General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just some thoughts on HD future

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006 | 05:40 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Just some thoughts on HD future

I disagree...
First off, the world will be a better place once that ultimate moron and village idiotis out of office.

The Harley engine we all know and love is extremely archaic, and that's what makes it so successful. There are a lot of options to reducing emissions other than just turning the gas screw tighter.
One would be a split shot fuelinjector. Another would be a more evolved combustion chamber and a 4 valve head which burns more efficently than the current archaic combustion chamber.
The options are endless. It all comes down to when the MoCo will have to choose it's path. One being a highly efficient, more expensive, evolved and beloved air cooled 45 degree engine, or the lifeless, soul-less watercooled Honda, I mean Revo engine.
Right now, the MoCohas beentrolling for a few years to see if the Revo catches on.
Trust me, their question has already been answered, and it's "Hell no"..

Old 12-25-2006 | 05:59 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member

We believe in going our own way,no matter which way the rest of the world is going.

We believe in bucking the system that's built to smash individuals like bugs on a windshield.

We believe in rumbling engines,pistons the size of garbage cans,fuel tanks designed in 1936 and freight train sized headlights.

----------Harley Daividson's Live By It Video 2006

Old 12-25-2006 | 06:56 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member

ORIGINAL: vegashd

ORIGINAL: stratplexi

Have to agree George...the internet is full of fools fodder. Lot of folks blabbing without any facts. The Motor Company isn't going to destroy iteslf by dropping air cooled bikes. They helped write the EPA regs and they have repeatabley stated the air cooled platform will satisfy all regs for the foreseeable future.

Seperately from that issue, is the marketing issue of growing into new market segments and they will expand the water cooled idea in the future but not at the expense of air cooled. But it will not be a revolution motor in a bagger like most folks spout off about. An engine that revs to 9000 is not what touring is about. They will have to develop a large displacement, LOW TORQUE, LOW REVVING, platform. Hide the radiater in the lowers and keep it 45 degrees and with small fins so it looks air cooled.
Is this just like them denying they will EVER build a water cooled bike just 14 months before the release of the Vrod and 2 years into its development?

The MOCO will have no choice in the future. If you think they helped right the regs you are considerably mistaken. They would not be pushing wuiet bikes, cleaner running, etc. they are a small entity with all the other manufactures out there. They hold one of the smallest pieces of the puzzle. Its beenhappening to big car manufactures for years. HD is just the last one to start to get there act together.
No sir...you are mistaken. The Motor Company worked with the EPA for years helping develop the 06 regs and the 2010 regs. This is common knowledge. They have been stating this for years in the Enthusiest mag and yes they have been stating for years (over and over), the air cooled motor will meet all of the regs.

I am not going to argue the point any further. If you don't want to accept the facts, I can't help you. Continue on...

Old 12-25-2006 | 07:02 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Panhead_1_9_4_8

ORIGINAL: George C

You guys crack me up..
Just how do you link a liquid cooled engine and a cleaner burning engine together?
Just how do you dismiss the air cooled engine as something unworkable?
Do you really think your "dealer" has any knowledgeconcerningclean air engine technology?
You guys flame your dealers as morons, but then you think they are also geniuses when they answer absurd questions to your liking..
Do you think you guys have any more knowledge when it comes to making an engine burn cleaner?
Is liquid cooling some kind of total cure for the small motorcycle engine?

I got to admit, this place can be an intellectual wasteland.
George,

First off ... I wouldn't count on any present standards staying the same once GW is gone. Having said that, cleaner leaner motors have to be watercooled because of the tremendous heat. That's just how it is.
At some point, the air cooled motor will go bye bye.
Air cooled motors may go bye bye at some point. But it is not the 2010 EPA regs that will do it. They can already meet them. They will go bye bye when the market says so. The Motor Co. just redesigned the motor and oil pump with new patents that will be good through 2014. You will at least see the Twin Cam around until then. The TC 88 lasted from 99 -06 ( 7 year patent life).

Old 12-25-2006 | 07:51 PM
softail2005
Road Captain

This is the first real serious year of noise and pollution regulation that Harley has had to deal with. The EPA will squeeze each year now just like they do with the auto industry. They will get more dollars in fees and permits and start building a large administration to control bike noise and pollution.

Many of the small hand mfg are toying with having to "pay-off" the EPA in fees to continue to build their bikes. Its like legalized extortion and once they get their foot in the door its going to get tougher every year. Thats all they do folks to justify their existance year by year. Not a fun group to deal with.

Old 12-25-2006 | 08:25 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: George C

You guys crack me up..
Just how do you link a liquid cooled engine and a cleaner burning engine together?
Just how do you dismiss the air cooled engine as something unworkable?
Do you really think your "dealer" has any knowledge concerning clean air engine technology?
You guys flame your dealers as morons, but then you think they are also geniuses when they answer absurd questions to your liking..
Do you think you guys have any more knowledge when it comes to making an engine burn cleaner?
Is liquid cooling some kind of total cure for the small motorcycle engine?

I got to admit, this place can be an intellectual wasteland.
I don't recall that any dealer is quoted as a genius when it come to any question about past, present, or future Harley products.

I did state the line my dealer fed me. I did state he had no come back for the follow up question.

Whether you like it or not George, the dealer is going to quote MOCO mantra for the most part and will change his tune like the wind shifts to keep customers coming thru his front doors and the HD logo on his front sign.

I personally would like to see something done about the amount of heat the 06 and 07 engines produce. Heat was not as big an issue with the 05 and earlier models.

Sorry you feel the rest of us are not up to your "intellectual" standards.

Old 12-25-2006 | 09:45 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Here's an idea.....

When they do it....just buy older models, resotre them and ride! Guys have been doing this since the shovelhead quit production in 1983-84 (?)

PERSONALLY....I don't want a water cooled H/D.......I had a water cooled Kawasaki...a Vulcan 800A. the radiator was hidden in the downtubes....very clean....I have pictures in my album. Very nice motorcycle....a real gem at 5K out the door. Put another 5K into it and she was 98% done!

I will abandon H/D if they do this......A cruiser with a V-Rod engine, is not going to be successful....that's why they don't make Magna V-45 bikes anymore....people don't want that.....

SERIOUSLY, I would go VTX 1800 before I go V-Rod motored DYNA

Joe
[&:]

Old 12-25-2006 | 09:50 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member

I think the MOCO is between the proverbial rock and hard place. They don't want to alienate air cooled fans but are worried about the increasing sales of the high cube high hp metrics which are water cooled. The V rod was their attempt at gaining crotch rocket riders and to float the idea of WC. AS we've read, the tc96 has been approved by the epa through 2010 or so. I do agree that the revo in a bagger makes no sense unless they go with different cams etc to give it low end. Who knows what engine is coming out of their R & D? Certainly they aren't telling. Why should they be any different than US auto makers or any other company that makes a product in keeping their future products quiet until they decide to marlet them? We'll know when they put it out for sale.

Do I love my AC evo? Yep. Would I buy a WC big inch high hp bike? Surely, as long as it had HD on it. Would I switch to a metric bike? No way ! Course, my evo ultra only has 133k miles, hardly broken in, not nealry ready to be retired.

Ride safe

Bubba

Old 12-25-2006 | 10:12 PM
Fred00
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: 55Bubba
I do agree that the revo in a bagger makes no sense unless they go with different cams etc to give it low end.
Don't know if that is needed. The Revo bikes all ready have way better passing power in 5th than the air-cooled bikes.

Old 12-26-2006 | 03:52 AM
Boxjoint
|
Tourer

I think my first post would buy them some time if it is pushed. You can buy an oil cooler but it is not ran through the cylender cases or the head. You will still have the look and sound of the air cooled bike. It would just be assisted by oil.

Quick Reply: Just some thoughts on HD future