General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

politics & learning to follow!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 AM
HarleyGyrene
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
**** on group rides. That's all I got to say about that.
Yep.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Low Down
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shagster
Did a week long road trip recently with five guys I'd never ridden with. I usually ride with my wife or with her and a great friend and I usually lead. Well with the new group I was fine to follow (since I didn't know the route) and I tried to "fit in" but after a couple of days I realized that one of the guys wanted to be right behind the leader (which is where I'd been hanging). It was no big deal. Then one of the guys was complaining about keeping a strict stagger, etc.......It kinda bugged me. Don't get me wrong I like to ride in a safe and predictable manner but I don't like someone telling me how to ride (especially since I've probably put in 2 or 3 times as many miles as they have). Anyway guess I'm feeling maybe I'm a little too individualist for groups like this.........or maybe it's always awkward riding with a new group and I should have been more submissive. Anyone want to share their experiences?

Originally Posted by rwt
Interesting! The OP asked about group riding protocol, and everyone who doesn't group ride, or dislikes group riding responds.

Bottom line: the OP chose to ride in a group. Group protocol is to ride in a staggered formation, unless road conditions/safety mandate single file. If you don't like groups, fine. Stay out of them, but if you choose to join a group, follow the group riding protocol. Complaining that "someone is telling me how to ride" when you don't follow the group riding formation is just plain childish.

WTF!? The OP is venting a little and asking people to share their experiences about group riding... where exactly is he asking about riding protocol??

Old 03-27-2012, 09:22 AM
chopped7
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i usually ride right next to the guy on the bagger with the stereo so i can listen to the tunes.

i'm going on my first big group ride this friday. i have always ridden with friends or by myself. it's going to be interesting for sure.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:22 AM
OsoFat
Cruiser

I take a couple of long weekend rides with 6-10 buddies, every year. There's usually a newbie or two mixed in. We ride staggered, when road conditions allow, keeping enough distance between bikes, but not enough to encourage cages into the mix. Gas stops are planned around whoever has the smallest tank. Everyone tops off then, unless they know they can make the next stop. We're never in a rush to get to the destination, so a 15 minute gas stop is no big deal. I've only had to uninvite one dude, who insists on taking pictures WHILE RIDING, and weaving all over the road, as well as always being the last guy to mount his bike, while everyone else is ready to roll. The keys to group riding, is having everyone on the same page, safety-wise, and being able to go with the flow. It's really great to sit around a campfire, having a beer and talking about the day's ride.

Bear

Last edited by OsoFat; 03-27-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: sp
Old 03-28-2012, 02:04 PM
shagster
Cruiser

I really enjoyed reading everyone's response. Each represents a unique point of view, all of which makes up the "colorful" motorcycling community. In retrospect my preference will always be to ride solo, with my wife and close friends. However when riding with another group respect their protocol and above all else ride with safety for yourself and fellow riders in mind. Cheers.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:27 PM
blackchipjim
Road Captain

I ride solo and will always ride solo,I have turned down riding with others and always will. Group mentality can work for or against you depending on the group. Try riding for long distance with someone sitting behind you telling you they have to pee!

Old 03-29-2012, 04:39 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
**** on group rides. That's all I got to say about that.
Couldn't have said it better myself.