General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley or BMW

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 08:33 AM
David F
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley or BMW

Not so sure about only H.D.'s having "soul". I owned a R100RS for quite a few years, took me many great trips around my [ very big ] island, I always thought it had real character, especially compared to all my mates bikesat the time, mostly japanese.

It was designed to tour at high speeds for hours on end while looking after the rider, and it was quite brilliant in execution. Never should have sold itAlso had a Ducati that had a mind of it's own[recalcitrant female]

My advice is to test ride everything you can and then be honest with yourself regards what you need rather than what you want[ there's a big difference ]. If it's H.D. good, if not so be it.

But you'll come around eventually.......resistance is futile[8D]

Old 07-28-2007, 09:31 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: tda69
BMW. Sounds like it would suit your needs better than the HD. It's all about personal preference and what works best for you. What one person finds to be comfortable, someone else may find it to be opposite. I'd recommend renting both and see where you go from there. Setting aside the obvious bias this forum has towards HD's, the strong negative opinions towards virtually anything that isn't an HD, I feel you owe it to yourself to evaluate both equally. Having owned both, I thinkthe BMW is a better made bike. Having said that,I now prefer riding an Ultra at 38 years of age. I'm not exactly sure what that means...but maybe by the time I'm 70 I'll be ready for a hartail chopper.
This is an old thread. I bought a RKC in February.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Texian
Banned

Good going Bob !

What do you think of it after 5 months ?

Old 07-28-2007, 10:00 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Texian

Good going Bob !

I've got 6,800 miles on it and it's only let me afoot once. Had to have it towed to the dealer and it took four days to get it fixed. I guess that's about par for a Harley. If it lets me down again, I'll park it in a dark alley in a bad part of OKC and call my insurance company.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Fun Rider 05
Cruiser

If you don"t buy the Harley you will always think about what you could have had.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:52 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

How weird. Your post was pushed towards the top as a recent/active post. Sorry about that. So it's a moot point now, obviously since you already bought the Road King I am wondering do you have any regrets? You mentioned the RK left you stranded once already, do you think it would have been the same with the BMW?

Old 07-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Radical
Tourer

Never mind should have read all the posts before giving an opinion.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Longsnowsm
Advanced

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

ORIGINAL: Texian

Good going Bob !

I've got 6,800 miles on it and it's only let me afoot once. Had to have it towed to the dealer and it took four days to get it fixed. I guess that's about par for a Harley. If it lets me down again, I'll park it in a dark alley in a bad part of OKC and call my insurance company.
BadBob,

So tell us what happened that she left you on the side of the road. I know I would love to hear your impressions and experiences with the bike so far.

Longsnowsm

Old 07-29-2007, 07:46 AM
TimC
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have two BWM cars and they are the greatest. I am sure that the BMW bikes are also technically far superior to most bikes on the road. I just have never liked the styling of the BMWs and have never even considered getting one.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:59 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

I found it necessary to own both. I sold my 02 FLHRCI to by the 05 R1200RT.
The BMW is by far the best bike I have ever owned in the last 39 years of street riding, but the new Harley has come a long way.
The 6 speed trans and 96 CI motor really make a difference.
If I had to own only one at this point, it would be hard to decide. I don`t own an RK. Mine is a Street Glide,but its still close for comparisions.
The beemer is a long day high mile touring machine that is unmatched for reliability, comfort, long life, andlow repair ownership. However. The new Street Glide is also a great cruising machine, but it`s not an all day two up ride and if your a high mile rider you might have some issues withan RK.
I put 36K on the BMW the first year. Its my workbike.I ride it everydayanywhere from 200 to 350 miles.
Its very comfortable and I can trust it to bring me back home when I`m 150 miles from homeout by myself.
I have been riding my new S/G for the last 9 days and have really enjoyed it. I have 1700 on the clock and no complaints or problems.
Its my personal ride and more suited for the type of riding I like to do in my off time. Plus its got soul, looks and you know your on a real bike. It fells more like a motorcycle should than the BMW. It talks to your soul when you ride it. It sounds great and looks good doing what it was meant to do....RIDE.
So my advise would be to go with the Harley, but not the RK....Buy the FLHRCI and you`ll be very happy, as will your wife.

Quick Reply: Harley or BMW