General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy needs opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005 | 08:41 PM
policepop
|
Advanced
Default New guy needs opinions

I'm new to this forum and would like to gather as much information as I can about HD. I've been on and off bikes from the 60's ( I'm obviously not a young guy anymore ). My interest is in researching both HD and Victory as I'm wanting to try something other than metric, but especially with HD I'm more than a little confused with the great number of models available.
I'm especially confused with the difference between the dyna and soft-tail models, and need to get a general idea of their strong points/weaknesses. My riding is mostly in town, but I also love to take roadtrips out of Town to get away. My last bike, an 1100 twin, had a bunch of go, but rev's tended to wear me down on the highway. I'm not a large person, and don't want a heavy monster, but I want to be able to travel in some comfort with a passenger without being worn out at mid-day. I love the traditional look of the HD's, but I'm not sure what model's to focus on. Do you guys have any opinions you'd like to share?

Old 07-27-2005 | 11:12 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Default RE: New guy needs opinions

Policepop,

Welcome to the forum. The big differences between the softails and Dynas are the frame and engines, you know everything!
The Softails have their rear suspention mounted under the motorcycle so the rear looks like a vintage Harley hardtail. The engine is mounted directly onto the frame and the twin cam 88 "B" engine manages vibration with balance shafts.
The dynas are traditional rear swingarm/two rear shock type frame and they manage the vibration with rubber engine mounts.
Both are great motorcycles but different. The Dynas rear suspention is easier to adjust for a load and new this year they come with a six speed transmission.
The Softails have the "look" there's no getting around how good these models look. You would do well with either the dyna or softail, I would prefer the dyna for it's funtionality.

DC

Old 07-27-2005 | 11:40 PM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member

as long as your lookin for opinions.....harleys are cool, victorys suck....sorry thats just me!

Old 07-27-2005 | 11:47 PM
bobg1253
Road Captain

Ok policepop...welcome to the forum. Here is my opinion. I am only familiar with the one and only HD I have owned...thaat being my 2004 Super Glide. I bought it as my re-entry to motorcycles after a 17 year layoff (you know....job, kids, etc.). Previous bikes were Honda & Suzuki. I always wanted a Harley and I figured if I was getting back on a bike I was going to do it right. After my own research and shopping around I settled on the Super Glide. It is the most inexpensive big-twin Harley you can buy if price makes a difference. That means everything except the Sportsters. It's a very basic bike so you get a clean slate to personalize it to your own taste. It's the same engine used in the touring bikes without the weight so the performance is quite good. Many consider the Dyna's the better handling bikes but since we are talking about cruising bikes and not hard core sport bikes I doubt if the difference is that significant. I just know that I love the way my Super Glide handles and performs.

Good luck in your research and once you find the right one for you....enjoy the ride and come tell us about it.

Old 07-27-2005 | 11:49 PM
bobg1253
Road Captain

Oh yeah....one more thing. Since you are also looking at Victory. We all know that Harley has the coolest t-shirts....lol!

Old 07-27-2005 | 11:53 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

The dyna will give you a better ride and better handeling, looks alone the softail may be a better looking machine , but the dynas would be a better ride. Had them both.

Welcome to the forum from NY

Old 07-28-2005 | 01:41 AM
Pat
Road Master

I bought a used softail because the price was right and the purchase deal could not be beat. I have road tested some of the othe models and I concurr that the super glides are nice riding and good handling bikes. You can make one into anything you want- super cool boulevard cruiser - light touring- even all out performance machine. Had I the money or opportunity to get another bike I likely would tend to an FXDS (last year this year I understand). The other half would likely want me to get into a Road King as she sees herself sitting pretty in a sidecar. Heck, she was ogling some of the trikes at the dealer last time we were there. Bottom line - there is none. Hang around here and learn lots, and as has been said many times -- "rent" then buy.

Pat

Old 07-28-2005 | 02:00 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Hank,

First, Welcome to the forum. You gotta be in Law Enforcement with a handle like that. I've been a Deputy Sheriff for 24 years and have been a Sergeant since 1987.

If you want the traditional look with a low slung easy to handle bike I'd probably get the Softail or Softail Heritage. Good balance and old style looks. The Dyna's do handle better but have a more modern look. Sounds like the kinda riding you like to do would be great on a Softail.

Terry

Old 07-28-2005 | 12:21 PM
Xchief
Advanced

A Victory................blasphemy!!!!

Old 07-28-2005 | 01:16 PM
chunks
Road Captain

Two Words

"Fat Boy"