General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley or BMW

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 12:02 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Harley or BMW

Alot of B-S flying around here. In 2002 I sold a Heritage Classic to buy a BMW R 1150 RT. Rode that for four years and sold that when I bought my 05 1200 C. I didn't feel myself changing one bit both timesI changed directions.

If anybody is keeping score. I'm one of those that thinks the American worker has contributed greatly to the present state of affairs. Extreme unrealistic high pay in turn for lousy work ethic which helps result in outsourcing.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,489 Likes on 4,381 Posts

Jeez Louise! It's 2007... just go ride your bike!!!!

Old 01-02-2007, 01:58 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 07fxdb

ORIGINAL: TowJam

Also someone else said it in earlier post, you can really customize the HD and make it special,and the BMW you'll want to pipe it and after that what??
You're kidding right???

Granted, BMW owners don't spend as much on eye candy farkles but there are probably more functional accessories available for BMWs than Harleys. I don't think it's stereotyping to say that BMW owners are more about the "ride" than the "look" (for proof, just check out the BMW 1200GS - one of the best all-round bikes on the market but with looks only a mother could love).
that's what I would be riding if I were: single/younger, wealthier(to afford tickets) and had more time to ride.Those GS are fantastic bikes, built for function, go anywhere in comfort, speed, balance...uh, but in my current situation, my Bob is what I want - it's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.
Ok, I have a confession to make. I treated myself to another Christmas present last week...

Old 01-02-2007, 02:09 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

That will put a smile on your face. Congratulations !!

Old 01-02-2007, 02:11 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: whaap

That will put a smile on your face. Congratulations !!
Thanks!

Pretty, it ain't. But it's a great "do everything" bike.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:10 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: TowJam

Ok, I have a confession to make. I treated myself to another Christmas present last week...
Nice GS. How do you like it? I'm trying do decide between the R1200RT and the H-D RK Classic. Maybe I should get one of each.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:09 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Big Sled

You crack me up. Here you set at your computer telling us to go ride our bikes!!! What's wrong with that picture??? LOL

Old 01-02-2007, 06:15 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

Nice GS. How do you like it? I'm trying do decide between the R1200RT and the H-D RK Classic. Maybe I should get one of each.
I like the GS for its versatility - it's a great handling bike on the pavement - pretty much at any speed - and it has surprisingly good weather and wind protection. I'm a pavement princess so I can't speak firsthand for it's off-road handling but I think Ewan and Charley demonstrated the GS' capabilities in the Long Way Round. (As much as I appreciate their accomplishment, I have absolutely NO desire to do adventure touring. Zero. Zilch. Nada.)

My only real complaint with the GS is the height. I'm 5'6" and even with the optional low seat, I'm still not flatfooting it.Mounting/dismounting takes a little more effort and concentration - especially with the side cases mounted. I've had a GS previously and on more than one occasion, I darn near dropped it just trying to get on or off.

Oh, and it sounds like a wet fart.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,489 Likes on 4,381 Posts

Ice! freekin eekin glare ice for the first mile getting out of my place while the rest of the roads are OK for riding. It's enough to make me want to trailer it. Tomorrow is forecast to be OK... then on Thursday the bad stuff hits again. What bugs me is the green indicator light on the tender saying "ready to ride... ready to ride". Should cover that light.
ORIGINAL: whaap

ORIGINAL: Big Sled

You crack me up. Here you set at your computer telling us to go ride our bikes!!! What's wrong with that picture??? LOL

Old 01-02-2007, 08:14 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Babs

Not to start anything. All said with good will intended just to contribute to the conversation.
On the "patriotism" of buying one vehicle over another..

My bike's a Harley (despite it's less than optimum manufacturing or competitive workmanship).

My cars.. Built and assembled in Japan.. And I make sure of it if I can.. Though the wife loves her Sienna, assembled in Tennessee I think so I risked it, relying on the Toyota name. I don't want a single American, turning a wrench on any new car I buy before it's prepped, and I'll typically watch the droppouts prep before I take it.

My patriotism.. Extremely high.. But my expectations for quality, design and reliability equally high.. A true American is also conscious of value and quality as they would be with supporting our own. I made exception with the Harley because I simply always wanted one.. I excepted a certain level of incompetence at all stages of assembly. I eccepted and expected it, when it started leaking because of a poorly installed shifter seal.. "Warranty" is a great word. Depends on what level of assembly quality issues you're willing to risk.. Keep in mind, HD's are made by union guys under turmoil because of talks of another plant somewhere and wage/benefit wars.. The usual union business as usual.

By the way.. I'm no liberal.. I make Limbaugh and Hannity look like Gore or or Pilosi on one of her exceptionally San Franciscan rants.

So the "buy American" correlation to liberalism is baloney.. sorry.

Now clothing and other items.. I do try to buy American.. But I just have too much insight into the state of the failed manufacturing and work ethic in this troubled uneducated nation to extend patriotism into big ticket items.. But I pray that will change someday, but I know it won't happen by means of government-supplied education.

I also don't much subscribe to stereotypes.. Some of the most "real" guys I know ride rice and I've seen some of the cheesiest posers on hogs or customs... and vice versa.. Point being it doesn't matter the bike you're on.. You're who you are regardless. I usually have some of the best heated debates with a rider friend of mine that's as liberal as they come.. He's got a nice E-Glide Classic though. Go figure.

Happy New Year

I think we pretty much agree on this. Like I said in an earlier post, I gave up on Detroit with my 1984 Ford and Olds. When my son wanted a pickup, I gave in and got him a 1999 GMC Sierra with 10,000 miles on it. It was like new. Within one year I went through two alternators, one water pump and all manner of interior and exterior hardware either broke or fell off. I sold it and got him a Toyota. No more problems period. I really want a Road King Classic because they look so nice (so did the Fords and Olds) but I know in my heart there are better products like BMW out there.

Quick Reply: Harley or BMW