General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What's Your Favorite Group Riding Size?
Solo
35.71%
2-4
48.70%
5-10
12.34%
10 or more
3.25%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Group Riding Poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012 | 09:53 AM
junior07
Road Master

I have a close group of friends that i ride with. there are about 8 of us who ride regularly. most fo the time it will be 4-6 riders in the group at any one ride. If you know the people around you and their skill levels, there is nothing wrong with riding in a group of about 8 riders.

Old 03-22-2012 | 09:56 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

2-4 is about my limit. I went on one big group ride years ago. It was a Hog event thing. Talk about a lame *** ride. Slowing and stopping all the time and when you did stop for a break seems like there is always some one who you never even met before wants to be your best pal and tell you his entire life freaking story.

Old 03-22-2012 | 10:00 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member

I should qualify my vote of 5-10 (or more) with Everyone in the group are people I trust to ride with in any situation.

Old 03-22-2012 | 10:04 AM
AZRenegade
Tourer

I'm with Misbehavin on this one. I ride to relax not make pointless conversation with strangers. I prefer solo on local runs but prefer a group of 2 to 4 friends when going on extended interstate rides.

Last edited by AZRenegade; 03-22-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-22-2012 | 10:06 AM
AZRenegade
Tourer

double post.

Last edited by AZRenegade; 03-22-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-22-2012 | 12:06 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

I do most of my riding solo (commuting, running errands or just relaxing).

Sometimes 2 is 1 is too many on the ride. Get more than 4 or 5 in the group and odds are one of them will be that guy.

Old 03-22-2012 | 01:20 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

My GF and I ride together. We may have another rider or two with us sometimes. Once in a great while we may join a larger group for a charity ride or the like, but most times just the two of us. Her on her's and me on mine.

Old 03-22-2012 | 02:09 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Everytime I ride in a group it's painful as hell. People can't agree on anything, especially when to stop. For example I don't think it's unreasonable to show up in the morning with a full tank for the days ride. But no, stop at the first gas station so some people can fill up. But some people don't like their gas so you have to stop again at a different station for them. Then there are some people in the group that feel a half a tank is enough so they don't fill up, so you have to stop again an hour later so they can fillup. Then another half hour so their wife can fill up. Then it's time for a pee, then a break, then a snack, then lunch. Then half the group just decides they would rather go the other way. So you've been waiting for these people all day at all their stops then they just bugger off on you anyway. It's not worth it for me.

I totally like riding with my wife, and maybe one other like minded biker. I'm finished with the poser runs.

Old 03-22-2012 | 02:30 PM
tbills66
Cruiser

Originally Posted by zeus33
Everytime I ride in a group it's painful as hell. People can't agree on anything, especially when to stop. For example I don't think it's unreasonable to show up in the morning with a full tank for the days ride. But no, stop at the first gas station so some people can fill up. But some people don't like their gas so you have to stop again at a different station for them. Then there are some people in the group that feel a half a tank is enough so they don't fill up, so you have to stop again an hour later so they can fillup. Then another half hour so their wife can fill up. Then it's time for a pee, then a break, then a snack, then lunch. Then half the group just decides they would rather go the other way. So you've been waiting for these people all day at all their stops then they just bugger off on you anyway. It's not worth it for me.

I totally like riding with my wife, and maybe one other like minded biker. I'm finished with the poser runs.
I totally agree. This can happen with a group that does not mesh well. We have pretty much weeded those out and have group that is ready to ride and that is what we are gonna do. I like doing the 2-4 just riding around, but if I'm gonna ride a longer distance, I like others going along. I usually follow the same rider in the group no matter where we end up because I know his riding style and our style's match. Most of the slower riders in our group automatically go to the rear.

Old 03-22-2012 | 02:48 PM
HaydenHeywoodHayes
Club Member

I've ridden for charity with 200-300 bikes (Cherokee Trail of Tears Remembrance Ride) and enjoyed it, and a couple times with a couple guys in the neighborhood and enjoyed it, but honestly I'm a loner by personality, enjoy my own "mental" company, and am at peace with the world when riding by myself. I don't even listen to music usually, just my thoughts...

Quick Reply: Group Riding Poll