General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I getting the runaround?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012 | 01:53 AM
D1gger
|
Road Captain

So I can do the work myself and still get the warranty? I like that idea! What do I do, take the engine out and take it to the dealer to ship or ship it myself?

Old 03-28-2012 | 04:10 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
Just make sure the shop you take it to is reputable.You dont want to post a bad experience!
They should give an itemized written estimate before anything is done.

Just a warning.Theres a lot of shops that promise a finished date,but somethimes that just doesnt pan out.

It would be kind of hard to give an itemized estimate on replacing the engine on a 22 year old motorcycle without taking the eng. out and inspecting everything...Oil lines...wiring ...connectors...inner primary components..Etc

Old 03-28-2012 | 04:51 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master

Originally Posted by D1gger
Been shopping around and found a couple cheaper shops. I will be rescuing my bike from them tomorrow. Found one with only a 1 week backlog before they start it, cheaper labor rates and realistic amount of labor hours. Still calling around to other shops.
Smart move! The red flag, aas someone else sais, was when they jacked up the numbers on you after the original deal was inked. We all live and learn. I've made plenty of mistakes with my bike, and have (hopefully) learned from them. Lot of good posts on this thread. You'll figure this out. Good luck!

Old 03-28-2012 | 07:08 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
It would be kind of hard to give an itemized estimate on replacing the engine on a 22 year old motorcycle without taking the eng. out and inspecting everything...Oil lines...wiring ...connectors...inner primary components..Etc
Well is guess you have a point there.Not like doing a 95",103' build on a newer TC.
Still,you dont want to give a shop a blank check.

Old 03-28-2012 | 08:07 AM
Schex
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by D1gger
So I can do the work myself and still get the warranty? I like that idea! What do I do, take the engine out and take it to the dealer to ship or ship it myself?
Not really, I got mine through a Indy that does plenty business with one of the local dealers, he knew the service manager well and could have helped if issues were to arise.

I really wasn't worried about it, as they seldom have problems if installed correct (Indy never had one come back).Not saying it never happens.
You can't build one with new cases, and everything else, and the new chrome and powdercoat for the price, with a two week turn around.

Make sure to remove and clean the oil tank, replace all oil lines, clean carb and jet correct, new intake seals, also check for intake leaks on first start up.

Heat cycle new engine a few times, with a fan blowing on it, not letting it get too hot, monitor with a temp gun.

Ride it slow till it's warmed up, then put some moderate load on the engine, something like 30 to 50 or 60 mph and back down to 30 not letting rpm's above 4,000, do that about ten times. stop and let cool.

Go ride some back roads, vary speed for the next few hundred miles, then put 100,000 miles on it.

Change oil (dino) at 100 miles, 500miles, switch to synthetic at 2000miles.

Old 03-28-2012 | 08:13 AM
Schex
Supporter
Supporter

Also clean screen on petcock in fuel tank, change fuel hoses.
Make sure there's no exhaust leaks, mine came with exhaust gaskets installed.

Old 03-28-2012 | 08:29 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Seen them for as cheap as $1500 but might be hard to get that in a 1990 frame.

Old 03-28-2012 | 08:37 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior

It looks like you are on the right path. Right move getting the bike out of that dealer, and yes they were taking you for a ride both the delaer and the finance person.
To be honest, I'd be patient and look for the right deal when it comes around. Putting 3.5 to 5 grand on a bike that it is worth just above that doesn't sound smart to me. What you want is to find a damaged bike from an accident, which is probably a total as the value of the bike is already low and repears cost high, pay a grand max 2 for the whole thing and get an reliable indy to swap the engines (or DIY). Keep monitoring ebay, craiglist daily, your right deal will come around. All the best!

Old 03-28-2012 | 08:42 AM
oct1949
Club Member

I'd hate to be stuck with a dealer I didn't trust.

Bottom line is U have to have faith and understanding in whoever U choose to do the work.

Best as stated above make sure all the work is in "Writing", as in any contract.

See people in court everyday on TV cause there is a misunderstanding about work done without the paper work. May sound corny but it happens all the time in the real world.

Old 03-28-2012 | 08:45 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ghira75
pay a grand max 2 for the whole thing and get an reliable indy to swap the engines (or DIY). Keep monitoring ebay, craiglist daily, your right deal will come around. All the best!
If you find an insurance Co. than sells em that cheap PLEASE let me know. Minimum on a decent Evo 1340 is $1500. The cases, wheels, heads and cylinders are worth over a grand.

Quick Reply: Am I getting the runaround?