General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley or BMW

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 07:20 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Harley or BMW

I owned an 02 R 1150 RT. It was a fine bike in many, many ways. One thing I never got fully accustomed to was the integrated brake system. I just don't like it. There are times when I want to use the rear brake only and that was not possible. In addition to that: as nice as the Beemer was it just lacked the soul or character of a Harley. It was just too sterile.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:32 PM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley advantages.....

Chicks dig-um!
Better sound!
Resale Resale Resale.....

However, the rice burner does come with an airbag. WTF an airbag? [&:]

Old 06-28-2007, 08:40 PM
drifter4
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You and especially your passenger will be far more comfortable on an ultra classic-------period

Old 06-29-2007, 02:34 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

Holy crap. This thread only had a few messages earlier. Well, I'll just throw out the experience of a friend, and of myself. He got a BMW GT last year. I really likes it and has been on a couple long distance rides, once with me along on my Sportster, once with a friend of his on an RT. In the plus column he likes the handling, it'll go a bit on a tank of gas, he's got cruise control, heated seats, heated grips, and an electronic adjustable windshield. On the minus side he keeps commenting on some glitch in the software that throws off the throttle sometimes after sustained highway speed and he's confirmed it's a known glitch, but the guys at our local BMW dealership are jerks and refuse to fix it because they insist it's a myth. His butt hurt half way through our long distance ride whereas mine (on my Mustang Vintage seat) was fine. He also had some problem in his shoulder that he said keeps happening when he rides the GT whereas I was fine. My only problems consistend of numb hand, and buffeting due to lack of windshield.

My personal BMW story is that I was supposed to go on that long ride on the used 2004 BMW GS I bought last year. The reason I didn't is that I killed the battery because the servo brakes drained it. When I went to replace it, a quick release valve on one of the fuel lines for the gas tank I had to lift to replace the battery snapped (which appears to be a common problem). So the night before the trip I had 4 gallons of gas on my garage floor, and a motorcycle that wasn't going anywhere. In addition, when I go to the dealership the people ignore you, and aren't helpful whereas 2 of the local HD dealerships I've gone to have always been friendly and helpful.

I'm trying to sell the GS to buy another Harley. I still like the GS for what it is, but have ultimately decided I'm a cruiser guy. I like to be able to stop the motorcycle with my feet flat on the ground and relax. Hopefully I can sell the GS, but even if I don't I'll continue to ride it and enjoy it for what it is.

The one last side note is that my friend has dropped his GT twice (when standing still), and I let mine down once (though luckily the GS is designed to go down gracefully). I've not dropped the Sportster once (knock on wood).

Old 06-29-2007, 03:50 AM
IraqIs4Lovers
Cruiser

I wasn't gonna reply to this post cause I find it funny that you're asking a harley-davidson forum if you should buy a Harley or a BMW, but I do wonder what having tattoos, not hanging out with a rough crowd, and being professionals has to do with buying a motorcycle. I find it funny that even riders with experience still have those stereotypes of how a harley owner is. Just get the bike you want. And let go of the stereotype of what a Harley-Davidson owner should look like and act like. If you get a harley you'll meet great friends who are interested in the same things you are and you'll see that this rough crowd, tattoo sporting, unprofessional bunch that you think of is just a myth. Happy riding my friend.

SSG Bailey
07 Dyna Super Glide

Old 06-29-2007, 08:33 AM
GaryWayne
Cruiser

I've never owned a RK but have had 3 Harleys and a R1100RT so I can give you some insight. Very diffrent bikes......so there is no way to say which one would be better for you. If you want to travel fast and love the curves the BMW is a better choice. If you want to travel just a bit slower and don't reall want to burn the curves the RK is a great bike (best frined has one). The RT has much better brakes (ABS) and great weather protection. The RK is comfortable for most (cruisers kill my back anymore..thats why I'm no longer on a Harley), I find the sport/toruing sitting position much better but thats just me. If you are going to travel alot keep in mind that BMW dealers are few and far between (thats the only reason I got rid if my RT). You can't swing a dead cat and not find a Harley dealer or shop. The Harley requires much less upkeep and what little you have to do is easy to do. Ride both if you can and decide. Both very good bikes.

Gary

Old 06-29-2007, 04:09 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I think that the BMW has some cool to it, as I've said before, maybe some not quite as much as a Harley, or a Triumph or Ducati, but better than the over-engineered jap crap...

Old 06-29-2007, 08:28 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: TowJam

ORIGINAL: 07fxdb

ORIGINAL: TowJam

Also someone else said it in earlier post, you can really customize the HD and make it special,and the BMW you'll want to pipe it and after that what??
You're kidding right???

Granted, BMW owners don't spend as much on eye candy farkles but there are probably more functional accessories available for BMWs than Harleys. I don't think it's stereotyping to say that BMW owners are more about the "ride" than the "look" (for proof, just check out the BMW 1200GS - one of the best all-round bikes on the market but with looks only a mother could love).
that's what I would be riding if I were: single/younger, wealthier(to afford tickets) and had more time to ride.Those GS are fantastic bikes, built for function, go anywhere in comfort, speed, balance...uh, but in my current situation, my Bob is what I want - it's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.
Ok, I have a confession to make. I treated myself to another Christmas present last week...
Young Man,

In my honest opinion, that is a god awfully ugly looking motorcycle,

I cannot find one bit of soul in that bike, from the bird beak front fender, or is it a fairing?to the tubular monstrosity of it's frame and industrial saddlebags, it looks cobbled together,

A Ducati I can admire for the purityof it's racy shape, but that BMW is a motocross bike gone techie, industrial. My wife would exit that poor excuse of a rear seat in 15 minutes of riding time, guaranteed, needing a ladder to get on and off in the process,

Last comment, I can only imagine the hit that bike will take on re-sale compared to a HD RK.

Just my two cents,

Old 07-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Professor
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 53 Posts

I have owned both. I'm trying to sell the R1200Rt because it is not comfortable. Your knees lock up, the seat is miserable, and I get a stiff neck from the riding position. All of this is a shame because I like the boxer engine. Also, there are few dealers for support and Harleys seem to maintenance free compared to BMWs.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:31 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

I'm 51 and the wife is 50. I'm 6'1" 220 lbs. and the wife is 5'4" 115 lbs. We don't have tats or hangout with a rough crowd and we're both professionals. I've ridden rice all of my life and I have no complaints, but it's time for something different. I'd like a nice bike that can be used around town, short runs in the countryside and for 200-300 mile days a few times a year. I'd like something that can accomodate a top box that can be quickly removed and stored. Easy removal of side bags would be a plus also. The two bikes that look interesting to me is the R1200RT and the Road King Classic. On paper, the R1200RT looks to be the better bike for my needs. But then again, that RK Classic is sure sexy looking. I'm open to any and all comments.
BMW. Sounds like it would suit your needs better than the HD. It's all about personal preference and what works best for you. What one person finds to be comfortable, someone else may find it to be opposite. I'd recommend renting both and see where you go from there. Setting aside the obvious bias this forum has towards HD's, the strong negative opinions towards virtually anything that isn't an HD, I feel you owe it to yourself to evaluate both equally. Having owned both, I thinkthe BMW is a better made bike. Having said that,I now prefer riding an Ultra at 38 years of age. I'm not exactly sure what that means...but maybe by the time I'm 70 I'll be ready for a hartail chopper.

Quick Reply: Harley or BMW