General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What lane do you ride in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:24 AM
sedouglas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Depends on traffic.

I think your ideas on riding in the right lane are a bit off, especially on surface streets. You are likely harder to see there and you put yourself nearer to more potential dangers.

That's why I brought it up. I wouldn't consider myself an expert rider by any means and I'm looking for what people with more experience than myself do. When it comes down to it, I want to do anything I can to make sure I stay alive and healthy.

I don't stay in the right lane, I just end up going back there. I keep my head on a swivel and every time I see a car approach the road, I put my and and foot at the ready to brake. I am cautious of every singe intersection that I go through.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Aargow
Advanced

Here in NE Ohio most of the secondary roads have a seam running up the left side off the lane. Because of that , I spend most of my time in the the right side of the lane. I agree with those who have suggested that you are more likely to be visable if you are on the left side of the lane.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:46 AM
primdl
Cruiser

Originally Posted by streeteagle
seems like a no brainer to me, I'm in the right unless I'm passing or approaching an intersection to make a left turn.
It IS a no brainer, and THE LAW! Get the frig over, and let me go around. What's not to understand?

Old 03-30-2012, 10:50 AM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Depends on traffic.

I think your ideas on riding in the right lane are a bit off, especially on surface streets. You are likely harder to see there and you put yourself nearer to more potential dangers.

Yep, I was reading all the posts and just waiting to get to the end so that I could chime in.

I almost always ride in the most right lane that I am not passing someone in, when on the freeway/highway as the driving rules dictate in your DMV manual. I am also generally in the left hand side of that lane (unless riding in a group and my position in the group has me on the stagger to the right side of my lane).

If driving through town, I am in the left hand side of my lane. Oncoming traffic will see you sooner, and if they are planning on making a left, I don't want them to not see me and start a turn right after the car in front of me passes because they didn't see me in time (That cager in front of me would have a bigger tendancy to hide me from oncoming traffic, if I'm on the right side of our lane behind them). Also, the car in front of you will have better visibility of you from the driver side and rearview mirrors. I don't want them to not see me because they didn't check their passenger side mirror or if it is an old enough car that doesn't have a passenger side mirror.(I know in Oregon and I believe all or most states do not require a passenger side mirror.)

Speaking of group riding, the lead bike should be on the left side of the lane for better visibility (that I mentioned above) and then everyone staggers right, left, right from there, unless you are going to be riding side by side or single file. No matter what style of riding you are doing (solo or group) you or the lead bike should be in the left hand side of your lane whenever conditions allow for the best visibility all around.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Ret1SGT
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Kowan
Mine. I let the traffic conditions dictate which lane I'm in.
Same here...

Old 03-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Another "mainly" Left-lane rider...MSF teaches you to use Left for better visibility, less debris, less oil/grease shed & distance fm other vehicles pulled-over/stopped...

Old 03-30-2012, 11:50 AM
MrMojo
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Just Dave
Quintuple ditto.
sextuple ditto and always making sure I have an out...

Old 03-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Traffic dictates for me, but as far as lane placement within my lane...depends.

If I'm in a group (I ride with about 2-3 other riders), it depends on my position in the stagger.

If I'm alone, it's my lane. Traffic helps me determine.

At night, I ride in the lane closest to the center lines. Reason being, I can light up both sides of the road to watch for wildlife, and I'm not right near the shoulder in case Bambi shows up.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ride on the left side of the left lane cause there is no blindspot that seem to be a cagers excuse for not seeing you when they change lanes. I also not seen mentioned in this thread about bikes who stop at traffic lights right in the middle of the lane, smack dab in the middle of the oil slick that cars drip onto the road. I've seen many bikers do this and I just shake my head. Another IMO real stupid thing is change lanes just before you get to a intersection to get around a slower vehicle without realizing that that oil slick extends several car lengths back from the intersection and you are going to catch the right slick at the right time with the right tire groove and slide thru that intersection on your ***.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:18 PM
RGarcia
Cruiser

The safe one.........

Like most have said the conditions dictate the position. Not only what lane but what PART of the lane. If I'm coming up to an intersection with cages on the right and I'm in the right lane, I move farther to the left. Just a few extra seconds of reaction time if someone pulls out. If I'm in the left lane, same thing. Give yourself as much extra time as you can by choosing the right lane postion.

Quick Reply: What lane do you ride in?