General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I getting the runaround?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012 | 02:07 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Somewhere out there, there is a guy that has an engine and just looking for the right sled to put it in. See if you can sell this bike for enough to pay it off and get out from under it. Then save up enough money to put down on a bike that isn't already 20+ years old.

Old 03-27-2012 | 02:09 PM
D1gger
|
Road Captain

Been shopping around and found a couple cheaper shops. I will be rescuing my bike from them tomorrow. Found one with only a 1 week backlog before they start it, cheaper labor rates and realistic amount of labor hours. Still calling around to other shops.

Old 03-27-2012 | 02:20 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Be carefull

Originally Posted by D1gger
Been shopping around and found a couple cheaper shops. I will be rescuing my bike from them tomorrow. Found one with only a 1 week backlog before they start it, cheaper labor rates and realistic amount of labor hours. Still calling around to other shops.
Be carefull, cheaper isn't always better. What you want to find is an earned reputation for quality work. Once again GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING BEFORE HAND!

Old 03-27-2012 | 02:30 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

My experience with the dealership is don't believe anything they tell you unless you get it in writing. That's why I always try to go to an indy for work I can't do myself.

Old 03-27-2012 | 02:36 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by garand
Geez dude, I hate to crap on your thread, but really? You're going to finance a repair on a toy? What do you do in a real emergency? It's sad that people don't keep a few months of income put aside for such an expense. Sorry again, but I believe in tough love and telling a friend what they need to hear.

Why not park it for a few weeks while you research better deals or improved quotes and then get er' done.

I kind of agree the only caveat being if that was his only way to work. Financing a rebuild sounds a bit much.

Secondly shouldn't you have asked the questions about the crate, when they would send it off etc before you started signing papers?

I know it is sometimes hard to take a look at our own actions and see where we were responsible for a snafu but...

Ultimately I hope you get it taken care of and you are back on the road soon but definitely learn some lessons from this... I learned most of my lessons the hard way...

Last edited by RoaringRigid; 03-27-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2012 | 02:46 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Call your insurance agent and see who handles their salvaged motorcycles. Then buy a totaled one and take to an indy to swap it.

Old 03-27-2012 | 03:13 PM
D1gger
|
Road Captain

I haven't signed anything yet. When I called them before having it towed there, they said they would start on it in a few days. They said nothing about the crates and that was over a week ago. I am going to go pick it up tomorrow and bring it home for now.

Old 03-27-2012 | 04:14 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by D1gger
I haven't signed anything yet. When I called them before having it towed there, they said they would start on it in a few days. They said nothing about the crates and that was over a week ago. I am going to go pick it up tomorrow and bring it home for now.

Cool my apologies I thought you had an opportunity to discuss it with them fully before you left the bike there.

Good luck with it. Some have given you great suggestions. I especially like the suggestion about totaled bikes I may do that myself.

Old 03-27-2012 | 04:20 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member

A brand new motor is $3300 list so $3000 with some haggling, stick $500 labor on and you have a brand new motor all in for $3500 and you can break the old one and sell it for parts.

Old 03-27-2012 | 05:05 PM
dirtyharryfxrt
Road Captain

Don't let these goofs on here talk you out of putting money in your old bike. We can't afford to trade our bikes in every two years because they have over 10,000mi on them. An old bike is like an old friend so you don't mind spending the money to keep it alive.

Quick Reply: Am I getting the runaround?