General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone navigation apps

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:29 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 348 Posts

I see the Garmin for iphone is $49.99...does that include updates? I read the description but didn't see it, although I could have missed it.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:03 PM
mjsawatzky
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by section8joe
I use navigon. I got it on sale for $29. It works awesome! I use pandora radio and when a turn comes up the music volume will mute and the directions will be spoken. It will even tell you if you're going too fast. Can beat it!

I too use Navigon. I have tried most of the other apps and Navigon is by FAR superior. In fact it's better than any GPS that I've ever used.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:44 AM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by elPrez
I see the Garmin for iphone is $49.99...does that include updates? I read the description but didn't see it, although I could have missed it.
I have the Garmin Street Pilot. Not the free one. I paid $29.99 when it first came out. It is TBT and it updates for free. SO far it's had only 3 app updates that I can remember. Never had an issue with it working or crashing. And I use the iPod feature on that app too. I think it works very well. But I've always been a GARMIN fanboy...I admit...

Old 03-30-2012, 10:28 AM
MalteseFalcn
Cruiser

+1 to the MotionX gps, I read lots of reviews online and this one got the most positive ones. Cheap enough, seems to work well.

Tried Waze, deleted it from my iphone after two uses.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:10 PM
AWC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a couple, waze is nice if it’s actually updated by current users (i.e. accidents, radar traps, red light cameras etc.) but for good turn by turn with integrated iTunes control I use MotionX gps drive. It does good TBT directions and you can have iTunes control on the screen, its supposedly integrated with siri but I haven’t figured that out yet.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:56 PM
The88Beast04
Road Captain

The only problem I found with Waze is it requires a constant data connection for loading the maps. If you frequently have sketchy service or venture to places like that, you might wanna spring for the full-fledged $50 Garmin app on the store.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Russ Oliveri
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1

Great App

Originally Posted by Jeff W
I use MotionX GPS Drive, the free version, you can purchase the turn by turn voice guidance for 30 days at a time for like 2.99 or something like that, witch is fine by me, I may only use it one week out of the year.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Carl_S
Advanced

A little late on this posting, but I use CoPilot Live in iTunes. Great display, traffic, weather, customizable alternative route settings.....blue tooth compatible for under $15.00

Old 07-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Dafy
Tourer

Navagon got me from Toronto, to Lake Erie, to Syracuse, to Manchester Vermont, then down NH, to Portsmouth Maine, then up to Granby Quebec and home...highly recommended.

I think I paid $65 in 2009 and has updated many times, including a whole new set of maps recently, with no extra charges.

In a pinch, the Maps works too.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff W
I use MotionX GPS Drive, the free version, you can purchase the turn by turn voice guidance for 30 days at a time for like 2.99 or something like that, witch is fine by me, I may only use it one week out of the year.
another +1. been using it for a coupla years now. i always pay for turn-by-turn for the whole year. it pays for itself at work.

pauses the music for you and lets you open playlists etc.

Quick Reply: iPhone navigation apps