General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone navigation apps

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Spork
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone navigation apps

Anybody here use a Turn-By-Turn iPhone navigation app?

I like to listen to my iPhone while ridding but I would also like TBT navigation. Best case would be an app that interrupts the music to give directions and then goes back to the music.

I have heard good things about Waze(free) and Magellan ($) I don't mind spending a few bucks if the app does what I want. However, a free app that does the same thing is better.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:44 PM
SkinnyonFatboyLo
Cruiser

Waze is really good and real easy to use.... Sometimes u have to watch out because you will be right up on a turn when it lets you know to turn, but for free you can't beat it

Old 03-27-2012, 04:49 PM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Google navigation is excellent on my droid, I would think that you can get it on the iPhone. I use it all the time and it is turn by turn.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Spork
Cruiser

Waze is really good and real easy to use.... Sometimes u have to watch out because you will be right up on a turn when it lets you know to turn, but for free you can't beat it
Thx, I will give it a try. Do you know if Waze will interrupt what is playing, give directions and then go back to what you were listening to?

Old 03-27-2012, 04:58 PM
rdb1976
Road Master

Originally Posted by JohnC FXDX
The Google navigation is excellent on my droid, I would think that you can get it on the iPhone. I use it all the time and it is turn by turn.
The Google Maps navigation on the iPhone is text only. It doesn't speak to you. Google saved that feature for Android.

On the iPhone, the Mapquest app sucks. It got me SOOO lost in Denver because it plain-old could not figure out where I was.

I use Waze when I drive the cage because it features user-submitted traffic/weather reports and also user-reported police and hazards. I haven't been brave enough to buy Tom Tom's app . $50 is a little pricy to shell out for an app I haven't even tried.

Originally Posted by Spork
Thx, I will give it a try. Do you know if Waze will interrupt what is playing, give directions and then go back to what you were listening to?
Waze 'dims' the volume for the left speaker (where the driver is if you're listening to music in a cage) to announce whatever it's telling you and then puts it back to full volume. I haven't run into the issue with it notifying you last-second to make a turn. Actually, I found that it tells you almost too many times that you have a turn coming up. I think it tells you at 0.5 mile, 0.1 mile, 1000 feet, 500 feet, and 'now'.

Last edited by rdb1976; 03-27-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I use MotionX GPS Drive, the free version, you can purchase the turn by turn voice guidance for 30 days at a time for like 2.99 or something like that, witch is fine by me, I may only use it one week out of the year.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:59 PM
section8joe
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I use navigon. I got it on sale for $29. It works awesome! I use pandora radio and when a turn comes up the music volume will mute and the directions will be spoken. It will even tell you if you're going too fast. Can beat it!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:49 AM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I have the Garmin app. Got it over a year ago when it was on sale @ iTunes. TBT and it has the iPod feature too. I have a playlist on and when Garmin needs to talk it lowers the music and provides the TBT info. Then music goes back to the level set.

I chose it due to owning other stand alone Garmin's for my trucks. I only wish it let me transfer my waypoints and favorites from my stand alone Garmin GPS's to the iPhone version. Sucks to have 2 seperate lists to maintain. Course I seldom go the same places on the bike vs. the truck.

Good luck!

I also use an app called GPS Tracks. Lets you record your route as you make it/riding. Then you can save it and see your average speed, stops, tip speed and other info. Makes if neat if you ride with your buds and have no destination in mind but a safe ride. Afterwards I always look at the recording and it plots on a map to show where you've been. Just a neat gadget...

Last edited by GMRO; 03-29-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Rotlex
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've tried a bunch of them and found Navigon, now owned by Garmin I think?, to be the best both visually and for accuracy\map updates. Not free, but worth it IMO.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:44 AM
RICHIEMACK
Road Master

How much is the navagon????just got a stereo set of motorola bluetooth for my droid,i have a train so i use a headset ,i now use my tom tom but it would be nice to not have to look down at my tank where the gps is mounted when i need it.

Quick Reply: iPhone navigation apps