General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley has taken "poser" to a new level OMG

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,464 Likes on 5,045 Posts

Deleted

Old 04-01-2012, 11:19 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Like nobody in here has ever stepped on their dick while being young , dumb and full *** ? Personnelly I pulled some good ones just was smart enough not to get busted doing it .

Seems I heard something once about glass houses and throwing stones
Still doing it, will I ever learn.......aaaaaa nope

Old 04-01-2012, 11:27 AM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rwt
Good grief! Biker, Rider, "Real Biker", Poser, etc. I've never seen such a bunch. This computer using group of Harley owners get their shorts in a wad over selecting "their proper" label for others. What a waste. I've met many Harley owners from all walks of life and found most of them to be pretty decent people, and I've yet to have one of them debate with me whether I was a Biker, Rider, Poser, or something else.

If folks want to see what it feels like to set on a Harley without the skills, ability, or investment for a rental, let them. Like someone said, I'd do the same thing for a top fuel dragster, or a Nascar experience.
I'm pretty much onboard with this.. the whole poser, wannabe, not a "real" biker thing gets old. Hey, I have tons, and I mean tons of respect for old school guys like Twisted, one of my go to guys for all things HD is an old school HD guy, his "resume" is miles long, one of the best people I've ever met. Truth is, I wish I'd have switched from metric to HD earlier but, it is what it is..

I know it's not as much as some of you, but I put 30k on my dresser over the last three years, ( and that mileage doesn't count the 5k on my XR ) I ride a lot, I occasionally wear chaps when it's cold, I have a "black leather mc jacket".. and guess what, I don't really give a s**t if anyone things thats being a "poser".. I know the MoCo oversells the lifestyle thing, but they're in business to make a buck so you have to expect that.

For better or worse.. I do believe there is a "brotherhood" of sorts among most HD riders.. I know the people I've met on the road and at various events have for the most part been great to talk with fun to be around. Are there "wannabe's"?? of course there are... just like in every other aspect of life... but the fact is, none of us were just "born" into being a biker or rider or whatever you choose to call it.. we all started somewhere.. take the "wannabe's" for what they are and give it rest, my take is, if you ride, or want to learn to ride, be it by the "old fashion" way or be taking classes and schools and whatever else... it's all good. I've you wanna ride a Harley, even better. If that "simulator" gets people into dealerships, then hey, I'm all for it. Being new to riding, or new to Harley's doesn't automatically make you a "poser".. or a "wannabe" as far as I'm concerned.

The bottom line is this.. I'm way past having to prove anything to anyone.. I ride and I choose to ride a Harley because it's what I want to do. If your cool with that, then let's hook up and head out, if not, no problem, go your own way and leave me alone.. go have fun, and have a safe ride..

Cheers

mavrick

Last edited by mavrickFLHR; 04-01-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:40 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
I'd like to have that setup in the garage for the winter time. set a big ol fan in front of me
It would be killer for the days we're ummmm to impaired to ride.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:59 AM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Airborne06
It's really kind of sad, but an interesting study in self-image development, that so many cry "poser" when someone wants to ride a Harley for perhaps the first time.
Talk about following the herd and becoming a caricature of a biker! Got a tat? Check. Wearing your little earring fellas? Check. Got your little leather vest? Check. Got your "biker boots?" Check. Do you dress like a "biker" even when you aren't riding? Check. (gotta let everyone know that you are a biker...this is now your identity). Have a Harley decal on your car or truck? Check. Gotta make sure everyone knows you are a Harley man, you know, a "real" biker...the decal is important because they may not be able to see how you're dressed while you are in your cage. I'll bet you even have one of those chain wallet holders...you know, because your wallet is always falling out of your pocket when you are "in the wind". Really? See how ridiculous all of this is? And you "poser police" are gulping the Kool-Aid like you're at a Jim Jones rally. I guess if you've let riding a motorcycle define you, and that's the identity that makes you feel special, go for it. But casting stones at those who may be sticking a toe in the "motorcycling waters" for the first time, or because they aren't your self-defined image of a real biker (a.k.a. "you") is not only pathetic, it says more about you than the alleged "poser". Wow...so there really are people out there who define themselves and develop their alter-ego and personas by the brand of motorcycle they ride? Sad. I love riding my Harleys too, and have for years. I encourage newbies to try the brand. It's good for them, for motorcycling, and for the MOCO.

This post should be a sticky by itself.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:03 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

I guess Z bars and a fat tire are original. Just sayin'.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,464 Likes on 5,045 Posts

Originally Posted by Airborne06
It's really kind of sad, but an interesting study in self-image development, that so many cry "poser" when someone wants to ride a Harley for perhaps the first time.
Excellent post Airborne06...

I agree with 09FLHT, this should be a sticky, so we can link to it every time the stupid poser/real biker crap comes up.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:42 PM
KOBRA883
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im all for it teaching people how to ride and get more on a harley!!

Old 04-01-2012, 03:11 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,065 Likes on 17,935 Posts

Been neck deep in this lifestyle all my adult life all the debate and finger pointing about posers & who's a biker and who isn't arouse in the late 80's after the moco started marketing a winning strategy to middle class america and a riding a Harley and the life that came with one was forever changed . Come to us buy a new motorcycle and live your secret fantasy just like the comic books hero's , pull that suit off and become ( fill in your choice of descriptive here ) .

This clip sums up my feeling on the subject nicely , it's a lot of guys inner badboy when they buy a bike or throw a leg over one . This is where all the debate and bad blood comes from , I don't care who you are how much money you do or don't make , color of your skin or which way you swing behind closed doors just be real about it and we'll have a good time and maybe become good friends . Put a face on and I'll clown you till the cows comes home .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB7IECR5Rbs

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 04-01-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:32 PM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Been neck deep in this lifestyle all my adult life all the debate and finger pointing about posers & who's a biker and who isn't arouse in the late 80's after the moco started marketing a winning strategy to middle class america and a riding a Harley and the life that came with one was forever changed . Come to us buy a new motorcycle and live your secret fantasy just like the comic books hero's , pull that suit off and become ( fill in your choice of descriptive here ) .

This clip sums up my feeling on the subject nicely , it's a lot of guys inner badboy when they buy a bike or throw a leg over one . This is where all the debate and bed blood comes from , I don't care who you are how much money you do or don't make , color of your skin or which way you swing behind closed doors just be real about it and we'll have a good time and maybe become good friends . Put a face on and I'll clown you till the cows comes home .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB7IECR5Rbs
Thank you for that clip I needed a laugh really badly.

Quick Reply: Harley has taken "poser" to a new level OMG