General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley or BMW

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 02:24 PM
mgumto
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley or BMW

[quote]ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

ORIGINAL: mgumto

Buy the BMW if your gonna log 20,000 miles a year. If your looking for something to cruise around on in town and take the occassional road trip, go with the HD. Not only are they prettier to look at, they sound a thousand times better than any BMW I've heard. Also someone else said it in earlier post, you can really customize the HD and make it special,and the BMW you'll want to pipe it and after that what?? Nothing against the BMW and someday when i'm older I may have one, but my RK sure is fun to ride and getslots of looks something you don't get with the Beemer IMHO....
Yes, I agree. HD looks and sounds much better. However, I went by one of my friends house last night to check out his 2005 Softail Deluxe only to find the engine scattered around the garage. I'm sure that this is the exception to the rule but it didn't give me warm fuzzy feelings.

Well again I'm no expert when it comes to the mechanics of bikes, but I'm guessing from a pure standpoint of what holds up better and has less repairs, my money is on the BMW....

Old 12-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone seen the show, "Long way around?" It is about two guys that take two adventure 1200 BMWs from London to New York, the long way around. The crap they put those BMWs through and the amount of time they brake the frames on them is incredable. I would really love to see them do that trip again but on three different bikes, KTM, Buell, and a BMW.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 12-27-2006, 03:34 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just rent one and see for yourself. The decision will probably come fairly quickly, one way or another.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Bighorse
Road Captain

The BMW is a excellent machine & some would say thatthe quality can't be matched but Dealer's are scarce compared to Harley and BMW parts are costly! You can't lose with either machine.

Old 12-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For two-up riding/touring, I'd be more inclined to consider the K 1200 LT more of a comparison unless the R 1200 RT can be tricked out for comfy two-up riding.. Just from looks as is, it doesn't look extremely comfortable with that stock seat.. but looks from a limited picture can be deceiving.

I'll say the beemers are extremely bullet-proof, at least all the ones owned by friends have been reported. It's interesting how all the bikes look so different in the same class.. Sorry to sound cliche' but "they all look alike to me".. I can tell there are a lot of subtle differences though among all those in the BMW touring group. Nice bikes to me.. I guess they've backed completely out of that cruiser they offered.. Naturally that bike appealed to me more than the others.

Seating position is the thing.. I suggest taking big notice of the harley guys on the highway on the tour models (RK's, E-Glides, etc) and notice the "lazy-boy" position.. They set up the bike for long long miles, but it can still be a good 'round-towner as well.

I think it really depends on which bike "moves" you.. Are you a Porsche 911 kinda guy or a 57 Chevy Bel Air kinda guy.. Moved by smooth performance or smooth chrome? Those will be the real deciding factors.

Hope I helped.. I'm 38 and have been into the chrome since college so to explain why I'm in the HD forum instead of the Beemer forums. While my friends drooled over Supras and Z's, I was drooling at 49 and 50 Merc's and early 60's bathtub porsches. Cars with Character.. Rolled over into my tastes in bikes I guess.

Whichever route you go.. You're welcome here.
Because they're all fun if they're two wheels and all riders have the same risks of the road and the same dwindling rights and prohibitive legislation to deal with.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:09 PM
TampaJim
Road Master

One point seems to come up over and over in this thread. Harley owners take pride in how their ride looks andspend their money on achieving an individual image . BMW owners ( and I know quite a few) could care less about image and spend their dollars on functional stuff to make the bike preform better or so that they can ride longer distances.

What's more important to you, style or function ?

I can't decide so I own one of each.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:13 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Yellotang

Anyone seen the show, "Long way around?" It is about two guys that take two adventure 1200 BMWs from London to New York, the long way around. The crap they put those BMWs through and the amount of time they brake the frames on them is incredable. I would really love to see them do that trip again but on three different bikes, KTM, Buell, and a BMW.
[align=left][/align]
Not to nitpick but the bikes Charley and Ewan were riding were '04 R1150 GS Adventures - not the newer 1200 models. Given that the first bike drop was literally at the very start of the trip, it's amazing those bikes were able to finish at all. Charley and Ewan admitted they weren't mechanics and by the time they got to Alaska to have some repairs done, the bikes were pretty much being held together by duct tape and bailing wire.I'm betting two things:
1) BMW sold a butt load of GSs as a result of the show
2) Someone at KTM is kickingtheir self for backing out of the sponsorship.

Even if it had been available at the time, it's doubtful a Buell Uly would even make the short list of possible bikes. That kind of terrain needs a moreoff road-oriented bike - even a standard BMW GS would not have been a good match.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:17 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: TampaJim

One point seems to come up over and over in this thread. Harley owners take pride in how their ride looks andspend their money on achieving an individual image . BMW owners ( and I know quite a few) could care less about image and spend their dollars on functional stuff to make the bike preform better or so that they can ride longer distances.

What's more important to you, style or function ?

I can't decide so I own one of each.
[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 12-27-2006, 07:23 PM
twinfreeze
Cruiser

I'm 52, 6-2, 200 lbs and my wife is 5-4 ,115 lbstoo. I have often thought about the beemer but they almost seem too much like a street racer to me. I also researched the 1200 and on paper (like the GWing) it beats the HD in most specs EXCEPT those cool classic lines, sound, looks, comments, serviceability, and just plain fun. I have an 05 ultra classic and love it. The wife likes the large passenger seat, hand grips, backrest and seating postion. The RK Classic is a great bike and so is the StreetGlide.

Gook luck

ride safe

twinfreeze

Old 12-27-2006, 07:55 PM
mgumto
Banned

[quote]ORIGINAL: TowJam

[quote]ORIGINAL: Yellotang

[align=left][/align]
Yeah that show was incredible. Some of the riding they did, especially I think Mongolia and China made Mexico look like the United States freeway system. Those bikes took a major beating as did Charley and Ewan. And no doubt, the moron who decided against giving them the KTM sponsorship was probably fired soon after he botched that marketing dream....pretty decent show and I'd recommend to check it out as some of the roads, and rivers they cross are incredible...

Quick Reply: Harley or BMW