General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modular Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 12:23 AM
TruIslander
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modular Helmet

Aight folks so I'm thinking of getting the Harley Modular helmet, but before buying anything I always try and do my homework on it. Here's the problem I can't seem to find one review on any of their helmets. So I was hoping you ladies/gents could give me some. I have a Scorpion 400 right now, but damn that thing is heavy, and when I tried on the Harley is was really light. I know I want a modular helmet but I want one that is worth buying. Shoei is out of the question because its just not made for my head. So what kind of modulars do you all ride with and whats the pros and cons! Thanks in advance for any advice you all can give!

Old 03-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Nolan N102.
Modular helmets are going to be heavier than a FF. Louder road noise than a FF. Not as strong structurally as a FF, but stronger than a 3/4 with a shield would be to protect your chin from asphalt.
Years ago, I and the ex were checking out the HD modular for her. She ended up with the better fit and finished Nolan.
The trim was coming off the HD as she was trying the fit.

I'm able to ride up to 40 mph with the front up. The better modular helmets have a chin dam that the HD at least at the time didn't.
The chin dam stops air from going between the helmet body and chin portion when in the raised position.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:27 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

I believe many of the Harley helmets are made by HJC, a Korean company. I have a full face and 3/4 by HJC, they fit well for me and a lot cheaper.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:00 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by TruIslander
Aight folks so I'm thinking of getting the Harley Modular helmet, but before buying anything I always try and do my homework on it. Here's the problem I can't seem to find one review on any of their helmets. So I was hoping you ladies/gents could give me some. I have a Scorpion 400 right now, but damn that thing is heavy, and when I tried on the Harley is was really light. I know I want a modular helmet but I want one that is worth buying. Shoei is out of the question because its just not made for my head. So what kind of modulars do you all ride with and whats the pros and cons! Thanks in advance for any advice you all can give!
Harley helmets (except some 1/2 helmet models) are just rebranded HJC helmets. They are are identical to the HJC models except the colors/graphics are different and there is no HD logo. The equivalent HJC models sell for a lot less though. Suggest getting a good fit at the dealer ship and then ordering the identical model HJC online for a lot less.

Check out helmet reviews on www.webbikeworld.com

http://www.revzilla.com/hjc-helmets?...FSQCQAod5F2W0g

Last edited by fat_tony; 03-21-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:14 AM
Jim@MilkyWay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TruIslander
Aight folks so I'm thinking of getting the Harley Modular helmet, but before buying anything I always try and do my homework on it....I know I want a modular helmet but I want one that is worth buying...So what kind of modulars do you all ride with and whats the pros and cons! Thanks in advance for any advice you all can give!
Yo Dude
I am up WAY past pumpkin time so this will be succinct. I'm no authority but I'll bet numerous brands are licensed for sell under Harley's logo. I have had a SyMax2 by HJC for about 3 years now and I had no idea how much I liked it till I bought my wife a "Harley" modular that she picked out 2 weeks ago. As it turns out it appears to be one of the KBC Stealth models. Comparing it to my SyMax2, the cheek pads are a bit too snug, the head bowl is a tiny bit loose, it does not have a inner sun visor and the vent slides look like cheap plastic and don't work or fit well. The very worst trait however, is the noise level that is obvious/deafening beginning at less than 40 mph. It isn't a simple whistle but the most distracting buffeting racket it makes. The only time I have heard a louder buffeting is when I went down for the last shuttle launch last August and was standing underneath the booster when they lite the fuse. I had my umbrella with me to keep sparks out of my hair . I took the windshield off my bike today for the first time, since getting it last month and rode it with the KBC/Harley hat. I will ride it some with both hats to compare the aerodynamics.
'Hope this gives you a few things to look at. Speaking of things to look at, here is one. The reason the KBC is so noisy compared to the HJC is because of the air gap between the fully closed (outer, if equipped with an inner) visor and the seal that is supposed to contact it. Be very observant when looking at potential purchase candidates and see how different models and possibly different samples of the same make, model and size fit in that regard. I did not know to check this because I didn't know it was a problem until I brought it home. All suppliers may not be the same, but my local supplier will not accept helmet returns or exchanges.
Whew!! I'm glad I was succinct. While we are on the subject, either on this thread, if it won't hijack it or possibly in another thread, I would like to know what people are saying about their Nolan N90 or N104 as I am looking at a replacement for the SyMax2. I don't have issues with the SyMax2 but one must be color coordinated you know.
I got somewhat long winded after all and other posts have appeared while I composed mine.

Last edited by Jim@MilkyWay; 03-21-2012 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Other posts appeared while I was composing mine
Old 03-21-2012, 04:34 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

Just recieved my 2012 Nolan N104 Modular it's light, flows a lot of air, and has one of the largest fields of vision. I put down over 300 miles last weekend hands down a winer. It is not as nosiy as my old Nolan N102 but I always wear earplugs when going over 45mph. This is the best money I've spent on a helmet yet.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:00 AM
Havic08
Tourer

I prefer modular helmets myself and started with an HD modular. As previously stated there just HJC branded helmets. I liked it, no problems with it until the cat dragged it off the table and busted the top air vent into little bits.

I recently got the new Shoei Neotec modular. Little pricey but wow its fits great. My wife has the Shoei 1100 FF and it hurts my head. The Neotec does fits great, has a visor and eyeglass channels. Its super quiet compared to the HD one I had. So far very happy with it.

Best recommendation is go try on a bunch of different ones, I went to our local metric dealer as they had bigger selection. I even went into the BMW dealer to try on some helmets, that was interesting. The fed everyone little sandwiches while you walked around.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:26 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Have you considered the Bell Revolver...got mine for under $100 @ Motorcycle Superstore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZQyZek-C6g

http://www.thebellstore.com/Helmets/revolver.html

Old 03-21-2012, 07:12 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Modular Helmet

I also have a Harley modular (HJC) that I've had about 5 years. Good helmet,good weight, good vision, and noisy. When I go from my half to the full modular (winter time), I hear new sounds everywhere. It's just the wind noise on the helmet and drove me crazy before I got use to it.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:20 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
I also have a Harley modular (HJC) that I've had about 5 years. Good helmet,good weight, good vision, and noisy. When I go from my half to the full modular (winter time), I hear new sounds everywhere. It's just the wind noise on the helmet and drove me crazy before I got use to it.
I have the HJC model modular helmet. It is the same one as the Harley melmet. I am wearing it in my Avatar picture. I agree with the above post. It is very comfortable, light and easy to take on and off, but is is crazy noisy. I just bought a HD FXRG full face helmet and am amazed at how quiet it is.

Quick Reply: Modular Helmet