General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I getting the runaround?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012 | 12:26 PM
D1gger
|
Road Captain
Default Am I getting the runaround?

Last Sunday night on my way to work the engine on my Harley seized. It had plenty of oil pressure and seized because, from what I can tell, the wrist pin retainer clip came off the right side of the rear piston, allowing the wrist pin to work it's way out and muck things up. The damage is pretty extensive.

After I got home from work, I looked into my options and decided that the best course of action would be to take advantage of the Harley Engine Remanufacturing Program, where the shop removes your engine, ships it to Harley who rebuilds it and sends it back for the shop to reinstall, with a 1 year, unlimited mileage warranty. The website claimed that the cost of the engine could be financed and the shop said they could refinance the bike with the cost of the engine. The end result would be a $40 increase in my payment. I figured I could live with that to get a basically new engine out of the deal.

The finance lady and I worked up a guess quote of an additional $3200 total to cover the cost of the reman($2500) plus $600 labor(or 10 hours) and $100 in gaskets, based off what they guy in the service department told me. She said I was approved for it if I came up with $1000 down, so I told her that was perfect, I had the bike towed there and I scraped up the cash.

Now today, over a week later, they still haven't touched my bike. The service manager called me today and explained that they only had 1 "special Harley Engine Crate" and he had 2 engine jobs before mine, so it will be the middle of May before they even get to my bike, and that it is going to be 15 hours of labor, not 10. Ok, not really a big deal, that just increased the total of the job to $3700, only $500 more than the finance lady and I had figured out originally.

Then I spoke with the finance lady again, and now she wants $2140 down payment and lower monthly payments than we had originally figured. What I can't figure out is why a cost increase of only $500 raised the down payment more than $1100.

How many hours labor does it take for the removal and reinstallation of a 1340 Evo big twin in a 1990 Tour Glide? Does any know the actual shop allowance for the amount of hours for the job?

There is something that sounds fishy to me about the availability of the special engine crate. The shop said they have to buy it and they don't do enough engines to warrant owning more than 1 of them. I would think that a quick call to Harley and they would send out another, wouldn't they?

The finance deal sounds like they are trying to skew it as well to try to get more cash out of me and less financed. I had fun scraping up the original $1000 down last week and don't know where I would come up with the other $1140.

Basically, does it sound like I'm being taken for a ride on this? Do I need to try to find a different dealer to take it to? Please help!

Old 03-27-2012 | 12:37 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Doesn't sound right, should be removed sent to HD and rebuilt with your numbers. A brand spanking new 1999 evo is only $2500 for silver and $3500 for black. The 1999 is the best of the evos and has better cases than the 1990. I'd forget the reman program and buy new, then sell what's left of your's for $800-1000 depending on damage.

$2500 for engine, $500 to put in, minus $800 for old = $2200 for brand new shinny engine.

Old 03-27-2012 | 12:41 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Have you checked with an Indy to see what it would cost to rebuild your motor? Then check with a credit union to see about financing it?

I was under the impression that HD had re-manufactured motors they'd send out. Not wait to get yours, rebuild it, then send it back.

And at those prices, have you checked into a S&S motor?

Old 03-27-2012 | 12:47 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

A week later and still no one has touched it...and now they say May? That has got to be one small HD shop. I'd be a little concerned too since they didnt offer that info up front.

Old 03-27-2012 | 12:48 PM
ClutchCargopa
Cruiser

wow that in a conundrum. I would look for a used motor or used bike with a 1340 remove the motor and do the swap myself. Part out the old bike and rebuild the bad motor and resell, should the old motor be salvageable. You could also use an indy should you want someone else to do it. Get a personal loan from the lender of choice and get the parts and work done for a fraction of the cost. It looks to me like this is going to be well into 5 grand on a 1990 motorcycle.
I would think the only reason your down payment went up is because something came onto your credit report and the finance person saw it. HD is not going to risk finance on a older bike with little money down and have to resell should you default.
I know I am not answering your question directly, however I have no vested interest in this situation, but I would certainly think putting 5K into the motor to get the same thing is a tough call. Maybe you should look for an aftermarket motor with some added HP or cams. I would also be looking outside the realms of HD for the fix. $600 for the swap is a high price to pay, on top of that they will hit you with oops and upcharges once opened up. They are looking for profitability and making high margin on your purchase.

Old 03-27-2012 | 01:00 PM
garand
Road Master

Geez dude, I hate to crap on your thread, but really? You're going to finance a repair on a toy? What do you do in a real emergency? It's sad that people don't keep a few months of income put aside for such an expense. Sorry again, but I believe in tough love and telling a friend what they need to hear.

Why not park it for a few weeks while you research better deals or improved quotes and then get er' done.

Old 03-27-2012 | 01:04 PM
D1gger
|
Road Captain

I appreciate the comments. Straight from MoCo it should only 5-6 hours if no major problems arise and the special crate issue is true that the dealer has to buy them, but unusual that the dealer would only have 1 of them. I am checking around now to find another option. Comments still welcomed! Let's hear them!

Old 03-27-2012 | 01:30 PM
ClutchCargopa
Cruiser

http://york.craigslist.org/mcy/2875252821.html

Here you go, new motor with 2000 miles for 7000 retail. I bet you can find something like this in your area. The bike on this ad looks cherry.
By the way I have no affiliation with this bike and do not know the owner. I am just trying to help.

Old 03-27-2012 | 01:30 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Just remember when dropping money on your sled it is worth $5,720 (KBB retail) even after you put the new engine in it. You could most likely buy another and keep this one for part or project. $1400 for used engine or $5300 will get you a 1989 FLH with 66,000 miles. Some other nice ones for a little more.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com:80/Motor...&Model=Touring

Old 03-27-2012 | 01:54 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by D1gger
Comments still welcomed! Let's hear them!
As long as you asked - Sounds like a bunch of crap! I would and you should have gotten all the information IN WRITING BEFORE you let them have the bike. Changing the cost of ANYTHING after the fact is a big red flag! What else are they going to come up with to charge you for?

As for the time estimate, this is a particularly bad time of year to first be getting into this extensive of a repair. Again, I would have had IN WRITING an estimated completion date. If it's not to late I would shop around to see what other options you have. Possibly another dealer or shop that you trust would offer options. Have you looked into trading it for a different used bike? Time to crunch numbers, seeing as you are looking to refi anyhow. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Am I getting the runaround?