General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modular Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an HJC CL15 Max Modular and it's nice, was about $200.00. I don't wear it anymore, but it's the best lid I have ever had on.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:49 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

I just received my new Shoei Neotec a couple of weeks ago. My first modular. Shoei fits my noggin better than any others I tried, including the Harley HJC. A direct comparison between the Shoei Neotec and the Harley HJC would not be fair given the Shoei is 3X the price of the HJC. I can see and tell the difference. I like the concept behind the modular and the Shoei is one of the lightest available helmets with the Shuberth being the lightest but asking another $100 over the Shoei.

Helmets are like women. They all "seem" to fit, but one fits better than all the others.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Rotlex
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Have you considered the Bell Revolver...got mine for under $100 @ Motorcycle Superstore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZQyZek-C6g

http://www.thebellstore.com/Helmets/revolver.html
Been thinking about picking up a modular for a while now, and have seen this one posted before. Looks well thought out, and in a decent price range. (Bell has always fit me well in the past). Problem is, I can't find one locally to actually see and try on. I hate ordering on line and having to return. I just might though, as it looks to be exactly what I have been looking for.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:59 AM
Manninagh
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Had a Shoei Multitec, now loving a Schuberth C3 (ridiculously expensive though it is). Lighter, quieter, less foggy due to pinlok visor, built-in sunshield.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 AM
TruIslander
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the advice, I was looking at the Bell myself but like Rotlex I can't find a spot that sells them for me to try them on. Anyone have any thoughts on the AGV or the Nexx?

Old 03-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Silvertip
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a KBC modular, wife bought a HJC a couple of years later. After 2 years of frustration with the HJC she bought a Harley Stealth. The HD Stealth is made by KBC and the two are identical. The biggest & best difference to me is that it has aluminum hinges & latches rather than plastic. The KBC/HD Stealth are so easy to flip open with one hand. It fit really snug in the cheekbone area when brand new but it didn't take very long to loosen up just right.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:51 PM
KW-HD Rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did a lot of searching for a new modular for a little extra highway protection. I found and settled on the Nolan N43E. It is modular in that you can remove the chin guard and face shield and have an open face 3/4.

I have rode about 300 miles with it so far and have noted the following; I can't take a sip of water easily as the face shield doesn't flip up like most modular's. Fairly quiet behind my fairing, decent but not great air flow (fairing hurts here). Up side is I have a face shield and chin guard for highway riding then a open face for around town if I want to without packing 2 helmets. Great field of view equal to a 3/4 or open face. Not perfect but getting close for me at least.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:03 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Have you considered the Bell Revolver...got mine for under $100 @ Motorcycle Superstore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZQyZek-C6g

http://www.thebellstore.com/Helmets/revolver.html
+1. My wife rides a Bell Revolver and really likes it. Well made and well ventilated.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:06 AM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
I just received my new Shoei Neotec a couple of weeks ago. My first modular. Shoei fits my noggin better than any others I tried, including the Harley HJC. A direct comparison between the Shoei Neotec and the Harley HJC would not be fair given the Shoei is 3X the price of the HJC. I can see and tell the difference. I like the concept behind the modular and the Shoei is one of the lightest available helmets with the Shuberth being the lightest but asking another $100 over the Shoei.

Helmets are like women. They all "seem" to fit, but one fits better than all the others.
+1 I recieved mine last week right before I took off for Daytona. Got caught in the rain on the way back so I got to wear it for a few hours in the rain. NICE!!!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:06 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Has anyone tried the new HJC RP Max modular ($400+). It supposed to be lighter and more aerodynamic so should fix the noise problems. At that price, it runs into Shoei territory so wondering if its worth the price.

Quick Reply: Modular Helmet