General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mich. Senate OKs repeal of helmet law ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:11 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The editorial of today's Free Press says the same thing about Michigan's unlimited medical coverage:

"All of us end up paying - directly or indirectly, through public assistance and higher insurance and medical costs - for injuries that can easily cost millions of dollars to treat."
"The (helmet) law impacts everyone who pays insurance." says Lori Conarton of the Insurance Institute of Michigan. "It's not a matter of personal choice when you affect other people's pocketbooks."

Get rid of the MCCA and unlimited medical and then repeal the helmet law which is what Snyder has also said. Then if you're injured in a motorcycle accident and survive, my auto insurance won't go up as a result of it.

Last edited by barjbar; 03-30-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:29 AM
ct555
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, first off I believe the government should have as little say as possible about what we do in our lives. The whole “it will affect the health care cost” is starting to drive me nuts. If this is the rout we are going I say we also force every American to adhere to a strict diet and exercise routine. I’m sick of paying the ever rising insurance cost due to rampant obesity. I also say we stop health care at the age of 70; most health care at this point only prolongs life a few years and is extremely costly. No more smoking, no more drinking, hell NO MORE FUN! We all must live our lives so that we can all afford health care.
There are so many other areas of health care that tax the system, why are we going after this small potatoes cycle helmet law. I can understand if you don’t want to ride with a helmet, that is your choice, let me make mine. Just like I can understand that your rocking an extra 60lbs and all sorts of blood pressure and cholesterol med cause you hate exercise and love food, it’s your life man live it. And in the meantime let me live mine.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by firecatguy
BUT I have been in the towing and recovery field 20plus years my job is to pick up the pieces after a crash......if you think a helmet will save your *** in a crash above 45mph you sadly mistaken
Was just talking to the wife about this the other night. Semi-seriously, but it was like this: Would you want me in a vegetative state for the next 20 year because I 'survived' with a helmet, though my brain was a scrambled egg, or have me go out all at once when I hit.

Of course, you want to survive with minimal issues if you crash either way, so I still wear a helm...

Old 03-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Benway
Was just talking to the wife about this the other night. Semi-seriously, but it was like this: Would you want me in a vegetative state for the next 20 year because I 'survived' with a helmet, though my brain was a scrambled egg, or have me go out all at once when I hit.
..and she said she was planning on offing you a long time before either of those events..

Old 03-30-2012, 09:57 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm one of the few riders who rides, usually, with all my gear: jacket, gloves, boots, helmet. A friend of mine who used to race motorcycles convinced me to always wear protective gear 'cause you never know when you're going down.