General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About HD oil but technically not an oil thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012 | 04:36 PM
richmac64
|
Tourer
Default About HD oil but technically not an oil thread

I'm in the U.K. right now and I've been looking at alternative oil and primary fluid choices due to the cost of HD oil here. If you think it's expensive in the states you should try it here, add 60% to the cost of the oil you buy and you're right there.

I've been trying to figure out if any of the pro-motorcyclist groups have ever tried to force HD to give alternative choices to their oils. According to the law, they can't require owners to use only HD oil but they don't give alternatives. In fact, they say specifically in my manual to use only Formula+ in the primary. How can this be legal? There are so many oil threads and thoughts as to what to use sometimes it seems almost useless information (if that makes sense). Anybody have any ideas how to get something started against HD? How does HD get away with keeping their customers in the dark about their oil and basically use "scare" tactics on owners so they will buy HD oil because they don't know what else to use.

Rant over......

Old 03-22-2012 | 04:52 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Your Owners Manual should contain a lubrication list of the acceptable viscosities and API Categories for oils recommended for your bike. All you have to be able to do it read the labels on the oil container for a match.

Other than that, there's an entire section here on the forum about oil.

Old 03-22-2012 | 04:57 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

I have an 1984 EVO that has never had anything in it but 20/50 car oil...never been rebuilt, doesn't smoke or use oil. Don't let the scare tactics fool you...you can find local oil that is just fine.

Old 03-22-2012 | 05:10 PM
the blob
Road Warrior

Me too 20/50 castrol car oil in my bikes.

Old 03-22-2012 | 05:10 PM
CopperHD
Advanced

I use and have not seen any issues as of yet. Then again you can probably get away with Mobil One 20w50 in all three or any other good high quality 20w50. Everyone is different in the way they do their fluids just keep researching and find what you feel is the best.

My Setup

Mobil One 20w50 in the engine
Mobil One 75w90 Gear oil in the transmission
Mobil One 4t 10w40 Racing in the primary

Old 03-22-2012 | 05:11 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member

you can use almost any oil in the primary , I know guys that run Auto transmission fluid in the primary ,and have for a long long time.

Old 03-22-2012 | 05:33 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member

For your Primary you can use Auto trans fluid !!!

Old 03-22-2012 | 06:31 PM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member

If you are saying the dealer refuses to use anything but HD oil when they do the service, I don't think there is much you can do about it.

If you can find an independent shop or do it yourself, there are lots of good oils to choose from.

Old 03-22-2012 | 06:40 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member

Ignore the propaganda! You can use standard petroleum oil in your primary with no issues. Some Aftermarket Clutch companies suggest using off the shelf oil and not using synthetic or any other over-rated lubricants!!

Originally Posted by richmac64
I'm in the U.K. right now and I've been looking at alternative oil and primary fluid choices due to the cost of HD oil here. If you think it's expensive in the states you should try it here, add 60% to the cost of the oil you buy and you're right there.

I've been trying to figure out if any of the pro-motorcyclist groups have ever tried to force HD to give alternative choices to their oils. According to the law, they can't require owners to use only HD oil but they don't give alternatives. In fact, they say specifically in my manual to use only Formula+ in the primary. How can this be legal? There are so many oil threads and thoughts as to what to use sometimes it seems almost useless information (if that makes sense). Anybody have any ideas how to get something started against HD? How does HD get away with keeping their customers in the dark about their oil and basically use "scare" tactics on owners so they will buy HD oil because they don't know what else to use.

Rant over......

Old 03-22-2012 | 06:41 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member

Its your bike use what you want....why do you need a blessing from HD?

Quick Reply: About HD oil but technically not an oil thread