General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

comparing bike ownership in the world

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 03:46 PM
kalamitty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default comparing bike ownership in the world

Just a thought, in the uk. we have to pay, a road fund license every year ( this is a tax the money is supposed to help maintain the roads but goes into the goverment), £74 per year for a harley (dollar is $1.51 to a £1.) next we have to have insurance, this is compulsory at the least third party, i'm paying £199 per year. and when the bike is 3years old then it needs a compulsory MOT ( stands for ministry of transport) £30 per year, this is to make sure the vehicle is roadwhorthy ie min tread depth of tyres, brakes work lights work etc. the question is what happens where you live? can you just buy a bike and ride it etc.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In California, we pay for registration tags each year and insurance is required.
No inspection or fees required.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:01 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

We pay tolls, depending on where you live. We pay for registration every year, which I assume is your road fund license. We have to insure bikes to the minimum liability depending on the state. Full coverage insurance if you are financing. Safety is not a concern with motorcycles so a safety check is not required. Unless you are in the military. But you dont pay a fee so some idiot can say "yes your bike is roadworthy"

Actually you can ride a bike and just ride. Dont get caught.

Motorcycles are not considered as main transportation over here it is considered more of a recreational vehicle.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Heck, my full coverage insurance costs alone exceed all your fees combined.
"We live in the most litigious society in the world"
Upon purchase of my Glide, I had to pay approximately .06% of the price of my scoot as taxes in order to tag it. The following year was over $200.00. The tax goes down for each year of ownership, through depreciation over the years. My 39 Yr old Porsche 914 tax is about $26.00 a year. And antiques (25Yrs.) only have to pay an $8.00 fee to tag for the life of ownership. The last time I had full coverage on my car, full coverage was about $450.00 per year. We have mandatory Liability coverage, but full is preferential.
Their are currently no safety inspections on any vehicles in Arkansas, although their used to be. The yearly inspection fee in order to re-tag was $3.25.
Hope you feel better now. Lol
My $0.03

aka Bob

Old 03-25-2012, 04:15 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

License plate tag is good for two years and insurance is required. No inspections required.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:16 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Every state is different, we have a $10.50 yearly registration fee on bikes, and have to carry insurance. I pay $100 a year for insurance. No inspections or other fees here.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:21 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

.03% state sales tax of either vehicle purchase price or DMV appraisal at purchase
$25.00 per year for tag renewal
$12.00 safety inspection (brakes, tires, lights, etc.) every year
Annual personal property tax (again by DMV appraisal value)
Mandatory liability insurance (varies by region, driver and motorcycle type)

Crap, this stuff adds up! Don't get me started on toll roads, bridge crossing fees and gasoline tax....

Old 03-25-2012, 04:28 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Fees

Here in Tennessee we pay almost 10% in sales tax when you buy the bike and then insurance (mine is full coverage) runs me about 500 per year. The yearly license tag fee is about 45 if I remember correctly. It all adds up to a chunk of change by the time it's all done.
No state inspections.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Here in North Carolina I pay an annual tax on my vehicles based upon their current value. ( According to the state my '00 FLTRSEI is still worth $10,000 so my tax is about $90 this year.)

Then we have an annual safety inspection: $14, and annual tags $28

We're required to cover liabilty insurance, but I'm fully covered for $330 per year.

Then we pay about a 40 cent road tax for every gallon of gas we buy.

Ultimately not too different from you folks in the UK, I guess.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Road fund license does not exist in the UK, it is vehicle excise duty, there is no specific road fund, that is paid for out of general taxation of which vehicle excise duty is a small part. In the USA it varies state to state but the yearly fee paid is often as not based on the residual value of the vehicle so is usually higher than UK vehicle excise duty.

Quick Reply: comparing bike ownership in the world