General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

politics & learning to follow!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:41 PM
shagster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default politics & learning to follow!

Did a week long road trip recently with five guys I'd never ridden with. I usually ride with my wife or with her and a great friend and I usually lead. Well with the new group I was fine to follow (since I didn't know the route) and I tried to "fit in" but after a couple of days I realized that one of the guys wanted to be right behind the leader (which is where I'd been hanging). It was no big deal. Then one of the guys was complaining about keeping a strict stagger, etc.......It kinda bugged me. Don't get me wrong I like to ride in a safe and predictable manner but I don't like someone telling me how to ride (especially since I've probably put in 2 or 3 times as many miles as they have). Anyway guess I'm feeling maybe I'm a little too individualist for groups like this.........or maybe it's always awkward riding with a new group and I should have been more submissive. Anyone want to share their experiences?

Old 03-25-2012, 09:59 PM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first started riding, I was so excited to be invited to go on a long ride with about 7 other bikes. Some solo and a few couples. We started from a local Starbucks and before we headed out, I mentioned and reminded everyone that I was a "newbie" and was reassured that we would be taking it easy. Not the case. I found myself in the middle trying to keep up as these guys rode like we were late for a wedding. I got more and more stressed out, and at the next stop, I bowed out, stayed at the back and let them all ride like they stole it, and hooked up at the next stop. When we headed home, I said my goodbyes and took another route home. My way.
I'm a lot more experienced rider today, but this type of riding is still not my bag.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:38 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I go on trips it is with family and well all have similar riding habits or at this point have ridden together enough we know what to expect.
Went on a overnight ride with like 40 bikes last summer and started out in the middle but after the first stop ended up near the back and just staying within the group enough to not lose where we were going.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:12 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Group Riding

I like to hang in the back too..seems the easiest place to take it all in. I have been on a couple of group rides where the person in front of me must have been from another planet. Looking around at everything that passes and not keeping up with the group at all. If there is a quarter mile between you and the group in front of you, you must want to play hide and seek. I believe in a safe interval but if you can't keep up go to the back or go home.
Another of my favorites is for someone to ride right next to me in the same lane...Are you trying to show me what a good rider you are ? Go home idiot and let mommy change your diaper.

Last edited by dyna rider; 03-25-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:21 PM
DC4MVP
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

Yea, the group i ride with is just a "ride to be safe" type of formation. I love riding near the center stripe and I'll be there regardless of where the person in front of me is. If someone is directly in front of me, I'll drop back a bit to give some decent space.

Sometimes a few of the group will stretch their legs a bit and hammer the throttle but won't get too far ahead and slow down back to the pack before a turn off or going into a destination.

Like I said, we don't really care just as long as everyone is riding safe. Sometimes people make riding more difficult than it should. It should be about having fun and being safe, not worrying if you're in the correct formation.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:36 AM
99octane
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a newbye I rode alone for several years. Didn't want to slow anybody down, nor be forced to keep a pace I didn' feel comfortable with.
Rode with a group last week, with some green guys on test bikes they didn't know well, and it all went well, as the guys who organized the ride knew how you ride in groups.
Sometimes problems arise because people ride in groups without knowing the basics of group riding.
Anyway riding in groups requires each member accepts he has to make compromises and accept some limitations. Refusing to accept rules and limitation is ok (after all we ride to be free ) as long as you do it by yourself. When in a group you stick to the rules and you can't just think about yourself, you have to look out for your mates.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:40 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,660 Likes on 2,537 Posts

**** on group rides. That's all I got to say about that.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:27 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

I hear ya, Poker runs and the beer stops then they really get pumped. I shy away from them just because of that. Christmas toy runs I do during the holidays but thats about it. Finding seasoned riders to ride with that are out to enjoy the ride and not tryin to play captain or hotdog comes far and few IMHO.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:39 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by shagster
Then one of the guys was complaining about keeping a strict stagger, etc.......It kinda bugged me. Don't get me wrong I like to ride in a safe and predictable manner but I don't like someone telling me how to ride (especially since I've probably put in 2 or 3 times as many miles as they have). Anyway guess I'm feeling maybe I'm a little too individualist for groups like this.........or maybe it's always awkward riding with a new group and I should have been more submissive. Anyone want to share their experiences?
My experience is that I don't like to ride with people like you. There is a reason for the staggered formation and you allegedly understand it. However, you obviously weren't riding in formation - otherwise, no one would have had to say anything to you. Then, you got PO'd when someone told you "how to ride". Further, the fact that you've done 2 to 3 times as many miles as anyone else, certainly doesn't mean that you're a more skilled rider. What a naive way to think.

IMO, you're better off riding solo OR finding a group who shares your style of riding.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:47 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
There is a reason for the staggered formation and you allegedly understand it. However, you obviously weren't riding in formation
+1 on that, staggard and not breaking formation is what it's all about, you put the rest of the group in harms way if you dont, period!

Quick Reply: politics & learning to follow!