General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Floor Jack or Lift Table

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 06:24 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Figures my J&S Jack was money well spent ..

Old 03-23-2012, 07:22 PM
EW1959
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DRWegener
J & S is the way to go. You Don' t need it but they are nice.
I totally concur.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:38 PM
IMG2
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm begining to think that I might get a jack to start with and then see if I need a lift. I like the idea of borrowing a buddys jack to see if I like it.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Most standard stuff you don't need either for. Course I don't do my own tires. But oil changes and stuff I haven't needed it. YMMV.

I used the cheap yellow harbor freight jack it works fine.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:14 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A table lift is OK if you have the dedicated space. But a m/c jack is more versatile and easier to store. Mine is the Sears red jack w/ SCLonghair's mod.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Till your done get a cheap HF table lift then sell it after and since you live out in here earthquake land ignore all the J&S and pit bull fanboys ( overpriced bullshit ) and get the cheap HF lift and then pick up or make a dolly to put under the bike once it's up in the air . I had a bike on one during the 89 quake with no problems .

I can turn the bike a complete 360 while sitting a mechanics stool on that dolly and the bike is rock solid , zero wiggle even with the front end removed . One in the picture I made in 1 1/2hrs for about $40 for the casters . Hang in the rafters when no using it . I even use the light weight compact yellow alum. jack everyone is so afraid of in here . All it takes is common sense boys .

That looks more stable than the jacks I've seen; just wondering, how do you get it under the bike when it's on a jack? Wish I hadn't sold my welder, that would be a useful project, could lift the bike up with my hoist. That stand would be great for storage.

OP: I looked at a variety of jacks before I got one, and most of them had really crappy welds; the one I got is still a cheapy, but at least it's got nice solid welds. Has a better locking system than most of them, too. There's actually quite a variety out there, if you have local stores where you can look at them. And I don't care what they say about sturdy, I'll always tie the bike down before lifting, heard too many horror studies of bikes falling off the "sturdy" stand. I'd love a lift table, just don't have room.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:49 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Had both in my shop and by far like the table lift. A little more $$ and they use a little more room but for me life is good.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:26 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,068 Likes on 17,936 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
That looks more stable than the jacks I've seen; just wondering, how do you get it under the bike when it's on a jack? Wish I hadn't sold my welder, that would be a useful project, could lift the bike up with my hoist. That stand would be great for storage.

OP: I looked at a variety of jacks before I got one, and most of them had really crappy welds; the one I got is still a cheapy, but at least it's got nice solid welds. Has a better locking system than most of them, too. There's actually quite a variety out there, if you have local stores where you can look at them. And I don't care what they say about sturdy, I'll always tie the bike down before lifting, heard too many horror studies of bikes falling off the "sturdy" stand. I'd love a lift table, just don't have room.
It's 3 sided & open on one long side so once the bikes up on the jack just wheel it under , you can man handle the hell out of a bike no worries even without tie downs . I have a very small garage but a good bike shop with a HF table lift to , had that 9 yrs now with no problems . When things get busy and I have a few bikes in on dollies they go so you compact them off to one side or roll them out the side door very easy . Even the very over rated J&S & PitBull jacks get wobbly if you pull a front end don't care who says what they twist I've had them , doesn't happen with the dolly and it's much more compact to work around and under nothing to catch a shin on .

Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
...Even the very over rated J&S & PitBull jacks get wobbly if you pull a front end don't care who says what they twist I've had them , doesn't happen with the dolly and it's much more compact to work around and under nothing to catch a shin on .
I wondered about the premium jacks, if they'd be that much better; in pictures, they look like similar designs and materials to the cheapies, although probably a lot better welding, finish, and a few extra goodies. The Laren I have has a footpedal slanted about 20 degrees off level and swing out outstablilizing legs so flimsy I don't bother, but it works ok - you do have to get the bike balanced pretty well, and like you said, it twists, even taking off a wheel. A 4 point tiedown helps a lot with the twisting; I wouldn't trust it for an oil change without the tiedowns. But they're handy, and downright necessary for a Harley with no center stand. I should get another welder, miss that so much, and really like that dolly.

Centerstands do have their advantages - no twisting here, and this bike is about the same weight as my sportster (wish the sporty was as fast). Should sell it, don't think I rode it 10 times last year.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:23 AM
HighwayStar
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice dolley TwiZ. You should paint one to match your bike.

I like the jack, because of space, and I really only use it occasionally, mostly for detailing. I got a used Craftsman one from my buddy, for $50, just to see how I like it. Wouldn't ya know, my Dyna is one of the only bikes listed that it won't work for.

Sooo, I had to hot glue a strip of hardwood flooring to the "front" support member of the jack, with some rubber on top to prevent it from scratching the frame. I roll the bike up on 2 pieces of wood to provide more clearance, roll the jack under, and jack it up with my foot. It all works great, for my needs. The bike is very stable and level. I can roll it around, or lock it down.

Josh

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Floor Jack or Lift Table