General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Floor Jack or Lift Table

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 01:05 PM
IMG2
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motorcycle Floor Jack or Lift Table

Being the new owner of an old Harley I've found I'm doing more and more of the wrenching. My question, do I need a lift table or will a m/c floor jack do the job. Are the bikes stable on the floor jacks? Do the floor jacks lift your bike high enough? Are the jacks in the way once your bike is raised? I've got a list of projects, but once they're done I'll probably use the jack 2-4 times a year.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:07 PM
DRWegener
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

J & S is the way to go. You Don' t need it but they are nice.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:33 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,128 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Girls can dance on a lift table when you throw parties...

Old 03-23-2012, 02:05 PM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 760 Likes on 279 Posts

There is no right answer.....

You will hear both suggested. I have a Handy Lift table which seems to be the standard at Harley dealerships, love it. I Also have an inexpensive jack as well, but hardly use it any more.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:08 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jacks will lift the bike perhaps 2-21/2 feet off the floor. With mine I roll around on a stool I use for brake jobs when doing most things. To do oil changes or get to anything under the bike you will be laying on the floor if you want to see what you are doing with plugs, etc. If you don't mind that get a jack. If not and you have room, get a table. Make sure you can lock the bike in place on it and be careful of the balance of the bike on the table. They have been known to tip over and put a bike on the ground. Probably catch hell for that, but I know a guy that did that. Worst part was that the front wheel was off and he had a helluv a time getting it back up. and no it wasn't me, don't have room for a lift table.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:20 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,068 Likes on 17,936 Posts

Originally Posted by IMG2
Being the new owner of an old Harley I've found I'm doing more and more of the wrenching. My question, do I need a lift table or will a m/c floor jack do the job. Are the bikes stable on the floor jacks? Do the floor jacks lift your bike high enough? Are the jacks in the way once your bike is raised? I've got a list of projects, but once they're done I'll probably use the jack 2-4 times a year.

Till your done get a cheap HF table lift then sell it after and since you live out in here earthquake land ignore all the J&S and pit bull fanboys ( overpriced bullshit ) and get the cheap HF lift and then pick up or make a dolly to put under the bike once it's up in the air . I had a bike on one during the 89 quake with no problems .

I can turn the bike a complete 360 while sitting a mechanics stool on that dolly and the bike is rock solid , zero wiggle even with the front end removed . One in the picture I made in 1 1/2hrs for about $40 for the casters . Hang in the rafters when no using it . I even use the light weight compact yellow alum. jack everyone is so afraid of in here . All it takes is common sense boys .

Old 03-23-2012, 05:17 PM
shoemaker
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Have the same HF jack for 5 yrs without issue.
Like others I use a shop stool to roll around on and let's me keep my beer and cleaning supplies (under the stool) close when I'm doing oil changes or cleaning.
The handle is removable and I've left the bikes on it and moved it all around my garage if I'm not done yet but need to make space.
For my needs a table might be too restrictive.

Attached Thumbnails Motorcycle Floor Jack or Lift Table-0123121131.jpg  
Old 03-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The J & S lift looks like a nice bit of kit.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

I have been using a J&S for five years now and have no problems servicing and sometimes cleaning my ride. Well worth the money I spent. Find some friends with each type and try it out to see what will work for you.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:22 PM
wuzfuz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Get both, I have a handy lift table and a mac jack and find myself using each for different tasks..
WUZFUZ

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Floor Jack or Lift Table