General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley or BMW

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:43 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Harley or BMW

ORIGINAL: 77Tulsa

It's about time to HIJACK this ****** F@#KER!! KEEP YOUR FRICKEN KEY BOARDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM AND TELL ME.Does your PizzaHut haveWing Street Wings, and what is your favorite flavor?
The owner my local Pizza Hut drives a BMW "M" series.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:45 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

[sm=sleeping.gif]

Old 01-04-2007, 11:46 AM
77Tulsa
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wing Street Wings in that model M?

Old 01-04-2007, 11:52 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Eyespy

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

ORIGINAL: TowJam

Not really. Harley is relatively low tech and is using an architecture that has been perfected through the years (the internal oil lines they've added in the past year for example). On the other hand, BMW puts a lot of cutting edge technology on their bikes - traction control, tire pressure monitoring, canbus electrical system, etc. and as a result, a BMW owner is more likely to encounter bugs with the new technology. One of the biggest maintenance issues with BMW is the rear Paralever shaft drive system. Despite BMW's marketing materials, it's not maintenance free and failure to take care of it can ultimately put you on the side of the road.

Having owned 4 Harleys and now on my 4th BMW, I would concur that a stock* Harley is probably the most reliable and lowest maintenance of pretty much any bike currently on the market.

* You start dicking around with engine and exhaustmods and all bets are off.

my $.02 worth
Aren't the '07's running so lean that you basically have to add pipes, A/C and a SERT or PCIII just to keep from cooking the rider and keep your headers from turning blue? What problems do these mods cause?
Adding less restrictive exhaust and intake would only amplify the lean condition, making the remap of the FI system even more necessary.
Hence, the SERT or PCIII.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:31 AM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aren't the '07's running so lean that you basically have to add pipes, A/C and a SERT or PCIII just to keep from cooking the rider and keep your headers from turning blue? What problems do these mods cause?
The twin cam engine is just a hot running engine. The SERT and PCIII help optimize the AFR for performance and in the process it helps with some of the heat. You can optimize it all you like and make it as rich as you want and it will still be a hot running engine (just a tad less). The sportster engine that is suppose to be just as lean from the factory doesn't run nearly as hot. The old Evo big twin engines didn't run nearly as hot either.

Even then it still runs cool compared to the heat the Honda ST1300 and Yamaha FJR1300 generates. Now those are engines that run hot.

Don't get caught up with all the modifications if you don't want to do them.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:30 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior

Even then it still runs cool compared to the heat the Honda ST1300 and Yamaha FJR1300 generates. Now those are engines that run hot.
I can't speak for the FRJ but I've owned an ST1300 and you're right - the ST's V4 engine does generate a considerable amount of heat - enough to be uncomfortable (at least for me) in slow traffic. But, the ST doesn't feel near as hot to the rider as the 96" twin cam.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:42 AM
jr_c6
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: 77Tulsa

Does your PizzaHut haveWing Street Wings, and what is your favorite flavor?
The new Pizza Hut Wingstreet buffalo sauces are outstanding - especially the "Medium Hot"! Have you tried them yet? Also, try the Spicy Asian (the flavor ) . YUM!

Old 01-05-2007, 09:44 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior

The new Pizza Hut Wingstreet buffalo sauces are outstanding - especially the "Medium Hot"! Have you tried them yet? Also, try the Spicy Asian (the flavor ) . YUM!
No fair! Don't hijack our pissing contest.

(Anyway, Domino's has the spiciest wings. They make my eyes water as if I'm watching "Old Yeller".)

Old 01-05-2007, 02:19 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1200c

The twin cam engine is just a hot running engine. The SERT and PCIII help optimize the AFR for performance and in the process it helps with some of the heat. You can optimize it all you like and make it as rich as you want and it will still be a hot running engine (just a tad less). The sportster engine that is suppose to be just as lean from the factory doesn't run nearly as hot. The old Evo big twin engines didn't run nearly as hot either.

Don't get caught up with all the modifications if you don't want to do them.
Well, actually I'd prefer not to mess with engine/pipe/ecm/ac mods. I'd prefer to spend my money on things like the detachable tour-pak, custom seat and a few items to personalize my bike. Why doesn't the MoCo just do it right from the factory?

Old 01-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,489 Likes on 4,381 Posts

I like the ones with those little pepper chunkies on them that will eat a hole in your tongue unless you stick your tongue into a glass of ice cold beer! Oh, was this thread about somethin else that matters more in life?
ORIGINAL: TowJam

No fair! Don't hijack our pissing contest.

(Anyway, Domino's has the spiciest wings. They make my eyes water as if I'm watching "Old Yeller".)

Quick Reply: Harley or BMW