Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape hanger help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Ape hanger help please!!!

I just bought this 1995 wideglide with buckhorns i want to put some apes on it, i am 6-1 tall i am thinking 16inch apes not sure yet.

But my question is putting on the tall bars do i have to cut the wire harness and add wire or can i buy a exstension plug and play? I am not crazy about cutting the wires. What needs to be done?

What is the protocal for installing tall bars this is the first time i am do this to a bike.

Will

Attached Thumbnails Ape hanger help please!!!-3-25-2012-dyna-pics-055.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are lots of places that will sell bars prewired for whatever application you need. At 6'1" I think 16" are a good fit for you, I have 18" on my Street Bob and love them. I got everything from the guys at www.hillcountrycustoms.com 18" Narrow apes, prewired, plug and play, as well new brake, clutch and throttle cables that are the proper length. I personally would never cut into the stock harness unless I had too. I've done full electrical on a few late 70's jap bikes without problems but it's a pain to cut solder and cover it all up cleanly. I'd pay for plug and play 100 times over. Good luck, it's an easy mod even with the complete cable replacement.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:01 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Skid_Lid said. I am 6' even and went with 16"... Insanely comfortable. Go with HCC. I used Namz extensions, LA Choppers apes and the cable kit from LA Choppers, and it was the same or just a little more than the kit from HCC would have been. Here, check these out:

http://www.hillcountrycustomcycles.c...6-in-P391.aspx

http://www.hillcountrycustomcycles.c...bles-P137.aspx

http://www.hillcountrycustomcycles.c...yna--P192.aspx

Old 03-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

Extending the wires is no big deal, why waste money on extensions?
Just stagger the joints, solder them up, and cover with shrink tubing.
Took me about an hour to extend my harness, cost only $5 worth of wire and shrink tube.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:39 PM
BillM
Road Captain

Did the same as ragtop did but took a bit longer since it was a Streetglide with cruise. Didn't even bother staggering the joints too much. Easy, peezy, lemon squeezy.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Bigwillie
Road Master

Thank`s guy`s excactly what im looking for ,i am glad i asked!

Next question looks like i have a tall pullback riser on the bike now should i change it to a shorter one ? maybe i will take a picture of the riser and you guy`s could check it out.

Also i want to change the seat maybe a solo not sure yet, should i get the seat first? then fit the bars?

Also i want to get one of those old school looking sissy bars that have no pad just a bar that is about 18 inches high and goes to a point i seen them on bikes but dont know where to get one, anymore help would be great!! Will

Old 03-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by solowrider
Thank`s guy`s excactly what im looking for ,i am glad i asked!

Next question looks like i have a tall pullback riser on the bike now should i change it to a shorter one ? maybe i will take a picture of the riser and you guy`s could check it out.

Also i want to change the seat maybe a solo not sure yet, should i get the seat first? then fit the bars?

Also i want to get one of those old school looking sissy bars that have no pad just a bar that is about 18 inches high and goes to a point i seen them on bikes but dont know where to get one, anymore help would be great!! Will
I'd go to a plaine jane 1.5"-2" block risor if I were you, also get polyurothane bushings for your risor mounts, the stock rubber ones will be too squishy.

This is what I have on my bike, holds good looks good
http://www.hillcountrycustomcycles.c...rley-P771.aspx

Seat will make a bit of a difference, maybe drop you and inch or a bit more, depends on the seat, I'd say don't worry to much about it.

I've been thinking about a sissy bar as well, same as what you are describing, found a few on ebay, not sure if there are cheaper options out there or not, I'm sure I could get a metal shop to make one for less than $100.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-HARLEY-20...item231b5fb09c

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-2006-2012...item231ae3ccba

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-HARLEY-DA...item231b6ca3a0

Old 03-26-2012, 08:59 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop
Took me about an hour to extend my harness, cost only $5 worth of wire and shrink tube.
thats what I do

Old 03-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Jim@MilkyWay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ragtop
If you saw some of the disasters I have seen/repaired from inexperienced "electrical experts" you would cry. I'm just saying, if you are not proficient at soldering, you can, in short order chase rabbits down holes you would not imagine. Youtube may have some good vids that point out the importance of 1) clean strands 2) good mechanical fit for added strain relief, 3) the benefits of paste flux 4) the correct solder and heat application 5) proper heat shrink techniques.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Bigwillie
Road Master

thank`s for the help . I can solder fine , but i don`t want to cut the wire harness,i want to keep it stock if someday i ever want to put it back to stock or i sell the bike, or keep it for ever it will be original. Will