General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley or BMW

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:57 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Harley or BMW

ORIGINAL: sfarson

I really want a Road King Classic because they look so nice (so did the Fords and Olds) but I know in my heart there are better products like BMW out there.
Better products for what?

If it's reliability I give the edge to H-D. If it's sporty touring I give the edge to BMW. If it's riding around town I give it to H-D. If it's creature comforts the nod goes to BMW. If it's soul and/or exhaust note in stock form, I give it to H-D. If it's safety/accessories like ABS, heated grips, accessory sockets advantage BMW. If it's an extensive dealer support network, H-D. And so forth. I ride both.
It seems strange that the H-D would be more reliable than the BMW.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:59 PM
SquishFace
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you people still argueing about this? Just buy one of each and be done with it.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:11 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really. Harley is relatively low tech and is using an architecture that has been perfected through the years (the internal oil lines they've added in the past year for example). On the other hand, BMW puts a lot of cutting edge technology on their bikes - traction control, tire pressure monitoring, canbus electrical system, etc. and as a result, a BMW owner is more likely to encounter bugs with the new technology. One of the biggest maintenance issues with BMW is the rear Paralever shaft drive system. Despite BMW's marketing materials, it's not maintenance free and failure to take care of it can ultimately put you on the side of the road.

Having owned 4 Harleys and now on my 4th BMW, I would concur that a stock* Harley is probably the most reliable and lowest maintenance of pretty much any bike currently on the market.

* You start dicking around with engine and exhaustmods and all bets are off.

my $.02 worth

Old 01-03-2007, 05:33 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[/quote]

BadBobOk,
Why would it seem strange to you? I had a BMW 540I that was one of the most unreliable cars I ever owned. I really liked the looks and the handling, but it broke down so much that I was afraid to take it on long trips. I traded it for a Lexus GS 430. The Lexus was faster and had better brakes. It did everythingextremely well, but it was just plain boring to drive.
I have had no problems to date with my Fat Boy. I can't comment on BMW bikes. My last 2 bikes were big Yamahas. I had no problems with them either, but they didn't have the feel of the Harley. They had no soul, too sanitized.
Tom

Old 01-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: SquishFace

Are you people still argueing about this? Just buy one of each and be done with it.
I'm with you,this is getting tiresome.
If you have to ask,,,,,,,,,,,get a Goldwing

Old 01-03-2007, 07:15 PM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

ORIGINAL: sfarson

I really want a Road King Classic because they look so nice (so did the Fords and Olds) but I know in my heart there are better products like BMW out there.
Better products for what?

If it's reliability I give the edge to H-D. If it's sporty touring I give the edge to BMW. If it's riding around town I give it to H-D. If it's creature comforts the nod goes to BMW. If it's soul and/or exhaust note in stock form, I give it to H-D. If it's safety/accessories like ABS, heated grips, accessory sockets advantage BMW. If it's an extensive dealer support network, H-D. And so forth. I ride both.
It is true. Believe most owning both, not having an agenda, would concur. Three big twins owned here over the years... ZERO problems. Can't say that for the BMR R and K bikes owned. I think their "high techness" leads to "high techness" problems. Still love the Munich product and I'm loyal, but give the reliability nod to Milwaukee, and it is why I asked "Better products for what?".

Old 01-04-2007, 10:13 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: TowJam

Not really. Harley is relatively low tech and is using an architecture that has been perfected through the years (the internal oil lines they've added in the past year for example). On the other hand, BMW puts a lot of cutting edge technology on their bikes - traction control, tire pressure monitoring, canbus electrical system, etc. and as a result, a BMW owner is more likely to encounter bugs with the new technology. One of the biggest maintenance issues with BMW is the rear Paralever shaft drive system. Despite BMW's marketing materials, it's not maintenance free and failure to take care of it can ultimately put you on the side of the road.

Having owned 4 Harleys and now on my 4th BMW, I would concur that a stock* Harley is probably the most reliable and lowest maintenance of pretty much any bike currently on the market.

my $.02 worth
Aren't the '07's running so lean that you basically have to add pipes, A/C and a SERT or PCIII just to keep from cooking the rider and keep your headers from turning blue? What problems do these mods cause?

Old 01-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

ORIGINAL: TowJam

my $.02 worth
Aren't the '07's running so lean that you basically have to add pipes, A/C and a SERT or PCIII just to keep from cooking the rider and keep your headers from turning blue? What problems do these mods cause?
Adding less restrictive exhaust and intake would only amplify the lean condition, making the remap of the FI system even more necessary.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:42 AM
wardenwf
Cruiser

I have owned BMWs all my life. A 1953 chopped R68, 1983 R100R, 1996 R1150R, 1983 K100RS and an R1150R. Along with those several Japanese bikes including a KZ900. Also old Triumph 650s and two new triumph Bonnevilles, Speedmaster and T100. I currently own a 2007 Harley Street Bob. It is the most enjoyable machine I have ever ridden. The second most enjoyable bike was a 1983 Sportster. Give the Harley a try, it will be worth it.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:41 AM
77Tulsa
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's about time to HIJACK this ****** F@#KER!! KEEP YOUR FRICKEN KEY BOARDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM AND TELL ME.Does your PizzaHut haveWing Street Wings, and what is your favorite flavor?

Quick Reply: Harley or BMW