General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley or BMW

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 01:48 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Harley or BMW

I'm 51 and the wife is 50. I'm 6'1" 220 lbs. and the wife is 5'4" 115 lbs. We don't have tats or hangout with a rough crowd and we're both professionals. I've ridden rice all of my life and I have no complaints, but it's time for something different. I'd like a nice bike that can be used around town, short runs in the countryside and for 200-300 mile days a few times a year. I'd like something that can accomodate a top box that can be quickly removed and stored. Easy removal of side bags would be a plus also. The two bikes that look interesting to me is the R1200RT and the Road King Classic. On paper, the R1200RT looks to be the better bike for my needs. But then again, that RK Classic is sure sexy looking. I'm open to any and all comments.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:53 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Harley or BMW

I'm guessing you're not going to get a lot of votes for the beemer in this forum.

I've never ridden a R1200 but I own a RK Classic and love it. The windshield comes off in 30 seconds for cruising around town. The saddlebags come off but the bike doesn't look as good, IMO, with them off. I only take them off when cleaning the bike. You can't go wrong with a RK Classic.

I'd suggest renting the R1200 and the RK Classic for a couple of weekends and compare them.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:54 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can TourPak up an RK nicely. Harley is not an anti-establishment/badass image. That is ONE image, but there are far more doctors, lawyers, putzy politicians and professionals. And just plain hard-working good guys. Since you posted that first you perceive that stereotype as the norm, and it may be creating some of your trepidation.

Ride them both, but I think you will find the RKC has that grin-inspiring soul that the BMW will never. The BMW is that kinda cold, but technically impressive machinery. I would get the RKC w/o the test rides, but I have THAT bias so just keep that in mind.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:56 PM
LAWMAN
Tourer

Interesting I was looking at the same two bikes earlier this year. I boughta 2006Road King Standard. I'm very happy with my purchase. I'v had my bike since Feb. and have 10,251 miles as of today. HD offers so much more than BMW when it comes to accessories and motorclothes. The BMW is a reliable bike but it's just too"plain" for me. My wife said "your not buying that ugly bike!!" I have no regrets. I have not had any problems at all with my King.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:58 PM
69z28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adecision you'll have to make on your own, I've never owned a BMW and I'm sure they're fine bikes,but a RKC is my choice and would buy another.

Old 12-26-2006, 02:02 PM
LAWMAN
Tourer

One other thing to add is that I rode both bikes. I rodethe BMWabout 70 miles. I'm 6 foot tall and I had to extend my legs several times to stretch thembecause the rider position seemed to be too cramped for me. Just somthing to keep in mind.

Old 12-26-2006, 02:03 PM
TRITON
Road Master

I'm guessing you're not going to get a lot of votes for the beemer in this forum.
Ditto...

I hate to make your choice harder, but you should also check out the Street Glides. It sounds like they might also fit your needs.

Old 12-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna have to go with the Harley.I bet the answer would be different on a Beemer forum

Old 12-26-2006, 02:11 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: TRITON

Ditto...

I hate to make your choice harder, but you should also check out the Street Glides. It sounds like they might also fit your needs.
Yeah, I really like the street glides too. The RK classic and the Street Glide are my two favorites.

Old 12-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

1.Test ride the HD and the BMW

2.Buy the one that really tugs at your heart,the one you could sit in your garage and look at for hours

3.Tell your wife you think she'd really look sexy with one or two discreetly located tats...

4.Street Glide Vivid Black !!!!!

Quick Reply: Harley or BMW