General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley or BMW

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 12:36 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Harley or BMW

ORIGINAL: mgumto

ORIGINAL: TowJam

ORIGINAL: Yellotang

Anyone seen the show, "Long way around?" It is about two guys that take two adventure 1200 BMWs from London to New York, the long way around. The crap they put those BMWs through and the amount of time they brake the frames on them is incredable. I would really love to see them do that trip again but on three different bikes, KTM, Buell, and a BMW.
[align=left][/align]
Yeah that show was incredible. Some of the riding they did, especially I think Mongolia and China made Mexico look like the United States freeway system. Those bikes took a major beating as did Charley and Ewan. And no doubt, the moron who decided against giving them the KTM sponsorship was probably fired soon after he botched that marketing dream....pretty decent show and I'd recommend to check it out as some of the roads, and rivers they cross are incredible...
Was it me or did Ewan seem to drop the bike more than ride it? hehe. I was like, dude! Stay upright!.

Remember the river they crossed that they had to pull the spark plugs out and crank it over to get all the water out of the cylenders??? I was completely shocked them things fired right back up!

Old 12-28-2006, 12:42 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember the river they crossed that they had to pull the spark plugs out and crank it over to get all the water out of the cylenders??? I was completely shocked them things fired right back up!
I guess I'm either apu$$y or a total pavement princess. Throughout the entire time I watched the show, I kept thinking, "No way in hell does that look like the least bit of fun."

Old 12-28-2006, 03:16 AM
The HalfBreed
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ride each one and make your choice. Beware, however, that the amount of BMW Dealers around the country is pretty scarce. There are many more Harley Dealers and that's always a PLUS in my book.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:42 AM
hd2007
Road Warrior

Why ride a buick when you can have a vette? go with the real deal "harley"

Old 12-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

.. Was it me or did Ewan seem to drop the bike more than ride it? hehe. I was like, dude! Stay upright!.
He certainly wasn't using the force.
[sm=vader.gif]

Old 12-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Babs

.. Was it me or did Ewan seem to drop the bike more than ride it? hehe. I was like, dude! Stay upright!.
He certainly wasn't using the force.
[sm=vader.gif]
Hehehehe

Old 12-28-2006, 06:48 PM
hippharley
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I ride and had a number of different Harley models. At one point we were involved in a wreck and over time moved over to BMWs(mainly for their incredible brakes). Once we had BMWs we were riding 15,000 miles a year or so and always missed the Harleys. We we just recently decided to buy a new pair of Harleys and after the first ride my wife looked at me, pointed at her BMW and told me that I could sell the Bmr. I would have to say that everything that has been said is accurate. Engineering wise, the BMW is a great machine, bullet proof, and have incredible brakes. if you only ride long trips and do not prefer riding around town, the BMW is the way to go. But, as stated a number of times in this thread, if you like riding around town and periodically go on trips, go with the Harley, they are the most beautiful bikes made, have tons and tons of aftermarket accessories, dealerships everywhere, and all the attention you would ever want to boot. Besides, nothing sounds quite like a Harley vtwin.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:27 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: hippharley

My wife and I ride and had a number of different Harley models. At one point we were involved in a wreck and over time moved over to BMWs(mainly for their incredible brakes). Once we had BMWs we were riding 15,000 miles a year or so and always missed the Harleys. We we just recently decided to buy a new pair of Harleys and after the first ride my wife looked at me, pointed at her BMW and told me that I could sell the Bmr. I would have to say that everything that has been said is accurate. Engineering wise, the BMW is a great machine, bullet proof, and have incredible brakes. if you only ride long trips and do not prefer riding around town, the BMW is the way to go. But, as stated a number of times in this thread, if you like riding around town and periodically go on trips, go with the Harley, they are the most beautiful bikes made, have tons and tons of aftermarket accessories, dealerships everywhere, and all the attention you would ever want to boot. Besides, nothing sounds quite like a Harley vtwin.
Just my personal opinion but as much as I like BMW and appreciate the technology, nothing is more "satisfying" (for lack of a better word) than the feel and sound of a Harley when rolling on the throttle. That's what keeps me coming back to the Harley camp.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:32 PM
EricVonZipper
Road Captain

it may have been already noted, but I'm not inclined to read all the responses, but, I'd buy a Road King Standard, rather than a Road King Classic. I've had a couple classics, and they're pretty bikes, but the leather bags get scuffed up, and don't age real good. The hard bags are much better, imo. Besides that, the RK Standard has a more comfortable stock seat.

just my opinion.

Frankly, if you want a touring type bike, it's my opinion that the Electra Glide Standard or Classic is the best buy. I have an Ultra, but if you don't need cruise, the EGClassic is a good one.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:44 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: hd2007

Why ride a buick when you can have a vette? go with the real deal "harley"
Yep, what he said. [sm=usa.gif]

Quick Reply: Harley or BMW