General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

politics & learning to follow!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 12:34 PM
WIHD55
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both sides of the coin here. In general we ride solo or with a very small group of family. The small group I trust explicitly. Similar to other posts here, we all know what the other person will do in each situation.

Though you have to watch my one brother-in-law, who is notorious for hitting your kill switch if you are not watching

For years I was involved with several charity event major rides as the Head Road Captain. No matter how much you prepare, there will always be a few idiots who don't have a clue. They are the same ones who won't listen to preride instructions. There are a handful of these events I still do, but strictly as a rider. One I still do as the sweep bike. Otherwise I now avoid them.

Just once in the last decade I was in a situation where I had to ride hard and tight with a strange group of guys.

We were in Hawaii on vacation (Honolulu). I have a brother that rides with a local MC there. We rented a Softail Deluxe the first few days (They were out of SG's.). Went to the Club meeting the night before and met up with them the next morning. As normal MC procedure, I said I would ride in the back with the sweeper.

Great roads there, nice tight curves, etc. Unfortunately I was on a rental with mushy brakes so I thought I was riding a bit conservatively. We were literally 2-3 feet apart all the way. I would back off a bit when we hit a blind curve. After the first stop, one of the members said to the sweeper, can he ride? Yeah, he can ride. Rest of the trip I rode near the front next to my brother. They rode even tighter! But it was like one big machine, once you got in the groove, it was a sweet exciting run around the island.

There was no way in hell I was going to make my little brother look bad with his friends. After the half way point she finally took her nails out of my ribs.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:38 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ride with my club and I ride with close friends. Never a problem because I have no expectations of what it should be. I know them well and if someone else joins us I don't know, I just watch them. This crap is over thought and over talked. There are several on this forum that could ride with us and I would enjoy their company. Their are many that couldn't keep up or wouldn't enjoy the ride. I have watched several changes in the dynamics of my group. Somedays I am at or near the front. Somedays I ride in the middle. Somedays I take drag along with a friend. He seems to like drag more and more as we get older. I think he has lost the need to ride as tight and fast as we use to. I can ride where I want. None would care or question it.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
My experience is that I don't like to ride with people like you. There is a reason for the staggered formation and you allegedly understand it. However, you obviously weren't riding in formation - otherwise, no one would have had to say anything to you. Then, you got PO'd when someone told you "how to ride". Further, the fact that you've done 2 to 3 times as many miles as anyone else, certainly doesn't mean that you're a more skilled rider. What a naive way to think.

IMO, you're better off riding solo OR finding a group who shares your style of riding.
Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
+1 on that, staggard and not breaking formation is what it's all about, you put the rest of the group in harms way if you dont, period!
The only way a staggered formation is safe is if you give the person infront of you enough distance so that if they have an emergency, you can stop in time, not the person infront of them. There are too many people that ride too close. Also, a rider should have enough space and time to move anywhere in their lane without having to worry about hitting the rider directly infront or behind them. If someone is going to bitch at me because I'm not riding in the left or right side of the lane the entire time, they can go suck a dick for all I care.

This is why I normally ride by myself. There are way too many idiots out there to have to worry about people that are going to be more **** retentive about a motorcycle formation than safety.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
My experience is that I don't like to ride with people like you. There is a reason for the staggered formation and you allegedly understand it.
I have to agree with this. I don't like people messin' up the formation. It's really for safety of everyone. However, I can see anyone getting a little miffed by having anyone else telling them how to ride.

I don't like people that are all over the place when group riding. My best friend is like this, and he's been riding since the mid-70's. He refuses to stay staggered, etc. I don't like riding with him much.

As far as me personally, I like to lead (was road captain for an ABATE chapter for several years) or sweep (last). I'll always insist on being last with any new group.

However, I eliminate most all group politics by telling people that "I ride slow" when asked to go for a ride. That's not 100% entirely true, but it almost always gets me out of group riding.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:17 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by fleabite
I have to agree with this. I don't like people messin' up the formation. It's really for safety of everyone. However, I can see anyone getting a little miffed by having anyone else telling them how to ride.

I don't like people that are all over the place when group riding. My best friend is like this, and he's been riding since the mid-70's. He refuses to stay staggered, etc. I don't like riding with him much.

As far as me personally, I like to lead (was road captain for an ABATE chapter for several years) or sweep (last). I'll always insist on being last with any new group.

However, I eliminate most all group politics by telling people that "I ride slow" when asked to go for a ride. That's not 100% entirely true, but it almost always gets me out of group riding.

I've always found a simple " No " or for the more insistent types a good belly laugh and " f*ck no ! " works just fine , no politics involved to miss read

Old 03-26-2012, 03:27 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
The only way a staggered formation is safe is if you give the person in front of you enough distance so that if they have an emergency, you can stop in time, not the person infront of them. Also, a rider should have enough space and time to move anywhere in their lane without having to worry about hitting the rider directly in front or behind them.
Now yer' gettin' it! The formation IS designed with everyone's safety involved.

This is why I normally ride by myself. There are way too many idiots out there to have to worry about people that are going to be more **** retentive about a motorcycle formation than safety.
This is why most of them end up being whittled down to a cohesive group of people who understand and trust each others riding styles & abilities. Again, worrying about formation is akin to worrying about safety.

Not into group riding? That's cool, but don't dis and stereotype those who are.

Last edited by AnotherBlackSG; 03-26-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Groups rides are fine to Starbucks, but other than that they take twice as long to get anywhere. I need gas, 15 minutes later I gotta pee, 15 minutes later I need gas....

Old 03-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by murd
When I first started riding, I was so excited to be invited to go on a long ride with about 7 other bikes. Some solo and a few couples. We started from a local Starbucks and before we headed out, I mentioned and reminded everyone that I was a "newbie" and was reassured that we would be taking it easy. Not the case. I found myself in the middle trying to keep up as these guys rode like we were late for a wedding. I got more and more stressed out, and at the next stop, I bowed out, stayed at the back and let them all ride like they stole it, and hooked up at the next stop. When we headed home, I said my goodbyes and took another route home. My way.
I'm a lot more experienced rider today, but this type of riding is still not my bag.
I was out riding with my aunt an uncle one day and he's far more experienced then I was. I had maybe a riding season in and was not particularly good in curves. I almost dumped my bike trying to keep up with him. After riding for about 6 hours. Which is far longer then I used to I actually put my foot down doing about 30mph, because otherwise I wouldn't have kept the bike up. I was worn out. I ended up just letting him dart way ahead and decided I'd ride my own speed until we were done.

We stopped for gas and I told him I was done, that I was tired and my skills were really hitting the floor. They said that's fine they'd have enough for the day too.

But I do ride a lot by myself. I can go faster or slower depending on my mood, etc.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:16 PM
OldIron61
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
I love riding, probably partially because of the solitude it provides. It lets me put my life into perspective, allowing "all in the world to be right again".
1000% Agreement

Old 03-26-2012, 04:17 PM
OldIron61
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazingC5
46 years solo. "It's not you, it's me"

Quick Reply: politics & learning to follow!