General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't dealerships do Scavenger oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
Wow you need some stress management...Take a ride and chill...have a great day.
Wow, don't address any of the points I made, just tell me I need stress management.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:06 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,410 Likes on 5,011 Posts

Originally Posted by Mal74
I challenge you naysayers to do this:

When changing the oil in your cage, pour a quart of the dirty used oil back into your motor before you pour the fresh oil in.

After all, it's just a little bit, and you'll save some money!!
Not the same thing, as most of the oil comes out of the pan when you pull the plug. Would you crank the car engine to expel the oil out of the internal parts of the engine,no, because it is unnecessary.

The manufacturer has tested the engine and determined the correct oil change interval, without using the unnecessary scavenger gizmo.

If you think your oil is contaminated, have an oil sample analyzed, you will find the oil is good, probably long past the 5K interval, even using cheap wal mart oil.

Seems to me that most people that go nuts over products like this, and go nuts over oil have little experience inside an engine other than changing oil.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:30 AM
petom
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,061 Likes on 535 Posts

It's at least as beneficial as filling your tires with nitrogen.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:48 AM
hoofnhog
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
IMO the filter you use makes a lot bigger difference than the oil.
AMEN brother! It's the filter, the filter, the filter!!! This "scavenger" thing isn't a terrible idea , IMO, from the standpoint of getting all the oil out at your change interval that you can is a good thing, but is it significantly beneficial? If you are changing your oil on a short schedule, ( I don't let mine go beyond 2000 miles), use a good synthetic and a GREAT filter, there is probably no appreciable benefit to this scavenger, other then someone gaining financially. The company that markets them certainly provides no evidence or research that demonstrates either a performance or longevity benefit. They want you to take their "word" that it is the way it is...... hmmmmmm...sound like a MoCo we all know???

Old 03-24-2012, 09:23 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dixie Dreg
My primary oil stays pretty clean, so does the transmission oil. I don't see what the big controversy is about. If you think that HD is the word of God concerning oil changes then leave the dirty oil in, I do not care, it isn't my bike. But why don't you not do a Stage 1? HD made your bike with an air cleaner that doesn't introduce enough air into the engine, so just leave it alone. And don't monkey about with the software on the EFI bikes, leave it at the factory setting, after all , that is the way the all- mighty HD MOCO made it, so don't try to improve it, don't fu(k with it , you can't improve it so leave it the hell alone. Don't change your seat, bars, mirrors, pipes, paint or anything else, just don't fu(k with it, it is perfect the way it came from the factory. HD is just an assembler people, we start doing things right away that don't have the blessing of the all knowing HD MOCO, but some draw the line at improving the way they change the oil. If you actually think that leaving a quart of nasty oil in your bike is a good idea then by all means do it! Hell, if that makes sense to you then don't change it at all, just leave it the fu(k alone like you do all the rest of the stuff since there is no possible way to improve on anything HD does. As for me I will do things the way I want to do them and anyone who doesn't like it is free to not do it. I don't give a green godddamn what you do. But don't tell me the way I do things is wrong, unnecessary , stupid or anything else, I don't care what you think any more than you care what I think.
dude , seriously ...your gonna have a stroke over a bit of oil ?? ( much less than a quart at least in my bike anyway )

Old 03-24-2012, 10:27 AM
wb0zrd
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I used one of these on my Heritage, I won't argue if it was really necessary or really did any real good but I felt good about getting almost a whole quart of old oil out of the engine that wouldn't other wise have been gone. With the Heritage you did the oil change first, then pulled the return hose and let the old oil pump itself out. I traded the Heritage off and now own an EG, with this engine scheme you drop the oil out, hook up a hose to new quart of oil, start the engine and hope it sucks this oil in while what is left in the engine is draining out the bottom. Scavengers web site has a video that shows this process. I'll tell you I am really nervous about starting up my engine without any oil in it and hoping that it works the way they say it will. I was pretty happy with using the scavenger process on my Heritage, but I think I'll pass on my new bike. I use good oil and change it every 4000 miles or so, so I'm not really worried. For those that chose to do this, good for you it cannot hurt to get that old oil out of there!

Cheers,
Paul in Colorado

Old 03-24-2012, 10:29 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

This thread is still going on....strange.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:31 AM
wb0zrd
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
This thread is still going on....strange.
Why is it strange? It just started a couple days ago.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:46 AM
AZRenegade
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

The strangest part is all these "men" getting all emotional and hostile over a damn tool!

Last edited by AZRenegade; 03-24-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:53 AM
LucyOnBlack
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

change the oil myself.... it's a secret operation I'm not sharing cause I'm sensitive......

and I drink my beer with a straw geezer, no worries here

Quick Reply: Why don't dealerships do Scavenger oil changes