General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley or BMW

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 10:52 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Harley or BMW

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

ORIGINAL: mimo

Go with the BMW... Someone told me that the 745i is one hell of a fine ride...

Regards.
My cage is a BMW and yes, they are a fine ride. You won't see anything but my taillights in the twisties.
Exactly my point, BMW was born to make cages! Sometimes they make two-wheeled cages and they call those "motorcycles".

Regards.

Old 12-26-2006, 10:57 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the BMW... Someone told me that the 745i is one hell of a fine ride...

Regards.
My cage is a BMW and yes, they are a fine ride. You won't see anything but my taillights in the twisties.
Exactly my point, BMW was born to make cages! Sometimes they make two-wheeled cages and they call those "motorcycles".

Regards.
BMW has been making motorcycles almost as long as Harley Davidson, long before they started making cars.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:40 PM
rrockefe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want reliability and comfort, maybe you should also try the Goldwing. I haven't yet, but when I replace mine, I will test the GW before getting another Ultra. I like features of both. I used to think I would try a BMW, but I have ruled them out now. High seating position doesn't suit me. Lack of dealers and high priced service, also.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Adak
Cruiser

Bother in law has the R1200 and every time we go riding he always ends up asking me if he can takea short ride on my RKC!
It really comes down to what fits you the best, try them both as others have stated! Enjoy your new ride which ever one you get!

Old 12-27-2006, 12:17 AM
RandyM1911
Tourer

BadBobOK,
As you know, you're comparing apples and oranges. One of the great things about making the choice is that many H-D dealers have a rental program. I'm not sure if this is also true of the Beemers. A test ride is one thing, a rental will give you a much broader perspective. When I was shopping for a bike in 2003 it was a choice of which Harley I wanted. None of the other brands was even on my radar even though I've owned and ridden a wide variety of them over the years. I rented a number of different models and put as many miles on each before making a decision.

I would suggest you look into renting the RK for a day or so. Typically, weekday rentals (Monday thru Thursday) are less expensive than weekend rentals. Take a mental health day and go ride the Harley. See if it's what fits you and your riding style.

And FWIW, the Beemers are fine machines and are certainly well know for their reliability. You may be surprised at how well made and reliable the H-D's have become over the years. The Motor Company has done an outstanding job of improving quality and reliability. I think you'll be impressed after spending some time on one. I know I was. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Whatever your decision, ride safe and have fun. See you on the road.

-Randy

Old 12-27-2006, 12:52 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 51 and the wife is 50. I'm 6'1" 220 lbs. and the wife is 5'4" 115 lbs. We don't have tats or hangout with a rough crowd and we're both professionals. I've ridden rice all of my life and I have no complaints, but it's time for something different. I'd like a nice bike that can be used around town, short runs in the countryside and for 200-300 mile days a few times a year. I'd like something that can accomodate a top box that can be quickly removed and stored. Easy removal of side bags would be a plus also. The two bikes that look interesting to me is the R1200RT and the Road King Classic. On paper, the R1200RT looks to be the better bike for my needs. But then again, that RK Classic is sure sexy looking. I'm open to any and all comments.
You're in an enviable position as there is no right or wrong answer to your question. BMW and Harley are the ying & yang of motorcycles. With BMW, you have arguably the best of the high-tech (including the inevitable bugs that come with new technology) and with Harley, you have the elegant simplicity. Both brands have a rich history and in a perfect world, I would have a Harley and a BMW. Fortunately, both BMW and HD dealers usually offer test rides - and this is probably the only way you're going to be able to make an informed decision.

And for those who think that BMW riders are snobs, that's just bullshit. I've experienced first handmore arrogance from fellow Harley riders than I have from riders of other brands - including BMW. Harley owners are rightfully proud of their bikes but many of them seem to wear that on their sleeve when they meet up with non-Harley riders - or when they meet up with fellow Harley owners such as myself who prefer full face helmets to pudding bowls.

And don't get me started on the whole "lifestyle" that the MoCo markets. I'll make HD a deal - they can keep their "lifestyle" and I'll take the bike and a $2k discount.

uh, what was the question again....?

Old 12-27-2006, 01:35 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Here is my test: Go get a black motorcycle helmet and a black & orange Harley nylon racingjacket......walk down the side of the road......see how many people stop and offer you a ride or help. Next try it with e BMW racing jacket.........I would bet you will get 3 times as many offers for help with the HD jacket...........better group of people IMO

Old 12-27-2006, 01:49 AM
crepe
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: TampaJim

ORIGINAL: crepe

Badbobok, I think you will be interested to know that the BMW will keep your inner thighs comfortably warm. BMW must have routed the exhaust or the heat to pass through the gas tank area where you have your legs. I was riding a BMW recently and I was surprised at how comfortable it was to keep my legs warm. I imagine on a long cool ride it will come in handy.
My experience is the opposite. I have no heat issues with the BMW, but the Harley will flat cook my legs sitting at a stoplight in warm weather.
TampaJim,
lol I just read over my post and it made very little sense... even to me. what I 'm trying to say is that the BMW is very confortable. It also has a feature that keeps your thighs warm when you squeeze the tank area with your legs. Kind of like a heated grip, or a heater grip, but for your legs. One thing I envy about the BMW.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:41 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

H/D has soul....BMW sold their soul to the devil when they went to inline 3's and 4's lying on their sides years ago (K75 and K100). Even their boxers now are all screwed up.[&o]

a 900/6 from around 1976 would be sweet, but parts are EXPENSIVE!!!!

Trust me.....go H/D.

Joe
[&:]

Old 12-27-2006, 09:46 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,120 Likes on 358 Posts

ORIGINAL: traveler

H/D has soul....BMW sold their soul to the devil when they went to inline 3's and 4's lying on their sides years ago (K75 and K100). Even their boxers now are all screwed up.[&o]

a 900/6 from around 1976 would be sweet, but parts are EXPENSIVE!!!!

Trust me.....go H/D.

Joe
[&:]
yep, gotta buddy who has a nice BMW, cruises real nice, smoot, quiet[&o], But when we stop on a ride, guess what everyones looking at?? Is it the Beemer with all the plastic covering everything, or the sparkling Harley with metal and shine?? HHHHmmmm.

H-D, hundred Dollars....BMW Bring My Wallet. they are more expensive to get serviced than a Harley. (at least what I ave done). On a Harley if you are mechanicaly inclined, you can do most, if not all your service work, try getting at the motor of a beemer, it'll take you more time to peel off plastic, than do your work. JMHO of course.

I am not downing beemers, great peices of engineering, but, to complicated.

Quick Reply: Harley or BMW