General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't dealerships do Scavenger oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 382 Likes on 321 Posts

CORS product looks like the bang for the buck tool if one is inclined to do this type of oil change.

Doesn't seem like the engine would run dry at any time using this tool and it does seems that it would flush old oil from any oil coolers.

Tool Price $20. divided over number of oil changes you will do.
Extra one quart of oil in addition to oil filter and regular number of quarts.
For a DIYer this would be less than a dealers oil change fee.

I might do it if I ever run across a CORS on a store shelf somewhere.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:38 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I rebuilt my engine last year and I know for a fact there was no where near a quart of oil left in the system. And I trust my engine builder, a Bonneville Salt Flats record holder, to guide me. He doesn't like synthetic oil at all for Harley's, a semi synthetic at most. Never did a scavenger system come up.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:46 AM
Grantman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_mama
if HD moco thought it was necessary they would make a kit themselves and sell it or include it with the bike, or recommend that their dealers use it. i'm not that picky about my motor to see paying for one. anyone ever do a study to see which motor would last longer? any documented evidence to prove this thing is worth a damn?

Maybe they want you to wear it out faster so you'll buy another. They don't even sell parts for mine. Just for ***** and giggles I like to ask new guys at the parts counter what oil I need for the clutch on my 68 XLH (Dry Clutch). The shop here is too new and they don't have info on anything they haven't sold.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:54 AM
Grantman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dixie Dreg
You mean like they are all over the cam chain tensioners?
Once again the MoCo don't deal with that problem because the fix is so much cheaper than the money they make with out these so called "miracle cures" There are many different items that will make ANY HD better than when it came from the factory. They don't sell it because they didn't think of it first so they don't have the patent. Therefore "It's not necessary", when what they really want to say is "give us all your money. Just because this $1500.00 repair wouldn't have been necessary if you would have used a $10.00 part we don't have a patent on. It's no good for us they get the money and we get shorted on labor and parts." Maybe that's why I got so far away from MoCo stuff, after the buy back from AMF the company seemed to just go for the cash and f**k the customers.

Last edited by Grantman; 09-07-2012 at 04:56 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-07-2012, 06:52 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

If you need a scavenger tool to drain all the oil maybe the basic design of the engine oil drain is at fault.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:25 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,171 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Scavenger system must have been thought up by some over-seas foreign oil company....to hook suckers into purchasing more oil. Yes yes yes! Make American dependent on MORE oil consumption..thus importing!

Lets do some quick figures in our head that even a 3rd grader could follow.

"How many cars and trucks in the US?"
"How many motorcycles in the US?"

Add them all up. Now..how much oil would be used by ALL OF THEM doing a NORMAL oil change? Lets all the answer to this question "Answer A".

OK...OK..here comes the tricky part for some.....lets do a "scavenger oil change" on all of them. How much oil was used now? Lets call the answer to this question "Answer B". It should be about a 25-30% larger number than Answer A.

Subtract Answer A from Answer B. Here's a good sized number..and you just promoted America using that much more oil! Good job!

To me? This is some product that caters to the super **** retentive market.

I have always been lax in my oil changes. In all my cars 'n trucks. I started out with lower revving motors...got used to 7,500 mile changes...and stuck with that for my entire life. Even though I owned lots of vehicles that recommended 3,500 or 3,000 mile oil changes. Hell on my Jeeps I know I've gone near 10,000 miles or over before I changed it.

I sold or traded in my old vehicles with high miles on them..and VERY hard driven miles. Condition of the engine was fine. My lax oil changes never caused some pre-mature engine failure or even some blue smoker.

Bike gets oil changed before the winter season. Period. Runs fine. Yes gets over 5k a year in miles.

Point is...oil is fine even if it's a bit dark. It's the larger particles that cause damage..the filter catches the bad stuff. The acids from old oil sitting there in long term storage do that rest (which is why it's best to change BEFORE storage).

If leaving 25-33% (personally I think that number is WAAAY overhyped) of used oil behind causes you to loose sleep at night....what the hell, if you go ride down the street to pickup a pack of smokes and ride back....****..you just used your oil a little bit, why not change it again? After all..now there's used oil in there since you just rode 3 miles? Quick..go change it! It's dirty!

Old 09-08-2012, 08:52 AM
gregmay
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Use your do dad then pull the cam cover off and see if the oil left in the cam chest is clean, bet it's not