General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley or BMW

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 09:01 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Harley or BMW

Wow, this topic has some legs! If I could afford it, I would have one of each! Plus a Duc 1098, that big axx Triumph, a Buell (pick one-they're damn fun!), and a ......., and a....... Aww, hell! Too many great bikes-not enough money!

Old 01-02-2007, 09:10 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So many bikes, so little time. This old farts advice is buy either one now and when you tire of it in 1, 3, 5 (or whatever) years from now, buy the other. The longer you live the more neat experiences there are to gather !!

Old 01-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think we pretty much agree on this. Like I said in an earlier post, I gave up on Detroit with my 1984 Ford and Olds. When my son wanted a pickup, I gave in and got him a 1999 GMC Sierra with 10,000 miles on it. It was like new. Within one year I went through two alternators, one water pump and all manner of interior and exterior hardware either broke or fell off. I sold it and got him a Toyota. No more problems period. I really want a Road King Classic because they look so nice (so did the Fords and Olds) but I know in my heart there are better products like BMW out there
So I guess American isn't for you.
I'm sure a BMW site will tell you the same.Go with the BMW

Old 01-02-2007, 09:38 PM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really want a Road King Classic because they look so nice (so did the Fords and Olds) but I know in my heart there are better products like BMW out there.
Better products for what?

If it's reliability I give the edge to H-D. If it's sporty touring I give the edge to BMW. If it's riding around town I give it to H-D. If it's creature comforts the nod goes to BMW. If it's soul and/or exhaust note in stock form, I give it to H-D. If it's safety/accessories like ABS, heated grips, accessory sockets advantage BMW. If it's an extensive dealer support network, H-D. And so forth. I ride both.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: sfarson

I really want a Road King Classic because they look so nice (so did the Fords and Olds) but I know in my heart there are better products like BMW out there.
Better products for what?

If it's reliability I give the edge to H-D. If it's sporty touring I give the edge to BMW. If it's riding around town I give it to H-D. If it's creature comforts the nod goes to BMW. If it's soul and/or exhaust note in stock form, I give it to H-D. If it's safety/accessories like ABS, heated grips, accessory sockets advantage BMW. If it's an extensive dealer support network, H-D. And so forth. I ride both.
That's the line that got my attention

Old 01-02-2007, 09:48 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior

You ride that thing on the street ? Looks more like a dirt bike.
ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

ORIGINAL: TowJam

Ok, I have a confession to make. I treated myself to another Christmas present last week...
Nice GS. How do you like it? I'm trying do decide between the R1200RT and the H-D RK Classic. Maybe I should get one of each.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:08 PM
TampaJim
Road Master

ORIGINAL: hd2007

You ride that thing on the street ? Looks more like a dirt bike.
There is a guy in our group that rode one of those to Alaska and back (from Florida) summer before last. This year he went to Nova Scotia then around Lake Michigan and back . Believe he has put about 40k on it in two years. Doesn't look that comfortable to me but the bike is capable.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:22 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

They will go over, or thru anything. Which is good, cuz if it stays stationary for long, people can see how UGLY they are.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:41 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

+1

Old 01-02-2007, 11:49 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: New2Harley

They will go over, or thru anything. Which is good, cuz if it stays stationary for long, people can see how UGLY they are.
No argument there.

Quick Reply: Harley or BMW