General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any kind of general rule for pricing used parts for our HDs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Gee
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Any kind of general rule for pricing used parts for our HDs?

Trying to get an idea on buying and occasionally selling items I don't want setting around. I was in the rc hobby for several yeas and resale on those items was horrible. Lucky to get 25% of what you gave for it. It seems my motto has always been "Buy high and sell low" but that hasn't always been by choice.

What kind of price(s) do you ask or say would consider fair for an aftermarket part that has been used but nothing wrong with it?

Any kind of general rule you follow? Like used items for aftermarket at 50% off, stock take off parts 30% maybe lower?

I realize this is a broad question and the price can depend on a lot of different factors. How about a base line. Say.........

An aftermarket part you paid 100.00 for new. It's in great condition but you not longer need or use it. What would you be asking for it? If you were the buyer what would you offer for the item? Would any of that change if it was listed here vs listed on ebay?

What do you think?

Last edited by Gee; 03-27-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

You're pretty close, for real nice stuff 50% of new is about right. Take off OEM parts, most will bring nothing, some up to 25%. Of course some things are harder to find and fetch a premium. Go on ebay and check closed auctions on like items and compare.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Gee
Tourer

Thanks for the input. I use the completed listing a lot when selling the rc parts and so far tried to do it with the HD parts but haven't had a lot of items to let go of being so new to the HD scene.

Shipping cost have always been a wonder to me. When it say "$$$$ shipped" I realize the asking price is not what the buyer is getting but is sometime 10, 20 or more dollars less then what the price is. Saying that the price shipped makes it sound like free shipping but really the buyer is still paying for shipping and I am setting the asking price according to what I will get after shipping.

If your the buyer does it make a difference? Which do you think is better way to go. The price with shipping included or to ask for a lower price and indicate buyer pays shipping?

Old 03-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Doesn't really matter, you pay ebay commission on price sold and shipping (about 10%
+ 4% to PayPal). I believe free shipping helps with sales. No proof of that.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:50 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

I agree that a excellent condition used part will typically bring in about 50%. If the part is in anything less than excellent condition the price drops dramatically. Obviously some parts are more desireable than others so a fair price may be higher or lower. I would never pay more than 66% for anything used unless it was a hard to find must have item.

As for shipping, I can't tell you what people prefer but the few times I've sold things here it was always $XX + shipping.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

If it's a high-demand part (like 2/4-pt dock, hard lowers, sadlebag, etc.) & depending on condition you can run from 50-70% of new (i.e 50-30% off)...

For other items like pegs, grips, light rings, stock pipes & such - best to price super low to get them moving (~25-30% of new price).

Old 03-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

I stopped using ebay years back when the ebay/paypal transistion kicked in, especially when paypal took it upon themselves to determine how long they can hold your funds. With the fees from both and the chance some buyer doesnt like your attitude it just didnt set right with me any longer. It is a helluva way to get your stuff out there and folks interested tho. I've found CL does just fine for me should for selling unwanted items and the swap meets are all over the place down here for lookin to buy/sell. Swap meets are the plus for getting an idea how much.

Last edited by Tampa Fatboy; 03-27-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Gee
Tourer

Ebay does have it's drawback. Have to jack the price up to compensate for the fees. Buyers got the sellers by the short ones. Lucky a lot of them don't know it unless they are the sellers also. Had my money taken from my account a few years back from a idiot buyer. Didn't set well with me. I appreciate your guys inputs and have realized I was expecting too much for some of my parts. I like to pass on good deals and try to do it through CL (I don't care or the extra hassle of shipping items) just to meet up with another HD owner. Heck if it fits in the saddle bags I offer free delivery on days it's not snowing. It's a good way to meet some other HD owner. Met a fellow that was putting together a 1936 HD, had a knuckle head, a new Road king, and an old Indian in the driveway. Don't remember the year he said it was, had the timing on the throttle side, gas on the other and a shifter you'd expect to see in a 1950's truck. I do remember getting of my bike and say Nice Harley, at the same time I read Indian on the tank...... That started off well.....

Old 03-27-2012, 02:46 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Used auto parts have the 50% of new standard but that comes with a replacement warranty.

It is a good starting point. To me a good used fender should be around 50% of new. Handle bars, seats, headlight and many others could go in that amount.