General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Financing old bikes???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:18 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,520 Posts

If you are careful you can find shovels in the 6-7K range. Took me 18 months to find my 84. I saved the money so it was a cash deal.

Pans are getting a bit difficult to land a good deal on; even those that are chopped are increasingly having a higher price on them.

Best thing to do is if you find one and it is close, find someone who knows what you are looking at (in the event you do not) so that you can get a true understanding of what you might be purchasing. If it is not close see if a forum member has the time and knowledge to check it out for you.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:29 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by randayn
I will say it because it is expected, If you have to borrow money to buy a luxury, which a vintage motorcycle is, well you know what common sense should tell you.
Oh, I couldn't agree more. I was just trying to figure out where these sellers think the average Shovel enthusiast is gonna come up with the kind of cash they want, in this economy, without some bank assistance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-...item1c24912fd6

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...item3a7210d2db

Last edited by bikerlaw; 03-25-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:34 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,450 Likes on 2,040 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Oh, I couldn't agree more. I was just trying to figure out where these sellers think the average Shovel enthusiast is gonna come up with the kind of cash they want, in this economy, without some bank assistance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-...item1c24912fd6

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...item3a7210d2db
The sellers are not whacked out, but the people that can come up with that kind of money for the bikes don't need financing.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:59 PM
tripn88
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be difficult though some banks like mine, that will only cover 85% of the value of it, thats because of my credit. So Im not sure how they would find out the value because they probably arent on KBB or something lol.

Just checked it out the oldest they have is a 1960 FLH Duo Glide.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:18 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by perki48
but the people that can come up with that kind of money for the bikes don't need financing.
Ah-ha! Correct, but the pool of people that can come up with that kind of cash AND are looking for vintage Harley's has all but diminished. Which brings me back to the question. If all the big money RUB's who are essentially responsible for the skyrocket price jumps of the last decade are moving on to the next lifestyle trend, then how is average Joe going to buy these old bikes without financing? Or is he just not gonna? Its kind of a shame since it would be a far better thing that bikers wind up with these than collectors, investors and non-riding pansies who will just keep them covered up till their children divvy up their estates and sell them on ebay some years down the road. Just sayin'.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:49 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Back to the OP's question, I believe HD (EagleMark Savings Bank) will finance any Harley. Just depends on what you are willing to pay for the privilege.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:35 PM
randayn
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah-ha! Correct, but the pool of people that can come up with that kind of cash AND are looking for vintage Harley's has all but diminished. Which brings me back to the question. If all the big money RUB's who are essentially responsible for the skyrocket price jumps of the last decade are moving on to the next lifestyle trend, then how is average Joe going to buy these old bikes without financing? Or is he just not gonna? Its kind of a shame since it would be a far better thing that bikers wind up with these than collectors, investors and non-riding pansies who will just keep them covered up till their children divvy up their estates and sell them on ebay some years down the road. Just sayin'.

Just saying, if you cant come up with $5 or $ 10 k why are you looking at a vintage bike.

If you want to ride there are thousands of bikes for sale under $2,000.

If you need a 2nd mortgage to ride a Harley, perhaps consider a nice Honda.

Seems you have a dislike for people that can afford to pay cash. Supply and Demand rules the market.

Pansie Art collectors, all they do is look at the picture.

I have found that most people that use the term RUB are Neither Rich , Urban or a Biker. What is your excuse

Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by randayn
Just saying, if you cant come up with $5 or $ 10 k why are you looking at a vintage bike.

If you want to ride there are thousands of bikes for sale under $2,000.

If you need a 2nd mortgage to ride a Harley, perhaps consider a nice Honda.

Seems you have a dislike for people that can afford to pay cash. Supply and Demand rules the market.

Pansie Art collectors, all they do is look at the picture.

I have found that most people that use the term RUB are Neither Rich , Urban or a Biker. What is your excuse
Wow, I think we have a clear communication gap here. I don't want to buy an old bike. I'm not looking to buy an old bike. In fact I just recently sold a very cool old Shovel. I have been a practicing Attorney for over 15 years, and while not rich, I can certainly afford to buy any motorcycle I want. But any one who knows me or sees any of my posts, knows fairly well that I don't buy bikes, I either build them or start with a plain stocker and then customize them too my taste. I was simply asking a motorcycle related question on a motorcycle related forum. If the terms I used struck a nerve with you, then I apologize. That was never my intent. I just have a soft spot for old iron and am surprised in these economic times that they seem to be going up in value as fast as they are, making them tougher and tougher for "Bikers" to be able to get there hands on one. In my experience, "Bikers" are who traditionally seek out vintage motorcycles. But at todays prices, without financing options it seems as if they will be pushed out of the market in much the same way that hot rodders were pushed out when collectors and investors ruined the muscle car hobby.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
coltsfan
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
You may have to look around, but I'm guessing you can, just at a higher interest rate. Now prepare yourself for all of the people about to give you that "If I can't pay cash for something, I'm not buying it" ****!!!
Well I guess that I won't bother with my "if you can't pay cash for an old bike don't buy it" ****

Old 03-25-2012, 08:36 PM
coltsfan
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, I think we have a clear communication gap here. I don't want to buy an old bike. I'm not looking to buy an old bike. In fact I just recently sold a very cool old Shovel. I have been a practicing Attorney for over 15 years, and while not rich, I can certainly afford to buy any motorcycle I want. But any one who knows me or sees any of my posts, knows fairly well that I don't buy bikes, I either build them or start with a plain stocker and then customize them too my taste. I was simply asking a motorcycle related question on a motorcycle related forum. If the terms I used struck a nerve with you, then I apologize. That was never my intent. I just have a soft spot for old iron and am surprised in these economic times that they seem to be going up in value as fast as they are, making them tougher and tougher for "Bikers" to be able to get there hands on one. In my experience, "Bikers" are who traditionally seek out vintage motorcycles. But at todays prices, without financing options it seems as if they will be pushed out of the market in much the same way that hot rodders were pushed out when collectors and investors ruined the muscle car hobby.
You're a lawyer?

Alrighty then, I'll try and explain this.

Even shovels are beginning to be seen as collector items, even though shovels are still going really cheap. So everyday riders are indeed being pushed out of the market for some older models and financing something like that does not change that they are being pushed out of the market.

Quick Reply: Financing old bikes???