General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't dealerships do Scavenger oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 04:44 PM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
Heck it starts getting contaminated as soon as you start the bike and ride away. I also don't believe a half quart of used oil makes any difference.

In a touring bike it is a full quart of oil that is in the system after you drain the pan...that's 20% of your oil capacity!

Old 03-22-2012, 04:56 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

So 80% of the oil is clean, and will get mixed in with the 20% not drained, and the filter is doing it's job, and only 10 billion bikes have had their oil drained the standard way, whats the point of playing around with the scavenger thing again?

Old 03-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
So 80% of the oil is clean, and will get mixed in with the 20% not drained, and the filter is doing it's job, and only 10 billion bikes have had their oil drained the standard way, whats the point of playing around with the scavenger thing again?
You are right, there is no point, none at all.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:02 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by knewt5
In a touring bike it is a full quart of oil that is in the system after you drain the pan...that's 20% of your oil capacity!
Just where is that extra quart of oil at,when I change my oil I get just about 3.8 qt out the pan then some out the filter,so wheres that qt you're talking about?

BTW Touring Bikes have 4qt oil capacity stock without oil cooler !

Old 03-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Harlie Rider
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by knewt5
I just did my first Scavenger oil change and I was wondering why dealerships don't offer this for the extra charge of another quart of oil.

I don't know if scavenging makes a difference or not and am not looking for that discussion in this thread...just seems like a good idea to me.
You can be **** about anything. If your oil filter is of good quality and you
use a quality oil, change the oil when you should, what is the point?
Is no different than someone telling you that Amsoil is better than Mobil1, which
is not as good as Syn3 and .................

Old 03-22-2012, 08:20 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

So after you get all of the oil out of the engine...You are basically cranking a dry engine on the first start up after removing all of the oil from the crankcase...I think I will stick with the way I have been doing it.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:36 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know, you should ask a dealer.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I challenge you naysayers to do this:

When changing the oil in your cage, pour a quart of the dirty used oil back into your motor before you pour the fresh oil in.

After all, it's just a little bit, and you'll save some money!!

Old 03-22-2012, 09:28 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Quote: "In a touring bike it is a full quart of oil that is in the system after you drain the pan...that's 20% of your oil capacity!"

How does one explain that when I do the Oil Change on my 10 Ultra there is 3.5 quarts of waste oil in my container and after putting 3.5 quarts of fresh oil in and riding until it is hot, the dip stick is right at the full mark? That has happened for the 5,10, 15 and 20K changes.

If a quart was left it would be almost 29% not 20. I can see 2 to 3 ounces at the most. But a quart. Come on.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:34 PM
stokes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
So after you get all of the oil out of the engine...You are basically cranking a dry engine on the first start up after removing all of the oil from the crankcase...I think I will stick with the way I have been doing it.
No your not.At least read up on how its done before you make an assumption.I do use the scavenger.I get close to a quart of dirty,used oil out that would be left in without the scavenger.Thats almost a third of my 3 quart system.If I took my car for an oil change and they told me they only change 66% of my oil I would leave.I dont understand how anybody could not see a benefit in using the scavenger.But like they say,its your engine,do what you think is best.

Quick Reply: Why don't dealerships do Scavenger oil changes