General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Essential tools

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:45 PM
sjef
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Last time I broke down, throttle cable, I used my cell phone then went to a corner outside bar and waited for the tow truck. Hopefully I am prepared to do the same next time.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:16 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

A couple spare fuses....a 12" length of electric tape, five 8" wire ties, 10mm wrench. A head light bulb. And fifty dollars cash-5's and ten's (try using your debit card at a farmers house when you run out of gas and are trying to buy gas from his lawn mower supply).
What are you going to do with more tools?....OK....maybe, a tire plug set and a cheap air compressor.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

A lot probably depends on how good you are with said tools. If you need to ask what tools do I need then you probably aren't going to do very will with any roadside emergency repairs. But that's just an opinion.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:11 AM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you use tools? Are you handy with them? Do you know how to perform repairs on you bike?
If you have a service manual and know how to use it a small set of tools may come in handy. I assembled my own tool kit but a good road set from Cruze etc will stand you in good stead.

I've adjusted the adjustable push rods on my 09 BargeGlide on the side of the road myself but I wouldn't recommend it to a novice or early learner (not saying you are either).

Old 04-02-2012, 12:54 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Maybe you can also download the service manual as a pdf for a smart phone app or at least a thumb drive.

Where we ride, at least one bike in the group breaks down on any long trip. And its usually something that cant be fixed on the spot. Trying getting a tow in the Phils. Usually we end up having to cram a bike into a jeepney to get to a mechanic.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:50 AM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I reckon it depends mostly on (a) how reliable you believe your bike to be and (b) how much storage space you have.

My FXDP was run pretty hard by po & is prone to "excentricities." So I don't feel safe leaving the neighborhood without carry all this:

* Hex Sockets & L-wrenches (both): 5/32, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8
* Torx Sockets: 20, 25, 27, 40, 45 (3/8 & 1/4)
* Box End Wrenches: 3/8, 5/16, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8,10mm
* 3/8" Ratchet Sockets: 5/16, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 10mm,14mm
* 3/8 drive rachet, 3" extension, adapters 1/4 to 3/8 and 3/8 to 1/4
* 6" Cresent Wrench
* Blue Threadlocker
* 6" Needle Nose Pliers
* 2 Cheap Champion Spark Plugs & gap tool
* 6" Needlenose Channel Locks
* Ratcheting Screwdriver & assortment of slip-in hex/torx/phillips/spade Inserts
* Leatherman Multitool
* Assortment of 10" zip ties
* Roll Electrical Tape
* Cheap Volt/Ohm meter
* Set of cheap spark plug wires
* Spare Crank Position Sensor
* 9" Jumper Cables
* Tire Plug Kit
* Crank-to-Charge Flashlight
* 5X5 Piece of painted 2X4 for coaster
* Camping First-Aid Kit
* Hand Wipe Rag
* Camping-type Hand Cleaner in Sealed Packets

I know, call me ****, but she's let me down once too often. I'm too cheap & hard-headed to sell er & buy something reliable.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Zuul
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Good set

Originally Posted by M&P340
Well, I reckon it depends mostly on (a) how reliable you believe your bike to be and (b) how much storage space you have.

My FXDP was run pretty hard by po & is prone to "excentricities." So I don't feel safe leaving the neighborhood without carry all this:

* 6" Cresent Wrench
* Blue Threadlocker
* 6" Needle Nose Pliers
* Ratcheting Screwdriver & assortment of slip-in hex/torx/phillips/spade Inserts
* Leatherman Multitool
* Roll Electrical Tape
* Cheap Volt/Ohm meter
* 9" Jumper Cables
* Tire Plug Kit
* Camping First-Aid Kit
* Hand Wipe Rag

I know, call me ****, but she's let me down once too often. I'm too cheap & hard-headed to sell er & buy something reliable.
That's a good variety. I'm a novice rider and I bought the service manual in PDF format so I'm doing the work I can on my bike and leaving the stuff I can't to someone I trust. There's always little things that come up - mirror gets loose (need torx), highway peg comes loose (standard wrench), so easy stuff.

Now that I've done some wiring to the battery, my own brake pads and brake fluid bleed, spark plugs, clutch adjust, oils and air filter stuff etc I can fix a few more things first hand, and reading the manual about linkage, and various other mechanical parts I can easily deal with a few things based on theory - at least I think I can - so carrying a standard pack on the front of my frame is a good idea. I always carry a camping water proof first aid kit which I've taken apart a few times, added a couple of things to, and understand how to use.

The more you work on your own bike, the more tools you learn to use the more money you save and the better prepared you will become. The alternative is indeed a credit card and cell phone but even though I'm a newb who carries a cell phone and cc I don't want to be 'that guy' - the one who can only call for help. Working on my bike - even the high level light stuff is a fun part of the bike experience too, and a source of personal pride.

./enable boyscout mode ftw

Old 04-02-2012, 08:08 AM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A cell phone for AAA, credit card and a tie wrap in case I break a jiffy stand spring, oh yes I always have my pocket knife.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matches, a rag to stuff in the gas tank, and some good Insurance ; ) then the cell phone to call a cab.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:01 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by M&P340

* 6" Cresent Wrench
* Blue Threadlocker
* 6" Needle Nose Pliers
* Leatherman Multitool
* Roll Electrical Tape
* Cheap Volt/Ohm meter
* 9" Jumper Cables
* Tire Plug Kit
* Camping First-Aid Kit
* Hand Wipe Rag

I'll take a guess and say you've had some trouble with crank position sensors in the past.

No spare head temp sensor?

Quick Reply: Essential tools