General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley or BMW

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 04:02 PM
kgjl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley or BMW

My opinion is less than impartial. However, if you are comparing straight across, isn't maintenence expensive on the BMW's. Are they one of the bikes that requires valve shimming at regular intervals. H-D's require fluid changes, and not a whole lot more.

Last edited by kgjl; 09-20-2009 at 03:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-26-2006, 04:16 PM
flakdog
Road Captain

Take it from another Oklahoma born boy.. Get the RK, or better yet as suggested earlier, the Ultra.

Have fun

FD

Old 12-26-2006, 04:20 PM
cdale976
Road Master

badbob
i'm 54, 6'2" 225 had a roadking(98) comfy ride. reliable bike 55,000mi in 3 yrs.
Just bought a new rfc. much better bike.
Plus you can take windshield off when stinkin hot or if you just want the wind in your face.Thats a no go on the street glide. plus always in a box on the sg.
I rode bmw and a few others before buying my new rk. Maybe not the same bang for the buck but for our roads the rk fits perfect. another plus is service. If you intend to travel there seems to be a harley shop around every corner. Plus you can outfit the bike to handle a couple of weeks worth of stuff for the long haul..

try a few bikes bmw,ducati,motoguzzi and such. If you rode rice burners forever your style may better fit something other than harely ,then again you may regret not having a harley ealier on and buy one.
Whatever it is good luck and ride it like you stole it.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:33 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I've spent a fair amount of time on both. The suspension/ride quality is better on the BMW and you can control the airflow off the windscreen by adjusting the screen angle. Also, the brakes are more responsive along with ABS. The HD is a much simpler, easier bike to maintain. Part/service is available almost anywhere. It has a much lower center of gravity for those who aren't used to the high seating postion offered by the BMW. Most of all, my wife prefers the seating position on the HD hands down over the BMW. Here again, lower seating postion gives her a better sense of security. Of course, there is also the social aspect as someone comented on earlier...You will always find a friend when on a HD. BMW riders seem to be less 'available'....In the end, it's all about what you and your wife feel most comfortable on. Happy Hunting!

Old 12-26-2006, 04:39 PM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also grew up on Ricerockets. Quit riding for about 7 years then last year decided to buy a Harley. All my buddies have one and I told my wife, what the heck, life is too short. I settled on a 05'RK Classic with Edelbrock 95" Kit. I can go from touring look to street look in 2 minutes, no tools required. I love my Harley!!

Old 12-26-2006, 04:56 PM
crepe
Cruiser

[sm=happybounce.gif] lol I can almost see it. My guess is that you have posted the same question on a BMW forum and they are giving you the "get a Beemer" answer.

Badbobok, I think you will be interested to know that the BMW will keep your inner thighs comfortably warm. BMW must have routed the exhaust or the heat to pass through the gas tank area where you have your legs. I was riding a BMW recently and I was surprised at how comfortable it was to keep my legs warm. I imagine on a long cool ride it will come in handy.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:01 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just sold a R 1150 RT after four years of ownership. Before that I had a Heritage Classic Harley. If I were going to go coast to coast on a routine basis, there is no doubt I would buy another BMW. If I'm looking for a bike with soul that will put a smile on my face I would buy a Harley.

About 9 months ago I bought another Harley. I bought a Harley 1200 Custom Sportster thinking it would be a nice "stable mate" for the Beemer. After several months I realized I wasn't riding the Beemer at all and I sold it. I have no regrets. The Harley has character and attituce (sole) where the Beemer, as nice as it was, is a very sterile machine.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:36 PM
sfarson
Road Master

BadBob... Good to see you here. Agree with the post in this thread and as I noted at the LT forum... this is largely an emotional decision and a test ride will help nudge you a certain direction... if you aren't already leaning.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:59 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

I traded my BMW 1150RT on my Road King.Both bikes have their advantage.The Beemer was a great intown and touring bike.and had good features,ie the electric w/shield,shift LED,clock etc.has a great warranty and known for engine logevity.The difference between the two are like night and day.The Harley has the classic V twin design and sound and the Harley history.The Harley touring models are not quite as nimble as a BMW,but are great at touring speeds.You don't have to buy into the black dress,tatoo,head band to own a Harley.The BMW was a good bike,but the Road King and Harley experience is hard to beat.Plus,with the Harley you have the fun of accessorizing it to your own taste if you want.Hard to do to a Beemer.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:04 PM
TampaJim
Road Master

I currently have a BMW R1150RT and a Harley Superglide. Ride them both equally, about 12k each per year.
The Beemer is far superior on longer trips--quieter, great weather and wind protection, more load capacity,etc. but the dealer network is very thin.

Given what you stated you wanted the bike for (around town, short trips), you may like the Harley better.

Other bikes to look at are the Honda ST1300, the Yahama RJF 1300 and the soonto be released Kawa Concours II. All of these bikes will run the wheels off the Harley for considerably less $$$ .

There are some excellent boards on these bikes out there : BMWsporttouring .com being my favorite.

Quick Reply: Harley or BMW