General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

politics & learning to follow!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 PM
TW
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My only group riding is with my Brothers and it's side-by-side, and about 2-3 feet away from the guy in front of you.
No staggering, not even in the corners. If a guy can't stay in his half of the lane, I don't care to ride with him.
I'm too old to learn how to ride any different, but no disrespect to anyone who chooses to.

Last edited by TW; 03-28-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Baxter's Bagger
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

90% of my rides are solo 2-up with my bride and best friend. She's really the only company I want when I ride, and it's not all about safety. We just like doing our own thing.

The exceptions are poker runs and large rallies. When headed to Sturgis the moment you head north off of I-80 you're in heavy unorganized group riding all headed to the same destination. One slow rider will hold up the line of traffic and the idiot bikers will pass on the right to get one more bike length ahead. And for God's sake don't get me started on the scenery rides around Sturgis. Good Lord, bumper to bumper with all levels of skills mixed in. We're going this year, but it's just getting to be too much of a hassle..

Old 03-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think there's a huge difference between a "group ride" and riding with a few friends.

I've done & still do some big group rides, mostly for charities, but I"ll admit that I'm usually paranoid and stressed/frustrated the whole time.

But I've some friends that I ride with, usually no more than a group of 4 or 5 total, and we all know each other's skills and styles and habits now that it's almost never a question or problem. We know what to expect from each other and we just get on our bikes and go.
Great times. But I don't really consider those "group rides".

Old 03-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,764 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Pretty much the same reasons I won't join a club - always some body with big conchos telling everyone else what to do, how to do it, and when to get it done. But you have to have discipline in any type of group.

I'm not big on following orders.

There are three guys I'll ride with. But then, we've hunted, fished, and biked together the past thirty years. You get to know someone by that.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I haven't been in any group rides and I even shy away when an 'acquaintance' says "we need to get out and ride, man!". Guys always tend to get out to see who'd dick's the biggest. Not interested.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:19 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I love to ride solo when I do I tend to wonder my entire lane . I love to ride with my wife , we stay side by side. I love to ride with my family , we ride side by side tire to tire. I can adapt to about any ride with people I haven't rode with before , I just leave myself some wiggle room, but I still enjoy the ride. I ride in a few poker runs a year, usually by the third draw a small band of us hits the left shoulder and passes the group and just do our own thing...but at least we contributed some cash. basically I guess I love to ride

Old 03-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

I ride with my brother. I taught him to ride and I trust him. Can't say that about anyone else I know so I guess we will just keep doing our own thing...

Old 03-27-2012, 07:07 AM
rwt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting! The OP asked about group riding protocol, and everyone who doesn't group ride, or dislikes group riding responds.

Bottom line: the OP chose to ride in a group. Group protocol is to ride in a staggered formation, unless road conditions/safety mandate single file. If you don't like groups, fine. Stay out of them, but if you choose to join a group, follow the group riding protocol. Complaining that "someone is telling me how to ride" when you don't follow the group riding formation is just plain childish.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by TW
My only group riding is with my Brothers and it's side-by-side, and about 2-3 away from the guy in front of you.
No staggering, not even in the corners. If a guy can't stay in his half of the lane, I don't care to ride with him.
I'm too old to learn how to ride any different, but no disrespect to anyone who chooses to.
That's cool, until you have to make an emergency maneuver and run the person on your right off the road or left into a head on collision with another vehicle.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Now yer' gettin' it! The formation IS designed with everyone's safety involved.

This is why most of them end up being whittled down to a cohesive group of people who understand and trust each others riding styles & abilities. Again, worrying about formation is akin to worrying about safety.

Not into group riding? That's cool, but don't dis and stereotype those who are.
I had 4 friends I used to always ride with before everyone just kind of moved away. There was no worry about formations, it was more about making sure you keep enough distance between you and the person in front of you at any speed so that you won't go down because you don't have enough time to react.

Worrying about the formation is assinine when that's all you're worrying about. Staying staggered won't do anything for a group that's bunched up or intruding in someone else's space.

Quick Reply: politics & learning to follow!