General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I getting the runaround?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012 | 08:47 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

P.S. I've got a basket S&S 124" that would make that bagger a rocket!! Too bad you're clear out in PA.

Old 03-28-2012 | 09:52 AM
JRP267
Cruiser

There are adapters for the twin cam into an evo. But here is probably a better option if you want the 1990 tourglide otherwise not a bad time to update. http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/mcy/2886701104.html
You could part out either bike and recoup some of your money. Either put that motor into your bike or ride the new scoot and part yours.

Old 03-28-2012 | 11:41 AM
Schex
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
P.S. I've got a basket S&S 124" that would make that bagger a rocket!! Too bad you're clear out in PA.
how much?, details

pm please

Old 03-28-2012 | 12:24 PM
Schex
Supporter
Supporter

If your planning to keep the bike, the reman or new engine will serve you well for a long time.

Who cares what the blue book says, it's not an investment for sale, it's your ride.
3 to 4 grand is better than 2 grand on a used engine, not knowing the history and care of it.

It's easy for me to say that because I never have to figure in labor, and that goes for the rest of the bike too.

I know I'm keeping mine till I'm pushing daiseys.

I found out how much I was attatched when I recently traded up for a 2012 limited, thought the grass was greener, rode that chinese harley(no offense, just my opinion)just for one day, it had no soul, and did nothing better (for me anyways) than my Evo, by the hardess, convinced the dealer to reverse the deal, course I lost some money.

I was sick to my stomach till I got my bike back, but had the big smile again when I tore out of there.

I told her I was sorry and that will never happen again.

Attached Thumbnails Am I getting the runaround?-daytona-126.jpg  
Old 03-28-2012 | 01:24 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Schex3x
thought the grass was greener....

I was sick to my stomach till I got my bike back, but had the big smile again when I tore out of there.

I told her I was sorry and that will never happen again.
Agreed, I recently had that fever. Loved the looks, not the ride. Even so offered them NADA book retail value on it as it was a collectible (otherwise it would have been less). I was actually worried they would come back and accept my offer. Offered me $5000 for my Springer, wouldn't budge on their $5k over book price.

Thanks but no thanks. I'll keep this OLD one. The NEW one was only seven years newer.

Old 03-28-2012 | 01:52 PM
coltsfan
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by D1gger
Been shopping around and found a couple cheaper shops. I will be rescuing my bike from them tomorrow. Found one with only a 1 week backlog before they start it, cheaper labor rates and realistic amount of labor hours. Still calling around to other shops.
Good luck to you, really. I bought my Evo motor for $900 without a charging system or carb or ignition. It is a pretty easy thing to do yourself but even if you used a small shop it would be better than spending all that money for a motor on an older bike. Good luck though.

Old 03-28-2012 | 09:50 PM
D1gger
|
Road Captain

She's back in my garage now. I went and picked her up this afternoon. The guys in the shop were even cool about it and helped me push her up onto the trailer. Now time to relax a little and do a lot of research before deciding what to do. I love this bike and this is the first time she has ever failed to get me home. I really like the idea of having a reman/new engine in my faithful older friend as opposed to giving up on her in favor of a different ride. As soon as I took this bike for the initial test ride through the dealer's lot, it just felt "right", like an extension of myself, and I really don't want to lose that feeling...

I guess I need to call around and confirm that I can do the work myself while still taking advantage of the reman program, then decide from there.

I really do appreciate your replies, I think this has EVOlved into an interesting, worthwhile discussion.(sorry about that, I couldn't resist! LOL!)

Old 03-29-2012 | 06:38 AM
blackchipjim
Road Captain

I would check the salvage sites, there are plenty of them out there. I was just browsing them last week and whole bikes bid for less then one would think. It's just a suggestion if you find a indy to do the work.

Old 03-29-2012 | 01:37 PM
D1gger
|
Road Captain

Official word from MoCo is that I can remove the engine myself, take it to a dealer who will crate it and ship it, then when it's done I pick it up from the dealer, pay them, take it home and I can install it myself. It wont include the official warranty this way, but they said they would still take of me for defects and such. I talked with a local shop that is willing to do the shop end of the deal, so now all I gotta do is start wrenching and scrape up the cash...

Old 03-29-2012 | 01:45 PM
blackchipjim
Road Captain

Good luck Digger hope you make out in the long run, let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Am I getting the runaround?