General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rethinking Micro Fiber Towels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Rethinking Micro Fiber Towels?

I have been trying to purchase some new Zaino yellow micro fiber towels for some time and they continue to be listed as out of stock. So I started to try to google them to see if I could find another source. In doing so I'm finding a bunch of new threads saying that microfiber towels scratch? What??/I was always told to use them to avoid scratching in lieu of the old cotton diapers I use to use. Its interesting because I noticed some fine scratches in a few new chrome parts after waxing to remove finger prints following installation. The threads I started reading all are coming from mostly car enthusists and some painters that said to test a microfiber use it on a unused blank CD or if you have been using them, to look at the car under halogens or a series of day light Fluorescents and you will likely see micro scratching, particularly on dark colors and lo and behold, chrome. I had thought I might have picked up a little grit in one of mine after finding out my wife washed the one I was using with my boys pants. Boys and dirt you know. Anybody else know anything about this? One final note mentioned for the recommendation against micro fibers now seems to be that they are mostly all manufactured in Asian countries and quality varies from batch to batch? Thoughts?

Old 03-22-2012, 02:12 PM
TimmH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used them on my Mustang for years with no problems. Of course I wash them regularly (by themselves, no other materials) and air dry them. I also replace them about once a year.

They do collect dirt, leaves, sticks, etc, so you need to check them over before use, and don't let them get too dirty before cleaning or replacing.

Also, beware some of the cheaper ones like from Walmart and such often use a different material for the edging which could cause issues, although I always fold them so the edge isn't getting any pressure when apply or buffing.

As far as the fine scratches and swirls, it's hard to avoid over time as even just washing, fine particles get trapped under whatever your using to wipe with, particalularly here in Florida where sand is blowing around almost always.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:18 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

I use dry micro fiber to "polish" after I clean, wax & dry. Whether it's on the bike or in the house, chrome, paint, ceramic, etc. just seem to sparkle more. Cloth diapers work well too and probably less chance of scratching.

Either way, I'm not too worried about scratching/swirling. I'm not riding a show bike. If ya' ride it, it's gonna get scratched...

Old 03-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always had good luck with microfiber towels. I use the ones from Wal-Mart with no issues. Also have some Armor-All ones, but don't like them as well actually.

I never actually wash my bikes...I completely soak several micro-fiber towels, ring them half out, and wipe the bike down using the wet micro-fiber towels. When waxing, I do the same thing with the wax-on towel. If my bike is just dusty...same thing. Only time I EVER use one dry is for wax off & I always use a brand new one for that.

The key is...wet them and wring them out...don't use them dry.
I've examined my bikes (&vehicles) with a flourescent light after using this method & I've never made even a slight micro-scratch doing this.

Only bad thing I will say about them is they pick up EVERYTHING...be careful where you lay them down or store them. I store mine in a small plastic tote sealed up.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:52 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Costco sell a jillion of them for 20 bucks...

Old 03-22-2012, 02:59 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

???? I can't continue to use Pampers???

Old 03-22-2012, 03:23 PM
carrmat
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
???? I can't continue to use Pampers???

Yes, of course, but as the other poster said just make sure they're "wet" and not "dirty"