General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you know what a fair price is when buying new

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 10:40 AM
efdbrian
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jb13
If i'm not mistaken ALL Harley dealers are required by Harley Davidson to charge the MSRP.
Add-ons, delivery costs ect. are all negotiable and thats where there will be variations in price.
I'm not sure about this one. I went in about a year ago to purchase a new FXDC. I took a look at a couple dealerships and then went online. I knew exactly the list of add-ons that I wanted, so I started emailing all the local dealers. I am fortunate enough to have about half a dozen dealers all within about 45 minutes. I gave them all the exact same list (I even included the part numbers so that they could see that I was serious and took the time to research) and let them know up front that I was going to be asking them all for the exact same quote. I ended up getting my FXDC with all the accessories for just about the same price as the MSRP. When I finally went back to the dealer (which happened to be the closest one) he threw in the alarm system if I would put money down on the bike that day.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:47 AM
2011HDFATBOYLO?
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

If i'm not mistaken ALL Harley dealers are required by Harley Davidson to charge the MSRP.
Add-ons, delivery costs ect. are all negotiable and thats where there will be variations in price.

Not true-- Last summer I purchased a new 2011 Fatboy lo. Sale price was 14,500, which is well below MSRP.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:54 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PghCycle24
This makes good sense. It's far too easy to add on things during the deal and make it a "nice neat package" which drive up the cost the new bike well beyond what you wanted or needed. Besides, what looks good in the showroom or catalog isn't necessatily what will work or you will like in the end. Piper59 is right, you end paying for it for the next 5 years.

Here's what worked best for me (after doing it the other way afew times!): Keep it simple! Buy the bike as a stand alone unit. You're better off keeping it stock initially anyways, riding it a while and breaking it in, getting to know it. Taking your time to decide what, if any, upgrades it might need. A lot of the stuff sold at an HD shop is grossly overpriced anyways, and you'll do better researching your upgrades here before pulling the trigger on them.

An uncomplicated deal leaves the dealer less room to f--k with you.-and they will, given half a chance. My position when buying a vehicle is "What is the selling price of the vehicle?" Period. I DO NOT CARE what the monthly payments are. That is my problem/concern. I already know what the available interest rates are, so after we agree on a selling price, I'll "let" you try to beat the interset rate I've already locked in at my bank or credit union. If you want an extended warranty (not always a bad deal, depending on your needs), then negotiate that too, separate from the sales price of the vehicle.

Don't fall for "tires for life" (ALWAYS a hidden catch) or other dealer gimmicks. Don't bother with the "maintenence package" they offer. You'll probably want to swtch over to a quality synthetic like Redline at 5000 miles anyways, so why spend extra $$? A dealer will always try to throw a bunch of stuff at you, do the "razzle dazzle" to get you to sign on the deal. STAY FOCUSED.

Use the KISS principle in your negotiations. Be prepared to walk. Be polite but firm. You're the guy with the $$. They need you, you don't need them, and there are more than one dealer in your region.

Check out mtbottle's post too. Use this forum as you are now. Lots of experience here. Good luck. RIde safe!
Very good but I believe only get F'D if you let someonbe F--k you. Keep it simple clean bike with no add-ons and work just the net cost, as mention you already have the financing so you monthly payment make no difference.

If you want add-on buy on the board here sonner or later what you want will show.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:13 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default That's Easy!

Shop around
Compare apples to apples
If you find something that interests you THAT'S FAIR!

Old 03-22-2012, 04:26 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

For me its when we've reached a price that I am ready to write the check to pay for it.

the last time was in 07 when I bought the Heritage.

sticker was $18.9, got it for $18. with $500 free parts and lifetime 15 % off all part. Wrote the check, Cash deal. done.

Last edited by oct1949; 03-22-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:33 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not true. I've been to several different HD dealers in the same day, seen the exact same Ultra Classic, same equipment, different dealer "sticker prices". I have an aquiantence through my motor unit, left the dealership where we get our bikes. he confided that there is a markup, same as in cars. HD want the public to think what you posted, helps the dealers keep their numbers high.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:49 PM
HDTide
Tourer

Originally Posted by PghCycle24
I have an aquiantence through my motor unit, left the dealership where we get our bikes. he confided that there is a markup, same as in cars.
You mean dealerships don't sell at invoice? Bastards.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:41 PM
whiskyls1
Tourer

A fair deal is purchasing whatever it is you want at the best price.....on the day you buy it!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:02 PM
09heritagerider
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought mine for under MSRP, but the economy was in the can at the time and it was a year-end closeout.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:16 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Walk in with cash in hand ($14K) and avoid the lengthy discussions with various sales types that talk you into financing/extended warranties/bells and whistles...Walk out after 8-minutes if the staff surrounds you.

Quick Reply: how do you know what a fair price is when buying new