I am sure someone was watching over me that day.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:48 PM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

IMHO I would rather ride in the rain, then in high winds. The first time I rode in high winds, I got blown off the road and onto the berm. Scared the sh*t out of me.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:01 PM
OldIron61
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I had to make a run over to my son's house yesterday evening and it was really windy. I was crossing the Arkansas River on I-44 (in a construction zone) and due to traffic, wound up behind a semi. The wind was blowing like crazy from my right, but with the truck in front of me, and the cars all around me, it felt like I was being alternately battered on all sides. It was all I could do to keep the bike upright. Had I backed off, the risk of getting hit by traffic behind me was as great as the danger I was already in. And there was no place to go due to the tight constraints of being on a bridge that had construction going on. Had I gone down, I wouldn't be here today.

Be careful out there and consider all things before you're stuck in a bad situation.
Glad you made it out of the mess still with us, Be Safe