General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't dealerships do Scavenger oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:39 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

I guess knewt5 stumbled into the scavenger tent and had a sales guy put the hard sell on him. They try and make you feel guilty if your not taking what they consider, the best care of your motor that you could be by "using their product". It's like the old saying some lures are designed to catch fish, the others are designed to catch fishermen.,,

Old 03-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Z06John
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drain your oil and drop your filter and wait for it to drain out, then simply crank your engine (dont start it) for a quick blip / a quarter of a second or so. You will see close to a half quart of dirty oil come out.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:25 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Seriously? If you guys think what little oil is left is that OMG dirty then I have 2 suggestions for you
1. You are not changing your oil soon enough
2. Your oil filter sucks.

Otherwise just change your oil and don't waste a whole quart rinsing 4-6 oz of old oil out of the pan, jeez.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:56 PM
jaybull
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unreal.....? I love the scavenger. I would never leave old oil in my engine. Not in my pick up, Quad, dirtbike, Or any other engine i own. If there is a way to get it all out. Why wouldn't you? Cuz your lazy? lol The Op wasn't asking if anyone liked the product. F-ing guys on here can't wait to disagree or whine or bitch about anything. Like a bunch of hens. lol I think HD don't do it cuz they could care less if your oil is clean. Thats why you should do it yourself.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:09 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if HD moco thought it was necessary they would make a kit themselves and sell it or include it with the bike, or recommend that their dealers use it. i'm not that picky about my motor to see paying for one. anyone ever do a study to see which motor would last longer? any documented evidence to prove this thing is worth a damn?

Last edited by jo_mama; 03-22-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:53 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Personally, I think everyone should fill the Engine Crankcase, Oil Lines and the Oil Bag with Nitrogen before replacing the Oil!

Old 03-23-2012, 06:30 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by stokes
No your not.At least read up on how its done before you make an assumption.I do use the scavenger.I get close to a quart of dirty,used oil out that would be left in without the scavenger.Thats almost a third of my 3 quart system.If I took my car for an oil change and they told me they only change 66% of my oil I would leave.I dont understand how anybody could not see a benefit in using the scavenger.But like they say,its your engine,do what you think is best.
OK I guess you got me there...So can some one explain the real benefits...How much longer will my engine last from this practice?... Will I see an increase in my miles per gallon?...Will my engine run cooler?...Can I extend the miles I go between oil changes?...I think not...The real benefits go to the oil companies...To the guy that charges you to perform this miracle oil change on your engine...No matter what you do there will always be a little of the old oil in your engine.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:34 AM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
So after you get all of the oil out of the engine...You are basically cranking a dry engine on the first start up after removing all of the oil from the crankcase...I think I will stick with the way I have been doing it.
That is correct. As a matter of fact I crank my dry engine and ride about 8 miles to the store to buy cigarettes . Sometimes I don't put oil in it for two or three weeks because it makes some really cool noises running it dry like that.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:42 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

At first I thought you put a hamster in with a hardhat light and threw them in the engine to get all the oil out.

After doing some research, I realized what you were talking about.

Wouldn't you have to replace the oil that is in the Scavenger? The same way you put some oil in the oil filter. That way it doesn't run completely dry?

Old 03-23-2012, 06:50 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Dixie Dreg
That is correct. As a matter of fact I crank my dry engine and ride about 8 miles to the store to buy cigarettes . Sometimes I don't put oil in it for two or three weeks because it makes some really cool noises running it dry like that.
I'm impressed ....Ride on.

Quick Reply: Why don't dealerships do Scavenger oil changes