General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone navigation apps

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:36 AM
oneballz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Gee I wonder how the rest of us without the toys ever managed to go round the block much less the millions of miles that have been ridden without them ..................
Your great great grandfather said he same thing when plumbing came inside the house.

I'm old enough to remember the first house phone we got. and we were the last to get one on our street. It was hard wired into the hall, and had a 25 foot cord on it so we could drag it into our bedrooms. But that was high tech, our neighbors had wall mounted phones that you had to crank to get powered up.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Manninagh
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Funny thing we all raise 6 kinda hell over cagers on cell phones but how many in here are screwing with a device while riding . Pot calling kettle .............
Fair point, if a person is dumb enough to mess with it while on the move. Sensible folk will do that when we stop - just like with a paper map. I've seen idiots on the highway examining their map while riding, holding it down on the tank. Stupid whether old or new tech, IMHO.

In defence of sat nav, I find that I'm a safer rider with it, because I can focus on the ride and the traffic, without having to watch out for this turn or that exit. I'm also more inclined to go off the beaten track and explore, knowing that I can find my way back, and how long it will take to go the road less travelled. Admittedly, I'm kind of uptight about time-keeping, and the army made me obsessive about knowing where I am. Not quite a free spirit, even on the bike!

Old 07-08-2012, 12:59 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by Manninagh
Fair point, if a person is dumb enough to mess with it while on the move. Sensible folk will do that when we stop - just like with a paper map. I've seen idiots on the highway examining their map while riding, holding it down on the tank. Stupid whether old or new tech, IMHO.

In defence of sat nav, I find that I'm a safer rider with it, because I can focus on the ride and the traffic, without having to watch out for this turn or that exit. I'm also more inclined to go off the beaten track and explore, knowing that I can find my way back, and how long it will take to go the road less travelled. Admittedly, I'm kind of uptight about time-keeping, and the army made me obsessive about knowing where I am. Not quite a free spirit, even on the bike!
Your play ground I can see it England was another world for me on a bike and your road system is different to say the least . I hear you about the exploring part , been a couple times that put me in the position of being somewhere on a 700lbs motorcycle with terrain better suited to a dirt bike .

Old 07-08-2012, 02:59 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I could live without my cell phone. I do love the GPS though especially on the bike as I suck with directions.