General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Essential tools

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 02:34 PM
hooter56
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Essential tools

What tools to I absolutely, positively, have to have with me on my bike?

Old 04-01-2012, 02:46 PM
JCryder
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried this one before. Your going to be told a cell phone and a credit card.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:00 PM
harleydude68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCryder
I've tried this one before. Your going to be told a cell phone and a credit card.
But seriously... Basic tools I carry are a multi-screwdiver kit that has many different bits including allen bits. a flashlight is good at night, a pocket knife, a set of allen wrenches, Adjustable wrench. I also have a few nylon wire ties in my tool bag as well.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:19 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,029 Likes on 17,923 Posts

Originally Posted by harleydude68
But seriously... Basic tools I carry are a multi-screwdiver kit that has many different bits including allen bits. a flashlight is good at night, a pocket knife, a set of allen wrenches, Adjustable wrench. I also have a few nylon wire ties in my tool bag as well.
With the way the new twinkies are this is about as real a tool kit as you'll need , damn little that can repaired in a parking lot anymore . Isn't like 30 years ago when you could rebuild a motor in somebodies backyard if you had to . I've done that on a road trip before on a partners bike , epic story that trip . Add a cell phone and dealers that are more common than Asian massage parlors your good to go anymore .

Old 04-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hooter56
What tools to I absolutely, positively, have to have with me on my bike?
I have the same bike and I have around 16,000 miles on it now. The only tools I carry are the same ones as below.
... Your going to be told a cell phone and a credit card.
Never used em yet though! Harleys aren't typically gonna leave you broke down on the side of the road. I haven't carried any tools in any vehicles I've owned in the last 30 years. If I thought there was a problem and it would break down on me, I'd fix it b4 it happened, instead of waiting for it to fall apart.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Zuul
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are the two main links that came up last time:
http://www.cruztools.com/products/kitshd.html

and,

http://www.beza.biz/windzone/catalog/ek1hd

I like the latter.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:36 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Then if you have a problem, just call for help, then scream and run around your bike waiving your hands loosley at the wrists until help comes. That's what the "cell phone and credit card" guys say, anyhow.

I could pretty much disassemble the whole bike with what I carry in one teardrop toolbox. Even changing parts and doing maintenance at home, nearly all the tools I use come from that toolbox.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:52 PM
cigarowens
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also add a 10 mm wrench for the battery terminals, a multi-driver and a leatherman multi-tool.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:23 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
Then if you have a problem, just call for help, then scream and run around your bike waiving your hands loosley at the wrists until help comes. That's what the "cell phone and credit card" guys say, anyhow.

I could pretty much disassemble the whole bike with what I carry in one teardrop toolbox. Even changing parts and doing maintenance at home, nearly all the tools I use come from that toolbox.
You a better man than me, Gunga Din. Kept my 69GMC alive for 317K miles along with far more vehicles from friends and family than I care to think of. Have a couple really big tool boxes full of chit and still don't have everything I need to "pretty much disassemble the whole bike with what I carry in one teardrop toolbox." I'll go with the cell phone and credit card, maybe add good insurance. ECM goes out I will bet nuthin in your teardrop toolbox gonna fix that.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:36 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

You mean that swiss army knife of a tool box that HD gives aint gonna do ***** if I break down?

Quick Reply: Essential tools